Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

House showing: timely appointments, short notice, lock boxes, high maintenance, listing agents

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 11:06 AM

35 posts, read 218,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
Just goes to show you how unreliable that method is now doesn't it? Look at all the time wasted and the inconvenience you put everyone through. I'm sure that wasn't your intent but that's what it was all the same.

As for listing agents being at the homes....in our area it is not at all unreasonable for an agent on a 'high end' listing to be in contract with the owner to be present. What is unreasonable is for that listing agent to be interferring in any way shape or form with the buyer and the presentation to the buyer. That is the job of the sales associate accompanying the buyer. They should be answering questions when asked and should be stepping outside of ear shot of conversations going on between the buyer and their sales associate. If there are certain 'extras' or points of interest in the house, they should have a marketing sheet of those highlights and/or a disc highlighting those things that they can give out. On the way out, or in, it is entirely appropriate for them to be saying don't miss such and such or did you see it had such and such. Other than that, open the door, let the buyers know you are there if they need you, step aside and follow up!
As for the 24 hr notice, it's a request, generally not written in stone as it wasn't in your situation. Seems to me they all tried their best to accommodate you. Unfortunately your agent didn't control them too well during the showings. But in reality, it was your situation, that you set yourself up for by doing all that research on your own and not relying on your agent, choosing the wrong area in a place you know nothing about and alotting way to little time that created the whole thing.
Hope you found something! If not, I hope you learned something so it can be a more pleasant experience for everyone next time!
Sounds like someone has a chip on their shoulder... could it be because nothing's selling in Florida, lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 11:27 AM

781 posts, read 3,816,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGirl2 View Post
Secondly, last-minute changes are a part of everyone's job, and the clients' needs should always prevail. The ability of a professional in any industry to graciously handle these situations is what separates the real professionals from the wannabes, IMHO.
Exactly.....

Old 11-16-2007, 01:37 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGirl2 View Post
Wow, how to respond... First of all, I strongly disagree that my internet research time was big waste because I was able to effectively determine which area of the state was best suited to our lifestyle and living requirements. That is not a decision that I would delegate to anyone else, let alone a realtor. In addition, once we identified the right area, and it WAS the right area, we selected properties and requested floorplans, narrowing down our interest list to those that suited our needs. The problem with some of those properties was their placement on their respective lots, which did not appeal to me. That's also something that a realtor, especially one who does not know me, could not possibly determine.

Secondly, last-minute changes are a part of everyone's job, and the clients' needs should always prevail. The ability of a professional in any industry to graciously handle these situations is what separates the real professionals from the wannabes, IMHO.

Very well put. I agree 100%.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:25 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,694 times
I don't have a chip on my shoulder and I'm doing quite well this year, lol. While a search on the internet from across the lands is a great idea in order to assist someone in deciding where they would like to relocate to and if it's a 'good' place for them, state and area-wise, it certainly, when you are not from the area, is not the best way to decide what homes to look at or the neighborhoods to look in. If you don't know the neighborhoods, the 'feel' of those neighborhoods, the layout of the land so to speak, IMO, it's ridiculous to allow yourself A DAY to go and purchase a home. If you aren't going to speak with you Realtor, ask questions about the lay of the land, convey your preferences regarding yard sizes, differences of the various subdivisions/communities etc, and listen to their advice since they KNOW the area, then you're going to get what the op got. Frustrated and annoyed.
It appears to me that the agents involved DID graciously adjust their schedules. After all, the op got in to homes that require 24hr notice with only a couple of hours notice. I was addressing the complaint that they should have somehow done more or things differently. They already have schedules, clients, families, etc. Contrary to what is being touted...you aren't the only client/buyer/seller out there. The op set themself and the Realtors involved up for the situation. It didn't just create itself, they created it by thinking they understood the area and what the internet can/can't do for you. I work heavily with relocators, I've relocated myself, and I know how much work is involved and what the pitfalls are. Those experiences give me insight that allows me to assist my customers to have a much more productive and pleasurable experience. That's my goal and a very large part of my job/service. It's ok if you'd like to work with someone else and I would wish you nothing but the best.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:23 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,584 times
I'm in general agreement with you, CaliGirl2. Here's why:

First, as a listing agent, I feel it's important to let the buyer be able to hear herself think when she sees a home, particularly the first time.

Second, as a listing agent, I understand that the rapport between the buyer and her agent is primary. The comfort the prospective buyer enjoys in the company of her own agent should allow the buyer the best possible experience of the house.

