Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 10:35 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,797,741 times

Advertisements

Inman has an article this AM on a settlement between Zip and CA.

ZipRealty settles California labor suit for $5M | Inman News

Sure sounds like the remain in trouble and are abandoning the RE brokerage for the referral business.

That was of course one of the big attempts to run an efficient RE operation and show how it would be done without the standard commission arrangement.

Appears to have come out pretty badly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 09:42 AM

793 posts, read 2,524,412 times
Zip is down to one office in Florida

hope this helps,

Old 10-09-2012, 09:48 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,383 times
I think it's BS. I would be willing to bet think they were run out rather than went out due to bad business, but I don't think this article is telling the whole story.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:53 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,429,511 times
Zip Realty didn't do anything up in my area

Old 10-10-2012, 01:14 PM

10,963 posts, read 21,978,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
I think it's BS. I would be willing to bet think they were run out rather than went out due to bad business, but I don't think this article is telling the whole story.
What's BS about it?

Old 10-10-2012, 03:46 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
What's BS about it?
Truthfully, I wish I knew more about this story and maybe should have before saying something. I'm just not ready to believe that those agents are owed anything based on what I'm reading in that article.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Truthfully, I wish I knew more about this story and maybe should have before saying something. I'm just not ready to believe that those agents are owed anything based on what I'm reading in that article.
Than you are unfamiliar with CA labor law. That is why in virtually everywhere in the west agents are independent contractors. And note that a brokerage can lose that battle if they try and maintain too tight a hold on agents. ie - at your desk at specified times.

I am more surprised they tried the outside salesman bit. That obviously was not the way they were organized. Soon as you team anything you are going to lose that discussion.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:11 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Than you are unfamiliar with CA labor law. That is why in virtually everywhere in the west agents are independent contractors. And note that a brokerage can lose that battle if they try and maintain too tight a hold on agents. ie - at your desk at specified times.

I am more surprised they tried the outside salesman bit. That obviously was not the way they were organized. Soon as you team anything you are going to lose that discussion.
I don't see how that is proof that discount agencies should all fail...its just proof that this particular agency was trying unsuccessfully to get around paying labor taxes...it has absolutely nothing to do with the business model of a discount broker.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:34 PM

Sure it does. It says that a model predicated on salaried employees doing the work efficiently failed to pan out well enough to avoid the CA labor laws. If the employees had all been making out reasonably well with the model it would not have been possible to go after the brokerage for wages. And the article further indicates that the brokerage is basically abandoning the model for one as a referral supplier. You certainly would not do that if the model worked and you could produce the product at a lesser cost do to efficient use of resources.

"No Free Lunch"

Old 10-11-2012, 01:17 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Sure it does. It says that a model predicated on salaried employees doing the work efficiently failed to pan out well enough to avoid the CA labor laws. If the employees had all been making out reasonably well with the model it would not have been possible to go after the brokerage for wages. And the article further indicates that the brokerage is basically abandoning the model for one as a referral supplier. You certainly would not do that if the model worked and you could produce the product at a lesser cost do to efficient use of resources.

"No Free Lunch"
People change business models all the time to minimize tax implications....some of the schemes work, some dont. This is not indicative of a failed business model, rather its indicative of a failed tax model.

In law school I read case after case after case of businesses who found themselves in hot water of tax issues....Just right now Olive Garden (which I would not consider unsuccesful) is changing its policy to include tip sharing for buss boys and cooks so that they don't have to pay them the minimum wage and so that their earning are exempt from certain taxes....

Its a change in business model that could have them end up in court if the tips don't equal minimum wage....and if they dont pay it back.

I understand your argument but I don't share your conclusion that the model did not work. It just meant that the way they applied their tax scheme did not work with the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals