Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 03:58 PM

396 posts, read 1,851,106 times

Advertisements

When I first hired a buyer's agent to represent me, I had him make the exclusive representation agreement specific to only one home. I wanted to first see how we meshed (personalities and business-sense) before continue onto other properties. The buyer's agent was very nice and insisted that he didn't want me to sign a representation agreement: If things didn't work out between us, then he wouldn't hold me to a commission if I bought that property through another buyer's agent. I insisted that we sign an exclusive agreeement for that property. He seemed a little offended, but acquiesced.

Eventually we made our written offer. We decided the counter offer was too high. Now I am pursuing another property with my same buyer's agent. However, we don't have an updated exclusive representation offer.

Is it important to have a signed exclusive representation contract that reflects that he is now my buyer's agent for all properties in the area? Can the listing agent deny my buyer's agent his share of the commission if my agent doesn't produce a copy of his exclusive rep deal?

Since my buyer's agent was a little irked the first time I insisted on the exclusive representation agreement: I am thinking about just updating our first agreement, initial + date the changes, and then send him a PDF scan. Is that sufficient?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 05:12 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
In Florida he will get paid if it is any one in the MLS. If it is a FSBO than he will need to ask upfront.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:50 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
Some agents like them, some agents never use them. Personally I use them about half the time, depending on the situation. You can get a sense for how the relationship is working or what the clients expectations are. If I get an feeling that the buyer is just using me as a chauffeur and is going to call his brother-in-law once he finds a house I will insist on it.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
I won't sign any type of agreement. I expect you to trust me because I am trusting you with FAR more important and sensitive information than you are providing me with. I won't go behind your back to save a buck but if I don't like your style we part ways.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:45 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Some agents in certain states have posted on here that these agreements are required in their state. They are not a requirement here in MA and I have never used them. I've never had a problem getting a commission without a contract.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:49 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
If a agreement is signed and necessary I would want it amended that if you are doing a **** poor job to have the ability to cancel the contract with absolutely no penalties to me and no advantages to you.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:23 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,019 times
they are a requirement in Connecticut to show other listings that are not your company's

Old 10-13-2014, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,189 times
Default when do you have them sign it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Some agents like them, some agents never use them. Personally I use them about half the time, depending on the situation. You can get a sense for how the relationship is working or what the clients expectations are. If I get an feeling that the buyer is just using me as a chauffeur and is going to call his brother-in-law once he finds a house I will insist on it.
When do you insist? When you first meet them or second time around?
I am out of state. Our realtor showed us around when i was up there for 3 days and never mentioned a BAA. He knows i am now coming back up there and i sent him 7 specific properties i am interested in. He told me he wanted to go over everything the week before i came up. I thought he meant properties we will look at and i told him i want to go over them alittle over a week since the week before i will be getting ready to come up. I am leaving wed. He sent me the BAA a few days ago to sign and keeps telling me that i need to sign the documents before he takes me back out. The documents state that he is my exclusive agent for 1 year and that i would be paying a 3% commission. Is this standard? He has already put a bad taste in my mouth sending this to me to sign right before i am leaving. I feel it was done purposely so i wouldnt have time to review them and i would just sign them. If i was just wanting him to drive me around would i be the one doing all the work and sending him the properties?! I dont think so. I have asked on numerous occassions to send me properties and he only has sent me once weeks ago. Nothing now before i come up there.
Please advise.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:02 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocomon1 View Post
When do you insist? When you first meet them or second time around?
I am out of state. Our realtor showed us around when i was up there for 3 days and never mentioned a BAA. He knows i am now coming back up there and i sent him 7 specific properties i am interested in. He told me he wanted to go over everything the week before i came up. I thought he meant properties we will look at and i told him i want to go over them alittle over a week since the week before i will be getting ready to come up. I am leaving wed. He sent me the BAA a few days ago to sign and keeps telling me that i need to sign the documents before he takes me back out. The documents state that he is my exclusive agent for 1 year and that i would be paying a 3% commission. Is this standard? He has already put a bad taste in my mouth sending this to me to sign right before i am leaving. I feel it was done purposely so i wouldnt have time to review them and i would just sign them. If i was just wanting him to drive me around would i be the one doing all the work and sending him the properties?! I dont think so. I have asked on numerous occassions to send me properties and he only has sent me once weeks ago. Nothing now before i come up there.
Please advise.
My response to your other post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
One year is the maximum the State of NC allows for an agency agreement.
It should not be a problem, since you should NEVER sign ANY agency agreement that does not provide you with the right to cancel the agreement at any time prior to contract on a house.
In other words, the length of the agreement should only be a convenience to avoid completing the form again, not a trap that ties you down for a specified period of time.
No agent is good enough to tie you up for a year.

The commission is spelled out in detail in the Agency Agreement.
It commonly comes into play on a FSBO, more often than on MLS listings. If the agent cannot explain the agreement to your satisfaction, find an agent who can, or have an attorney review the agreement.
Is the agent using the standard NC Association of Realtors Buyers Agency Agreement?
Standard Form 201, which is noted at the bottom right of every page? It is 5 pages long.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:43 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
You have 2 issues. 1 - the year long agreement. That can be an issue if you decide this agent isn't working well with you. It should be written into anything you sign that you can cancel without penalty if you are unhappy w the service. BUT the agent will likely keep in the contract that you will have to pay him a commission if you buy a property within a certain amount of time of when he showed it to you while this contract is in place. Very fair, because there are people that will use agents then get their out of town friend/relative to write the contract when they find a place.

2 - the 3% commission could be another issue. In my area, there are quite a few 5% listings with 2.5% to the buyers agents. You will be on the hook for the other 1/2% if you buy one of these houses.

I typically do a Non-Exclusive agreement that guarantees me a commission if a buyer buys something I show him and a minimum of 2.5% because we see quite a few listings at .5-2% which isn't an amount I'm willing to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals