Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 09:39 AM

422 posts, read 1,365,775 times

Advertisements

I constantly think about it for fear of not being able to pay my bills in this crazy market.

Should I just ride it out? Should I find another career?

What are you all doing???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 01:26 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
I supplement my income by playing poker.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:48 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
No, I'm good these days. I had some doubts when I was new.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:33 PM

47 posts, read 202,631 times
I'm in it for the long haul!! I keep my life simple, budget my advertising, and spend alot of time networking and calling clients.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:28 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhomesalesrep View Post
I constantly think about it for fear of not being able to pay my bills in this crazy market.

Should I just ride it out? Should I find another career?

What are you all doing???
I remember an instructor at a business planning class remarking that not only did agents need a business plan, but they also needed an exit plan. Probably that's truer now than it's ever been. Obviously this slow down is not easily remedied and is not going to make a quick turn around by next spring. And, of course, new home sales are suffering the most.

If you love real estate and have the funds to ride it out for the next year or two (hopefully we'll be through the worst by next fall), then you'll probably do fine. If, like your C-D name indicates, you're exclusively in new homes sales, perhaps you may want to branch out into resale homes or some other avenue (such as being part of a team or working as a licensed assitant).

I'm wondering how loan officers and escrow officers are doing now, too. Seems like there's not nearly as many faces out there now as there used to be.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:51 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,758 times
What am I doing? Working. And posting on this board, lol. I have no plans to change careers. With agents leaving the business this is a great time to be establishing a presence.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:56 AM

166 posts, read 855,698 times
I'm working, actually looking forward to a slow down over the holidays. I love my job - will be in the business until I retire at age 90. In fact, I'm thinking about buying some rental properties. Credit scores are tightening up, PMI rates are on the rise, it's becoming increasingly difficult for some buyers to qualify for loans. My solution? Put those future buyers in my yet-to-be-purchased rental properties until they CAN buy their own home!

Old 11-22-2007, 07:06 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
I am in my 40th year in real estate.

This is the 4th cycle (up and down) I have been through and it mirrors one of some 20 years ago.

There are buyers buying. There are sellers selling.

All it takes for an agent to survive and thrive is a) some hard work and b) be EXTREMELY knowledgeable about your business

Old 11-22-2007, 03:07 PM

231 posts, read 1,142,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalLover View Post
I'm working, actually looking forward to a slow down over the holidays. I love my job - will be in the business until I retire at age 90. In fact, I'm thinking about buying some rental properties. Credit scores are tightening up, PMI rates are on the rise, it's becoming increasingly difficult for some buyers to qualify for loans. My solution? Put those future buyers in my yet-to-be-purchased rental properties until they CAN buy their own home!
If things slow to a standstill, and RE becomes a dead field, you may be spending many years in Springfield without a paycheck before you reach 90. Let's hope the social security benefits are enough to keep meat on the table till the 90th birthday.....BTW, say hi to Rod for me!

Old 11-24-2007, 12:01 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
I heard an instructor once say look to your left, now look to your right. 2 of you won't be here next year. If it isn't your neighbor, then it's probably you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals