Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 12:45 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,019 times

Advertisements

Given your background, you may want to do what I did and get into the underwriting/analyst side of Real Estate unless you're dying to work in sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 12:54 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
Take this test - it's free, then tell us the results Personal Strengths Profile | DISC self-assessment profile | Understand yourself | AnthonyRobbins.com

Old 07-23-2013, 05:48 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
Apologies in advance for hijacking the thread a bit. Thanks for the link 2B.

Apparently I am totally unsuited for my position!

Actually it explains why I am a terrible employee. Nice twist on the Myers-Briggs personality "test". The worst thing in this one is that it seems as if I have migrated closer to the center of the matrix as I have grown older.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:50 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kianfar View Post
The responses are rather disappointing. However, I rather read these than over promise myself and have a reality check 2 years into the field. I don't have any family responsibilities, and also don't spend much. As such, putting in heavy hours into the field is not an issue given it yields a nice return financially. However from my understanding, it seems as though being unemployed a bit longer and finding an accounting related job that pays 60K a year might be a better fit. I'll see what others have to say. It seems like it's best to get into this field part time.
I strongly disagree with your last statement. The most important thing you or any of us has to do is prospect. When you're in the business successfully for 10 years, most of your prospecting will be your existing base, until then it's going to be mostly new people that you haven't met and for that you're going to have to sit in open houses, desk duty, door knock and other time consuming activities that you may not like doing. I found the most surprising thing is how few of my "sphere of influence" was willing to work with me when I was new. Everybody knows one or two agents already and the people who know you now know you as Kianfar the accountant and think of you that way. It's only those that I met after getting active in this field that know me as a real estate expert and I'm constantly reminding them of that fact. You'll find those who constantly boast about a low barrier to entry, I will remind you that there is a high barrier to success. When I became a sales agent in the go-go year of 2005, I was told that 80% of us would not make the next license barrier in two years.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:57 PM

9 posts, read 39,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
I strongly disagree with your last statement. The most important thing you or any of us has to do is prospect. When you're in the business successfully for 10 years, most of your prospecting will be your existing base, until then it's going to be mostly new people that you haven't met and for that you're going to have to sit in open houses, desk duty, door knock and other time consuming activities that you may not like doing. I found the most surprising thing is how few of my "sphere of influence" was willing to work with me when I was new. Everybody knows one or two agents already and the people who know you now know you as Kianfar the accountant and think of you that way. It's only those that I met after getting active in this field that know me as a real estate expert and I'm constantly reminding them of that fact. You'll find those who constantly boast about a low barrier to entry, I will remind you that there is a high barrier to success. When I became a sales agent in the go-go year of 2005, I was told that 80% of us would not make the next license barrier in two years.
How's business going for you right now?

Old 07-23-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
Given your background, you may want to do what I did and get into the underwriting/analyst side of Real Estate unless you're dying to work in sales.
How's that treating you? I'm not dying to be in real estate sales lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Did not find any test inside the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Apologies in advance for hijacking the thread a bit. Thanks for the link 2B.

Apparently I am totally unsuited for my position!

Actually it explains why I am a terrible employee. Nice twist on the Myers-Briggs personality "test". The worst thing in this one is that it seems as if I have migrated closer to the center of the matrix as I have grown older.
How did you start the test?

Old 07-24-2013, 05:29 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,019 times
I love it. I left sales and started working for a national builder doing land acquisition. I miss the interaction but I wanted to work much larger ($10M +) deals than the pittance from resales. I have one more semester at Hopkins left and I will have a M.S. in real estate development so should set me up well.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:15 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
As a follow up, you asked about the first year of commissions. If you work hard at this, your income will build each year, just like starting a new business. If you you work hard at your accounting job, you income will raise at 2-5% per year depending on your work and the economy. And you will be stuck in a cubicle, unless you get into auditing, then you will be all over the country working in some other company's cubicle.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:03 PM

You know it's funny, they say "Accounting" and "Accountants" will always have a job, and job security is very high. I've graduated with decent experience, decent GPA and despite the horrible work condition you just described, no one is offering the pitty 50-60K they promised when handing out the "Accounting is the safest degree" pamphlets at school. I feel so suckered in for all those heavy hours I stayed at school library trying to learn everything under the sun for my hard accounting classes. It certainly is paying off well lol.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:46 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kianfar View Post
How's business going for you right now?
Thank you for asking. 2012 was my best year ever and I was recognized nationally by my company. In 2013 I am a little behind that exhaustive pace I set, but I am focusing more on listings rather than buyers and higher prices for buyers. I am also doing a bit more repeat business as my early clients are starting to develop equity and think about moving. As always, I have a long term view and am building for the next 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals