U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 01:42 PM

85 posts, read 220,135 times

Advertisements

Ive been searching through your forums and havent quite found the answer to my question. Where would you begin to look at taking the classes necessary to fulfill the requirements to get your RE license? Is it best to contact several large agencies (Coldwell, Century21, etc) or are there specific schools that offer such classes? Once you get your license, is it tough to land a job with out any experience(Real Estate wise), or are many of the large RE agencies willing to take new agents under there wing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Also, we will be looking to begin the RE career in the Phoenix, AZ market, if anyone has any advice specific to getting started in that area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 02:09 PM

1,835 posts, read 2,900,486 times
Schooling is easy...go online to Kaplan, or any of the 100 or so other "schools" that offer the classes and take the classes at your leisure. Goto your state for the other requirements, pass the test, find a brokerage.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:15 PM

6,069 posts, read 13,935,266 times
In Phoenix the biggest one is Arizona School of Real Estate, Welcome (Arizona School of Real Estate & Business).

They have a location in Old Town Scottsdale and in Gilbert. There are other schools as well.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:24 PM

I appreciate the quick responses and will look into the AZ School of Real Estate. For the online option, is there a program that has a good reputation for positive results or all they all pretty much the same? Just didnt want to waste the money on a school that doesnt hold any merit.

Thansk again.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorn911 View Post
I appreciate the quick responses and will look into the AZ School of Real Estate. For the online option, is there a program that has a good reputation for positive results or all they all pretty much the same? Just didnt want to waste the money on a school that doesnt hold any merit.

Thansk again.
For your initial license school, I recommend the class room because you will have the opportunity to talk to the instructors, hear other students questions, and network with other students, which can result in some valuable connections.

The AZ School is excellent. I went there, and still take a lot of other classes from them, so I can highly recommend them. The others may be excellent, but I have no first hand experience.

If you study hard as you go, then when it's time to prep for the school exam, it will be easier. You must pass the school exam before you can take the state exam. If you pass the school exam you can pass the state exam.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
For your initial license school, I recommend the class room because you will have the opportunity to talk to the instructors, hear other students questions, and network with other students, which can result in some valuable connections.

The AZ School is excellent. I went there, and still take a lot of other classes from them, so I can highly recommend them. The others may be excellent, but I have no first hand experience.

If you study hard as you go, then when it's time to prep for the school exam, it will be easier. You must pass the school exam before you can take the state exam. If you pass the school exam you can pass the state exam.

Excellent. Do you have any recommendations as to any brokers in the Phoenix area that are known to train and offer great opportunities to new agents that turns into a successful RE career?

Old 12-14-2012, 03:26 PM

1,835 posts, read 2,900,486 times
Quote:

Thansk again.

I don't know anything about the quality of the schools...I took the Kaplan online class for National and for Texas. The materials were pretty thorough, but I did not read any of the books - just the exam prep material. The books would take months to get through and there is so much in them that absolutely will not be tested. They test the same concepts repeatedly...and that is drilled home in the class online.

As to the test itself, I expect the Arizona exam is extremely similar to the Texas one...obviously the National portion is the same...the Test is VERY easy and its multiple choice. There are 4 answers, 2 of which are so obviously wrong...Then there were 2 answers that you may have to think about.

Im not sure your intelligence or test taking abilities but I found the entire exam to be exceptionally easy. I missed only 2 questions out of I believe 110 or 140...something like that. (there are extra questions that dont count on the exam but are graded for future testing purposes)

All in all - Im sure the stand alone facilities are excellent institutions for learning/networking but I do not think I would waste my time taking their physical classes...In the time spent commuting/breaks, etc - I could finish the online classes required in 1/5 the time...I also suspect the online version is cheaper. I spent only $140 or $190 total for the class and a review book.

Your on your own for a broker in your area...Bill is a broker though, maybe he will hire you

Old 12-14-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Excellent. Do you have any recommendations as to any brokers in the Phoenix area that are known to train and offer great opportunities to new agents that turns into a successful RE career?
It wouldn't benefit you to work for me because I don't have time to train.

Talk to David Dion on the telephone, owner of Solutions Realty. They are an aggressive company with good marketing program, and some good training.

Solutions Real Estate
2353 E Baseline Rd
Gilbert,AZ 85234
480-838-9613

Here is his "Join Solutions" page with training info. But do telephone him. Join Solutions

When you talk to David, ask if, in addition to their training, they have coaches there, mentors, who will work with you one on one so you can shadow them sometimes to see how they work. A mentor inside the company is very helpful because s/he will be the one to review your paperwork for any transaction before it's turned into the office, (keeps you out of trouble) and will be available for the multitude of questions that will come up.

I agree with Marksmu that online training is a time saver. However, for a new agent I think the class room gives the networking advantage for the new agent. The more people you can talk to, the more ideas you'll get from them.

You will need to start talking to someone about what it takes to run your own independent contractor business after you get your license, because that is what you'll be doing. You should have enough resources to carry you without any income, but with expenses, for at least 6 months. The license course is only to teach you to pass the state exam. Not how to succeed in real estate.

Have someone talk to you about determining all the business expenses, so you can begin to start working on a business plan. You can discuss those things with David, and he may have some information like that in his office.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
I don't know anything about the quality of the schools...I took the Kaplan online class for National and for Texas. The materials were pretty thorough, but I did not read any of the books - just the exam prep material. The books would take months to get through and there is so much in them that absolutely will not be tested. They test the same concepts repeatedly...and that is drilled home in the class online.

As to the test itself, I expect the Arizona exam is extremely similar to the Texas one...obviously the National portion is the same...the Test is VERY easy and its multiple choice. There are 4 answers, 2 of which are so obviously wrong...Then there were 2 answers that you may have to think about.

Im not sure your intelligence or test taking abilities but I found the entire exam to be exceptionally easy. I missed only 2 questions out of I believe 110 or 140...something like that. (there are extra questions that dont count on the exam but are graded for future testing purposes)

All in all - Im sure the stand alone facilities are excellent institutions for learning/networking but I do not think I would waste my time taking their physical classes...In the time spent commuting/breaks, etc - I could finish the online classes required in 1/5 the time...I also suspect the online version is cheaper. I spent only $140 or $190 total for the class and a review book.

Your on your own for a broker in your area...Bill is a broker though, maybe he will hire you

In Arizona you must attend classes for your real estate license,only continuing education credits can be done online.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:52 AM

10,229 posts, read 19,986,778 times
Before you pay and invest the time in school you should go meet some of the real estate companies in the area and make sure it's what you want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals