U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-17-2013, 07:07 AM
 
3,382 posts, read 1,592,951 times
Reputation: 1894

Advertisements

I recently came across a website called "Estately".

Went to their site and looked up a local house for sale on my street and a box appeared for me to schedule a showing if I wanted. Turns out this company does not have any agents or list any homes. They will "refer" me to a local agent and earn 30% if I buy something through them.

Kind of misleading for me as a consumer who is looking at houses - but the question I have is .. 30% referral fee? If I buy a 250k house and the buyers agent gets 3%, that's over $2k to them.

They say they have over 600 agents ready to show homes so those agents must see value somehow. Why would agents pay so much and agree to this setup?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2013, 07:23 AM
 
4,454 posts, read 7,786,782 times
Reputation: 6357
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Why would agents pay so much and agree to this setup?
A $1 commission from a lead that comes to you without you lifting a finger is better than $0 commission.

That said..... it would be better to just use that web site, find the house you want, then use a local buyers agent that "you choose" to show the house to you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2013, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
31,077 posts, read 54,374,528 times
Reputation: 29572
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
I recently came across a website called "Estately".

Went to their site and looked up a local house for sale on my street and a box appeared for me to schedule a showing if I wanted. Turns out this company does not have any agents or list any homes. They will "refer" me to a local agent and earn 30% if I buy something through them.

Kind of misleading for me as a consumer who is looking at houses - but the question I have is .. 30% referral fee? If I buy a 250k house and the buyers agent gets 3%, that's over $2k to them.

They say they have over 600 agents ready to show homes so those agents must see value somehow. Why would agents pay so much and agree to this setup?
Most third party real estate sales lead generation sites are no more than flesh-peddlers.
They collect your information and sell it to the highest bidder, without qualifying the agent's scruples or skills in any other manner. Some sites are a bit more polished than others, but the selling of your information is the end game.

Agents pay for that information via referral fees, or monthly fees, or a combination of both, and consider it as just another advertising expense.

You could also have found the same property on your local MLS retail side, or on a local agent's IDX (Internet Data Exchange) search page. There would be no referral fee, and you could directly contact that agent to represent you as a buyers' agent, if you so desired.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2013, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,824 posts, read 12,370,404 times
Reputation: 2103
Yes, it is horrible. One of our local competitor offices acknowledges that over 30% of their listings come from referral companies. As the principal broker of my firm, I can tell you that we see only 1% to 2% of all of our business from referral biz. We would gladly do more, but no where near 30% of our business.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2013, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Salem, OR
13,689 posts, read 31,133,653 times
Reputation: 11999
It is so much because they are too many agents out there and for many agents paying someone 30% to hand them business is easier than trying to market themselves.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2013, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,824 posts, read 12,370,404 times
Reputation: 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It is so much because they are too many agents out there and for many agents paying someone 30% to hand them business is easier than trying to market themselves.
Absolutely FACT!!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2018, 03:12 PM
 
1 posts, read 62 times
Reputation: 10
You should always use a 0% referral fee service. Check out [url]https://homeopenly.com[/url]
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top