When I am showing a house with a buyer client, I find a lot of talking to be very distracting, unless the buyer gets excited and begins asking a lot of questions. Even in this case though, I think it's best if I write them down so they can be thoroughly researched and discussed. I appreciate having lights on if possible, and I appreciate not having music left on for me. I myself need peace and quiet during a showing, in order to get a feel for the place myself. Even if my buyer isn't as easily distracted as I, peace and quiet never hurts, and sometimes, It's essential, as you set forth above.

In some circumstances, it makes sense for the listing agent to be at the property. If my buyer client asks for somebody else to be present at the second showing, for instance. But I find when agents insist on it foir an initial showing it's almost always a hinderance oin one way or another.

Thanks,
David Beckett

Old 11-18-2007, 01:45 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
As I seller, I insist that my agent is present at all showings. Furthermore, in the community that I live in, lock boxes are not allowed. If someone is making a living in sales, they need to be involved in the sale. Real estate agents should be present at all showings. I've worked with some agents that have had assistant and that's fine, as long as the assistant know the property as intimately as the listing agent.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:44 PM

422 posts, read 1,366,384 times
Im confused. Is it a Listing Agent or a Sales Agent? Im just trying to understand since its new construction.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:13 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
I'm in general agreement with you, CaliGirl2. Here's why:

First, as a listing agent, I feel it's important to let the buyer be able to hear herself think when she sees a home, particularly the first time.

Second, as a listing agent, I understand that the rapport between the buyer and her agent is primary. The comfort the prospective buyer enjoys in the company of her own agent should allow the buyer the best possible experience of the house.

When I am showing a house with a buyer client, I find a lot of talking to be very distracting, unless the buyer gets excited and begins asking a lot of questions. Even in this case though, I think it's best if I write them down so they can be thoroughly researched and discussed. I appreciate having lights on if possible, and I appreciate not having music left on for me. I myself need peace and quiet during a showing, in order to get a feel for the place myself. Even if my buyer isn't as easily distracted as I, peace and quiet never hurts, and sometimes, It's essential, as you set forth above.

In some circumstances, it makes sense for the listing agent to be at the property. If my buyer client asks for somebody else to be present at the second showing, for instance. But I find when agents insist on it foir an initial showing it's almost always a hinderance oin one way or another.

Thanks,
David Beckett
Yeah david I agree especially with FTB's
They require a lot of hand holding and they really are depending on you to let them know if something is normal or expected
and they really need to be led back down to earth after EVERY home they see

I kinda like my approach...I work almost exclusively with FTB and low income
(I have never sold a home over $200,000 in ATL)

First off I give them a limited amount of inventory 3 or 4 houses per showing

2nd I print them a copy of the buyers report it is theirs to keep IF THEY ARE A CLIENT they can write doodle take notes ...but I do ask them to write down they 3 things they like the most and dislike the most while we are touring that property

next...at the end of the day I ask them to go over their pros and cons of each house and tell me of the houses which they liked the best EVEN IF THEY DON'T WANT TO PUCHASE ANY OF THEM this info I use to set up next weeks showings

believe it or not it helps THEM realize things that they didn't even know were important to them in a home because they have never treaded those waters before

Old 11-19-2007, 06:18 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,694 times
lol, confusing isn't it? They are all sales agents. The listing agent is the one that has the listing agreement with the seller. They are also known as the seller's agent. The other side of the coin is the buyer. They are the buyer's agent or selling agent.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:03 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
As I seller, I insist that my agent is present at all showings. Furthermore, in the community that I live in, lock boxes are not allowed. If someone is making a living in sales, they need to be involved in the sale. Real estate agents should be present at all showings. I've worked with some agents that have had assistant and that's fine, as long as the assistant know the property as intimately as the listing agent.
Practices vary by area. And if a seller has a good reason to stop a showing I can't make, I'll do whatever it takes. But I always counsel sellers that the more preconditions they set for showings, the less showings they'll have.

I used to feel strongly as you feel, LisaK.
One of my sellers said "yes, but what if you're not available?" I replied (I was new then) "but I'll always be available for you". I meant it too.

One day I was at the dentist, and an agent who had an out of town buyer here for one day tried to show a brand new listing of mine. She saw my notation in the MLS "listing agent must be present". She wrote an offer on another house and put the buyer back on the plane. That buyer closed on the new home not long after. The agent later told me she'd have been very surprised if her buyer didn't like mine better, since it had the one characteristic her buyer had told her was at the top of her list. But (as she said) "If I can't get in your listing...how can I sell it?"

I make a living in sales. But I learned long ago to get out of my own way and put the client's needs first. As a listing agent I now understand that insisting on my presence at a showing can very well be an impediment to sale.

In a perfect world, I could be everywhere at once, and buyers woud always give 48 hours notice and pay cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals