Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 08:11 AM

32 posts, read 111,020 times

Advertisements

We'll be moving at the end of the year, but my husband is currently interviewing for jobs, so we're not certain where we'll be living yet. We've been looking at listings in the likely areas, because we'll need to begin searching for a house as soon as he accepts an offer.

We looked at one house online last night, and I have a couple of questions. Is it okay to email the listing agent? We obviously won't have a realtor until we know where we're moving, but I don't want to get into trouble with procurement issues. So, basically, if the listing agent answers my questions...that doesn't count as procurement, does it?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 08:20 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,294 times
It's okay to email the listing agent and ask questions about the agent's listing. You won't be obligated to anything if that is all you are doing.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:16 AM

51 posts, read 194,375 times
Do you think that you will end up with a relo package as part of your move? If so, you may want to think twice about contacting a realtor. I know that one of the contingencies on our relo package was that we couldn't contact any realtor other than the ones referred by the relo agency...

Old 11-18-2007, 10:59 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
I'd get a gmail or hotmail or yahoo account & email the listing agent from there. Asking questions doesn't create an agency relationship.

Then again, why get specific info on one house until you are ready? Get the offer first, then get specific.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:41 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movin2CT View Post
Do you think that you will end up with a relo package as part of your move? If so, you may want to think twice about contacting a realtor. I know that one of the contingencies on our relo package was that we couldn't contact any realtor other than the ones referred by the relo agency...
I would think twice about taking anything with a relo package as sometimes those relo packages come to the agent with as much as a 35-45% referral fee off the top. In other words, the agent representing you normally gets WAY less then they normally would.

Now, I'm not saying that whatever Agent you end up with would be that unethical to not work for you to the best of their ability over a little money, but i've heard of it happening.

So keep that in mind when accepting a relo package.

Good luck!!!

~Joey

Old 11-18-2007, 05:51 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Tina - I am with 2BinDenver...use a yahoo or g mail account or such. Question freely. Mail to whoever you want. When you reach a conclusion on who you want to deal with send them your real email. Then send the old email to the great post office in the sky.

Ohh and take the relo package if one is offered. I am not sure I know why that came up but a good relo package is a great thing for the relocatee if not for the RE Agent. There is a lot more to it then just the Agent fee.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:49 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,290,255 times
Good thread, good questions, etc. Apparently there is more to it than many people think. I customarily e-mail listing agents, just to gather preliminary information -- nothing more than asking a basic question or two. Sometimes, I may use that agent, other times I may not (as I have might have one I work with in the respective area).

I never thought that asking a question created an "obligation" or "agency" relationship (if that is the right terminology). Regardless, thanks to all those who supplied answers, information, etc.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
Good thread, good questions, etc. Apparently there is more to it than many people think. I customarily e-mail listing agents, just to gather preliminary information -- nothing more than asking a basic question or two. Sometimes, I may use that agent, other times I may not (as I have might have one I work with in the respective area).

I never thought that asking a question created an "obligation" or "agency" relationship (if that is the right terminology). Regardless, thanks to all those who supplied answers, information, etc.
Actually I don't really think that an issue. I work a much more plebian one. It creates an entry to an email drip system. Talk to 20 savvy internet agents and you are on 15 drip systems. Might even be useful while you are in that phase....but I think the redundancy will drive you nuts. But you need a way to turn it off. and that is really hard if your primary email is out there.

Give primary email to family and very good friends. And watch which family members you honor. But never let any sales person get hold of the real thing.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:29 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,290,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Actually I don't really think that an issue. I work a much more plebian one. It creates an entry to an email drip system. Talk to 20 savvy internet agents and you are on 15 drip systems. Might even be useful while you are in that phase....but I think the redundancy will drive you nuts. But you need a way to turn it off. and that is really hard if your primary email is out there.

Give primary email to family and very good friends. And watch which family members you honor. But never let any sales person get hold of the real thing.
First, thanks for the advice. Second, I have no idea what you are talking about, LOL. I am technoligically handicapped, LOL. I get very little spam, junk mail, etc. -- so I guess I am very lucky. I have my own domain and don't apply to a lot of lists, subscriptions, etc., but I always think about people I e-mail and what they are doing with my e-mail address.

Perhaps I am lucky, and perhaps the money I spend on technology is money well spent, LOL. Thanks again.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
First, thanks for the advice. Second, I have no idea what you are talking about, LOL. I am technoligically handicapped, LOL. I get very little spam, junk mail, etc. -- so I guess I am very lucky. I have my own domain and don't apply to a lot of lists, subscriptions, etc., but I always think about people I e-mail and what they are doing with my e-mail address.

Perhaps I am lucky, and perhaps the money I spend on technology is money well spent, LOL. Thanks again.
If you own the domain you can create email addresses. When you want to do something new create a new one. Going to look at houses? Create househunter@yourdomain.com. When you get done hunting direct the mail from househunter to the garbagepit. If you are relatively free of spam you want to keep it that way. My public addresses get a few thousand emails a day almost all of which are junk. You don't want to go there.

My real email address get only a few.. and that is because my ISP screwed up.

So be careful. It is not a big deal...just a monumental nuisance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals