Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 01:08 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,677 times

Advertisements

I've seen "agents protected" in listings before. I assume the OP can use this phrase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 01:14 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
We listed our house FSBO and got it put on Realtor / MLS by a low cost listing agency. Funny thing is on the heading of our listing on realtor.com says "FSBOs get on realtor.com with xxx agency". Anyway to answer your question we always put "buyer agent protected" on our flyers.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:58 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Code of Ethics Poster

Every house is literally for sale by owner, I mean who else should be able to sell your house?

I think we need to say that the seller is unrepresented by an agency agreement, even though they are listed with a brokerage. Sometimes this is called a limited service brokerage agreement.

But once listed, other Realtors are bound by the COE not to interfere with a valid listing contract. Realtors are allowed to be contacted by Sellers, but they cannot initiate contact. Realtors are allowed to ask when the current ageement expires, but they are not allowed to give legal advice as to how to terminate a vaild contract.

As far as how to say you will cooperate with brokerages to sell your property on the flyer - try "will pay coop per MLS #xxxxxx"

Old 10-10-2007, 09:11 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
We listed our house FSBO and got it put on Realtor / MLS by a low cost listing agency. Funny thing is on the heading of our listing on realtor.com says "FSBOs get on realtor.com with xxx agency". Anyway to answer your question we always put "buyer agent protected" on our flyers.
First, that heading means your agency is using your listing to attract other sellers who want limited service. Why not a heading talking about your property? hmmm, makes me wonder whose interest is first? Yours or the company's?

Second, It needs to be clear, you are either a represented seller or unrepresented seller. Once you have an agreement with any agency, regardless of how little they are doing for you, you become a represented seller. You may have agreed to handle negotiations and contract writing and inspections on your own, but you are represented and are really no longer FSBO. that is why I prefer to use the term represented and unrepresented.

Once you sign a contract, understand what you are signing and agreeing to. If you have signed an agreement for a listing in MLS, you can specify how much commission you are offering to the selling agent. You can offer zero commission on up to whatever you deem appropriate. It will be stated in the MLS form what you are offering. So, if on the agreement you stated zero commision to the selling agent that is what is in the MLS. you can send a zillion flyers to the brokerages, but what they are seeing when they pull the listing they want to show is that you are not offering a commission. You may want to rethink that strategy. Your flyer doesn't stick in their memory and if it did, now they have conflicting information.

Shelly

Old 10-10-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
First, that heading means your agency is using your listing to attract other sellers who want limited service. Why not a heading talking about your property? hmmm, makes me wonder whose interest is first? Yours or the company's?

Second, It needs to be clear, you are either a represented seller or unrepresented seller. Once you have an agreement with any agency, regardless of how little they are doing for you, you become a represented seller. You may have agreed to handle negotiations and contract writing and inspections on your own, but you are represented and are really no longer FSBO. that is why I prefer to use the term represented and unrepresented.

Once you sign a contract, understand what you are signing and agreeing to. If you have signed an agreement for a listing in MLS, you can specify how much commission you are offering to the selling agent. You can offer zero commission on up to whatever you deem appropriate. It will be stated in the MLS form what you are offering. So, if on the agreement you stated zero commision to the selling agent that is what is in the MLS. you can send a zillion flyers to the brokerages, but what they are seeing when they pull the listing they want to show is that you are not offering a commission. You may want to rethink that strategy. Your flyer doesn't stick in their memory and if it did, now they have conflicting information.

Shelly
Huh? Why would brokerages care what commission I am offering to the selling agent if they are not listing the house? They would only care about the buying agent commission, which was offered.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:07 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,562 times
UKOK, I will explain this to you. A listing agent is not the selling agent. A selling agent is the buyers agent. they will "sell" the house. I know it is hard to get your head around the first time, but it does make sense. Now, a listing agent can be the selling agent, if they also bring the buyer.

So, when you offer zero to the selling agent you are telling the buyers agent you will pay them nothing.

shelly

Old 10-10-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
UKOK, I will explain this to you. A listing agent is not the selling agent. A selling agent is the buyers agent. they will "sell" the house. I know it is hard to get your head around the first time, but it does make sense. Now, a listing agent can be the selling agent, if they also bring the buyer.

So, when you offer zero to the selling agent you are telling the buyers agent you will pay them nothing.

shelly
Are you serious? This is the biggest load of nonsense I have ever read.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:24 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,589,470 times
A Selling agent is the one that "sells" your house. It is simply another name for a buyer's agent.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:17 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
When you sell your house, both listing agent (the one who "lists your house on the MLS") and the selling agent (the one who brings the buyer and "sells your house") typically take a commission.

The selling agent represents the buyer.

Seems confusing but that's the way they call it.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:25 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
I've seen "agents protected" in listings before. I assume the OP can use this phrase.
Let me be Naive, here . I'm not familiar with this "agents protected" phrase. I don't think I've seen that in my area. What exactly is this phrase supposed to mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals