Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 12:25 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,981,025 times

Advertisements

I feel so ashamed, here I went and figured 25k was enough.... Hey I know, I'll return one of my son's christmas presents and take that money and give it to my "starving" agent. I'm sorry for being so sarcastic but I really can't find a whole lot of sympathy for agents right now considering many people are going to be or are already out of work in the construction and related industries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 04:16 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,674,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aomething View Post
I agree with Verobeach. When the house sells, he's getting 6%
I don't think he's getting the whole 6%, as he probably has to divvy that up with the selling agent and their respective brokers, but yeah, he's getting paid once it sells.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:14 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,076,755 times
ditto verobeach...I am utilizing my agent's services, she is getting paid...she's done a great job but I don't see any reason to add her to my Christmas shopping list. Or the mortgage guy, the home inspection guy, the lady at the title company, the grocery store cashier...nope nope nope. I give gifts to people I have personal relationships with, not professionals I purchase services from. (Although I do tip extra to those service providers who live on tips).

Old 11-13-2007, 09:20 PM

306 posts, read 1,135,856 times
Default In need of a career change?

For your realtor, how about a copy of "What color is my parachute"?.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:59 AM

631 posts, read 2,443,985 times
Now I see why there is not usually much bonding with the sellers of agents and more with the buyers.

The seller only sees what they pay after the deal is done. Not what the agent went thru to get the sale to happen.

I'm not expecting anything, but I know some of my buyers will send me cards.

For my sellers on one ranch, I'm gone from morning till night to show their property due to distance. I would ruin a tire everytime I went there due to crushed rock roads. (finally bought 10 plys just for that ranch) If I break down it's a $250. tow bill to town. I get cactus in my feet and I'm watching out for snakes and bulls(ranch), a couple of days ago the new wolf sighting. I load up the trailer and ATV for folks that can't hike and want to see lots of lots. I deal with dirt in my face,eyes and mouth on windy days, I spend a tank of gas, OT for the babysitter and a whole day away from the office on the unlikely chance someone will buy a lot in there as it's a tough sale but I do chip away at them. The lots are priced low so the commission is not that great. I love the job, the pay is not great, it costs allot to do it. yeahh, I'd say from those folks a card would be appreciated.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:45 AM

582 posts, read 2,008,436 times
Keeperk, I agree that if someone is going through all of that to get the house or land sold then a card is definitely worth sending. However, would you expect the people who own that property now to send you a gift basket or (as the OP suggested) a ham? I don't think agent expect to get gifts from their clients, at least not something like that...

However, from the way that played so neatly into a picture and suggestion of that particular type of ham I'm thinking the OP sells them and is hoping people PM them to find out where to get that ham.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:24 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,674,127 times
keeperk, I'm sorry if I've offended you or the other the realtors and real estate professionals here. I feel I show my appreciation to my real estate agent through my good recommendation to other people. I'm sure my agent doesn't expect a holiday ham from me for Christmas. And quite frankly, I don't feel obliged to do so.

When I did the small biz thing, I got tons of promo gifts from vendors. I'd often send gifts to clients and potential customers. That's the way the business works.

I do send a seasons greeting card to my real estate agent (and others that provide professional services, like lawyer/accountant/headhunter) and give a gift card to people where that's appropriate (mail and package delivery, garbage collector, housecleaning, haircut).

Old 11-14-2007, 07:31 PM

231 posts, read 1,141,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M View Post
For your realtor, how about a copy of "What color is my parachute"?.
I though they stopped making that in the mid-80's? Don't tell me they have
been updating that for 25 years? If so, thats a better franchise than the chicken soup for the soul books!

Old 11-14-2007, 07:32 PM

231 posts, read 1,141,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeperk View Post
Now I see why there is not usually much bonding with the sellers of agents and more with the buyers.

The seller only sees what they pay after the deal is done. Not what the agent went thru to get the sale to happen.

I'm not expecting anything, but I know some of my buyers will send me cards.

For my sellers on one ranch, I'm gone from morning till night to show their property due to distance. I would ruin a tire everytime I went there due to crushed rock roads. (finally bought 10 plys just for that ranch) If I break down it's a $250. tow bill to town. I get cactus in my feet and I'm watching out for snakes and bulls(ranch), a couple of days ago the new wolf sighting. I load up the trailer and ATV for folks that can't hike and want to see lots of lots. I deal with dirt in my face,eyes and mouth on windy days, I spend a tank of gas, OT for the babysitter and a whole day away from the office on the unlikely chance someone will buy a lot in there as it's a tough sale but I do chip away at them. The lots are priced low so the commission is not that great. I love the job, the pay is not great, it costs allot to do it. yeahh, I'd say from those folks a card would be appreciated.
How about a lump of coal?

Old 11-15-2007, 06:22 AM

631 posts, read 2,443,985 times
Jinxor, we don't get offended that easily. It never occured to me about gifts until I read this thread. I've never expected one and it's always shocking and a warm surprise when I get one. Just got me to thinking, I've never received a gift from a seller, don't remember any thank you's even on the miracle sales, but I do from time to time from buyers. The only sellers I'm close to are the ones who have bought from me in the past.

Sara,
I think you're right about the ham!
Business has been slow, sure hope someone buys me a ham this year! I'll be waiting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals