Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 06:28 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I guess it depends on the person. I guess that is in general even for other degrees whether online or in person is better.
Wireyourworld I am confused you took the online class and then had to take a 45 hour class in person or online? I thought the online class was the only class and once you past that then you took a state exam. Though I know things vary state to state
Bentlebee I think may have meant in general. You know how in groups even often 1 person will ask a huge amount of questions or take up more time then others?
I did both the 63 hour prelicensing and 45 hour post licensing courses online.

I have also, just a few months ago, taken the 18 hour CAM, community association manager, course, which at that time was required to be in a classroom. That was the horrid one. Biggest waste of time and $300. But state required in classroom time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 08:40 AM

797 posts, read 3,580,425 times
You are 100% spot on. I just finished my licensing course here in NC, and I found it absolutely ridiculous that i had to waste 3 months in a class twice a week for 3 hours each time where 90% of the questions people were asking were not even relevant to the course material, just tangents. NC really should allow online instruction. Getting your RE license is so simple, if you can read a book and take a test that is all you need to do. You don't need to be physically sitting there for all of those class hours. You spend 2 weeks reading the book and most people will pass it with flying colors (and if they don't, maybe they should do classroom instruction then). I just hate how the RE commission in NC is so anti-online instruction for licensing. Just archaic way of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I took all my classes online and prefered it due to not wasting time with stupid questions from people sitting in a class room who did't pay attention and asking the same thing that has already been addressed.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:46 AM

797 posts, read 3,580,425 times
Of course there is a split in the transactions (60/40), but I don't view that as a fee b/c they are not a recurring/monthly obligation. The firm provides E&O insurance for me for free. I am a provisional broker obviously since I just got my license. Gotta get my 2 years in before I can go on my own. I got my RE license first and foremost for RE investment reasons as I begin to acquire more properties, ultimately in a few years working for myself doing a turnkey brokerage/investment company/property management situation. I do want to take listings and be a buyer's agent, as time permits. Thus why I am working 5-10 hours a week. I am ahead of the game of the average provisional broker b/c of my background and having already bought, sold, and closed about 10 properties by myself over the years without a broker but while working with sellers and their brokers. It really is just about experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
No split at all on transactions?
And you are uninsured?
Of course, since you are working unsupervised, you are not a provisional broker, but have taken post-licensing classes and passed the broker's test?

Old 06-28-2013, 09:07 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Of course there is a split in the transactions (60/40), but I don't view that as a fee b/c they are not a recurring/monthly obligation. The firm provides E&O insurance for me for free. I am a provisional broker obviously since I just got my license. Gotta get my 2 years in before I can go on my own. I got my RE license first and foremost for RE investment reasons as I begin to acquire more properties, ultimately in a few years working for myself doing a turnkey brokerage/investment company/property management situation. I do want to take listings and be a buyer's agent, as time permits. Thus why I am working 5-10 hours a week. I am ahead of the game of the average provisional broker b/c of my background and having already bought, sold, and closed about 10 properties by myself over the years without a broker but while working with sellers and their brokers. It really is just about experience.
I believe you can remove the provisional status and can be a broker as soon as you complete the 90 hours of post-licensing coursework and testing.
I did the pre- and post-licensing classes more or less back to back and was never active as a provisional broker. But that was before some of the rules changes.
I never wanted to have to submit everything I did to a BIC for approval.

You just cannot declare as a BIC until you have two years of work under a BIC.

I consider a split as a fee. It all spends the same.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:03 AM

30 posts, read 52,175 times
Yes i agree with bentlebee it would be good if you would take classes online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals