Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 05:20 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,046,764 times

Advertisements

When I interviewed a CB brokerage recently, the manager said, "you will tell prospective clients you will advertise in x, y, z newspapers, and a bunch of RE websites like zillow, trulia."

Doesn't every agent do that and then wait for buyer's agents and other fish to bite?

Do the best agents do anything differently in regards to marketing?

Got me wondering when I saw a $2.3 million newer corner lot house sitting on the market for 150 days so far, listed by a top producer. The current owner bought it for $1.77 mil 3 years ago.
Other $2 mil homes in the area have sold faster, if that means anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 08:06 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
Yes, real estate is a me too business.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:36 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
When I interviewed a CB brokerage recently, the manager said, "you will tell prospective clients you will advertise in x, y, z newspapers, and a bunch of RE websites like zillow, trulia."

Doesn't every agent do that and then wait for buyer's agents and other fish to bite?
Not every agent advertises their listings in newspapers. Having your listing on zillow and trulia or the MLS doesn't really constitute "advertising". If you promote your listings on national sites via marketing programs (Zillow "Premiere Agent", Trulia "Pro"), then that would be more akin to advertising. Marketing also includes the quality/type of photography, staging, the marketing language used in the property description, property flyers, the way you conduct and promote open houses, mailers/postcards, email blasts, the way you price the home, etc. Some agents are better at this than others, some hire professionals to make up for their deficiencies (photographers, graphic designers, etc).

Quote:
Do the best agents do anything differently in regards to marketing?

Got me wondering when I saw a $2.3 million newer corner lot house sitting on the market for 150 days so far, listed by a top producer. The current owner bought it for $1.77 mil 3 years ago.
Other $2 mil homes in the area have sold faster, if that means anything.
Multi-million dollar homes can take a while to sell. Six months in not an unusual time frame for that kind of a sale. There could be a lot of reasons why the other homes sold faster.

One of the best agents out of my office has a photographer and design house he uses for every listing. Every listing has incredible photos and high quality, glossy flyers. By contrast, I've seen people put two sentence descriptions of properties with unbelievably horrible property photos. I imagine it's easier selling your services to a potential client if you show them you put real effort into what you do.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:44 AM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Every agent has their own marketing technique. Personally, for example, I don't use print media unless the seller pays me for it.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:03 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,871 times
The only print marketing I ever see is from an agent trying to drum up business...they send a 6x8 full color gloss mailer that has 8 or listings with SOLD over all of the pictures and then usually include one that is still for sale.

The agent is not really advertising the home in this situation - they are advertising themselves...but they manage to get dual credit in doing it...I would not pay extra for such advertising though.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:10 PM

I don't lump the Just Listed/Just Sold direct mailers in with the rest of print. It actually is effective long term as a strategy.
Not so much for marketing that home but for marketing the agent.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:08 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,046,764 times
I know agents have different skills and personal qualities that set them apart, and they are often hired because of these qualities. Or they are hired because their name is just out there.

That is why I was only focusing on the marketing of the HOME itself. I have seen agents who seemingly use abundant advertising as their main marketing tool, and as a way to get new clients. It seems to be a passive approach.

Look at this banner below from one agent's website.

This agent is saying, "hey, list with me, I will put your house on all these websites." Frankly, a lot of those websites don't get hits worth a damn.
But pretty much all agents advertise on these same websites.

This particular agent is a productive agent based on her track record. But the marketing doesn't stand out at all, and seems similar to marketing done by any other agent- list on a bunch of websites, do some open houses, email blast, send out some flyers.....

the marketing arsenal you use is pretty much the same as everyone else's, wouldn't you say?

Attached Thumbnails
real estate marketing is all the same?-1379777722.jpg  

Old 10-17-2013, 04:37 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I don't lump the Just Listed/Just Sold direct mailers in with the rest of print. It actually is effective long term as a strategy.
Not so much for marketing that home but for marketing the agent.
Quite true. In our last home, I had a folder of these things that I had saved for several years. It was the first thing I looked at when we started interviewing listing agents to sell our home. (but not the only resource I utilized to locate the best agent for our needs.)

Old 10-17-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Quite true. In our last home, I had a folder of these things that I had saved for several years. It was the first thing I looked at when we started interviewing listing agents to sell our home. (but not the only resource I utilized to locate the best agent for our needs.)
Thanks for the confirmation. Studies show those are the one and only type mailers that people will keep. Weird, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals