Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 05:48 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,364,436 times

Advertisements

I asked this question in another thread but it got buried. In today's market where the buyer is king, do Realtors still qualify buyers? I ask this because my Realtor gets giddy as a school girl whenever someone comes through our OH and asks questions. I'm tired of putting myself on an emotional roller coaster, trying to decipher feedback, when all I really want to know is... Is the buyer serious, has he sold his own house, can he afford my house, and has he been prequalified. Are sellers still allowed to ask these questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 07:10 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,155,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
I asked this question in another thread but it got buried. In today's market where the buyer is king, do Realtors still qualify buyers? I ask this because my Realtor gets giddy as a school girl whenever someone comes through our OH and asks questions. I'm tired of putting myself on an emotional roller coaster, trying to decipher feedback, when all I really want to know is... Is the buyer serious, has he sold his own house, can he afford my house, and has he been prequalified. Are sellers still allowed to ask these questions?
Verobeach, there is not a definitive answer to your questions. The answers will vary based on the realtor and where in the buying process the buyers are. My responses are based on how I do business. One of the first things I tell a buyer client is that they need to get pre-approved for a loan(this is a step beyond pre-qualification). They don't need to be looking at houses that they can't afford. Even with a pre-approval, it may be contingent upon the buyer selling their current home. When my buyer clients are ready to make an offer they will either have a pre-approval letter or a loan committment letter from a lender. The seriousness of the buyer is related to where they are in the process and their motivation for needing to move. Do they have to buy in the next sixty to ninety days(i.e., job transfer)? Have they sold their home or do they have a contract on it? Are they just planning to move within the next year and just want to get a feel for the area and houses on their first visit?
The questions you pose are all legitimate questions to ask of a buyer.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:08 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,934,712 times
Quote:
Yes. Sellers are allowed. Sellers agents are allowed, and encouraged to do so. Buyers agents are allowed and encouraged to do so. It's a poor agent who wastes his time schlepping buyers around from homne to home without having a fairly good ide of what they can afford and under what circumstances.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:14 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
Although I don't sell much any more, I would NEVER show a house without prequalifying the buyer......maybe that is why I don't sell much........

Old 11-22-2007, 10:05 AM

353 posts, read 1,728,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Yes. Sellers are allowed. Sellers agents are allowed, and encouraged to do so. Buyers agents are allowed and encouraged to do so. It's a poor agent who wastes his time schlepping buyers around from homne to home without having a fairly good ide of what they can afford and under what circumstances.

I agree. It saves a lot of time and aggravation to have a buyer pre-qualified.

Besides, in my neck of the woods, when we submit an offer to purchase, the listing Realtor expects to see a pre-qualification letter attached.

Keep in mind however, that you will be having all types of people through an open house. By "types" I mean people who are just looking to look, people who are way above or way below the price range. Generally a serious buyer will all ready be working with an agent and only looking at homes they can realistically afford.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:19 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Note however that I am not about to discuss the details of my buyers capability. Not even a little before an offer and then only bare bones after an offer. My buyer always has a qual letter that qualifies him for the exact amount he offers. If he needs contingencies you will see them in the offer....not before.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:19 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,594,667 times
Yep, you must be pre-approved. No prequal, stipulations yet to be met, blah, blah , blah.......pre-approved, and I'd like to speak to the lender, please. We're going to work together anyway, may as well meet now.

In NC we have an obligation bound by contract to not show homes to clients who cannot afford them.

On a personal level I want my client to be the kid in the candy store. Here's your numbers from the bank, go home do an HONEST budget and call me back and let me know if it makes sense. If you have to tighten your belt to buy this much more forget it.....I want you to enjoy your new home, and psychologically people don't stop doing what they enjoy doing so who are you kidding. How about we use this number and I'll try to find you the Best home we possibly can for the best deal.

After we have a good pre-approval, and a comfortable price range, I'll show you what ever you wanna see.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:26 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Yep, you must be pre-approved. No prequal, stipulations yet to be met, blah, blah , blah.......pre-approved, and I'd like to speak to the lender, please. We're going to work together anyway, may as well meet now.

In NC we have an obligation bound by contract to not show homes to clients who cannot afford them.

On a personal level I want my client to be the kid in the candy store. Here's your numbers from the bank, go home do an HONEST budget and call me back and let me know if it makes sense. If you have to tighten your belt to buy this much more forget it.....I want you to enjoy your new home, and psychologically people don't stop doing what they enjoy doing so who are you kidding. How about we use this number and I'll try to find you the Best home we possibly can for the best deal.

After we have a good pre-approval, and a comfortable price range, I'll show you what ever you wanna see.
Welll OK except there simply is no such thing as preapproval. Every approval of any sort I have ever seen has a requriement for final underwriter approval. That is of course a complete and total out usable by the bank for any reason under any circumstances.

The different between the pre-qual I can get for my dog and the ultimate approval level you get for the best financially fit client is zilch.

My wife and I go by our gut. The only one we have missed on in years was a seller...who had an in process bankruptcy they forgot to tell us about.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:15 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,942,393 times
I believe that the answers to these questions will vary based upon the stage of negotiations you are in. Let me provide my perspective in that way.

Quote:
Is the buyer serious,
Prior to working with some buyers, the agent working for them should have determined that the people have the desire and ability to act, otherwise they'd be wasting their time. However, they can only do so much to determine a buyer's seriousness. The buyer's desires can change over time, or they can come to conclusions that a particular neighborhood/town/or even state doesn't meet their needs once they've seen it.

An astute buyer is also not going to open his financial records to prove their assets to an agent so the agents have to take some things just at their word. Some issues are simply confidential and do not need to be disclosed at that time.

In any case, determining the seriousness of the buyer is something between the agent and their buyer. It is not for disclosure to you, the seller, especially at the pre-offer stage.

For example, a buyer might want you to think that they were just "luke-warm" about your house and area, that's it's a compromise if they eventually make an offer, and that they'll only buy your house if the price is right, but that they'd really like to be somewhere else. Making you think that they're not overly excited and only margionally serious will help them in their negotitions when they do make an offer.

If you thought they were overly excited and so serious that they'd sell their first born to buy your house, you'd probably not drop your price as much when an offer was made. That's why they wouldn't want you knowing how serious they were.

Once an offer is made, it's obvious that the buyer is serious to some extent, at least to the extent that his offer allows. If they were not serious, an offer would not be made because they would be committed to buying the house if you signed the offer without any counters.

Beyond that, at the offer stage, the seriousness remains in question. That's the way I want it to be because it would help me, the buyer, get a better deal. I would hope that you, as the seller, might be motivated to just give in to my terms or offer something less than you would have otherwise offered. I would want you concerned with chasing a qualified buyer away who I would hope you perceived as only marginally serious but qualified.

Quote:
has he sold his own house
Such a thing may not be an issue and it's certainly not something for disclosure to a seller before an offer is made. Many people carry multiple properties or can buy your house for cash.

The qualifictions of the buyers are something to be discussed between the buyers an their agent. For the same reasons listed above, there are reasons why a buyer wouldn't want such things disclosed to you before an offer is made.

Once an offer is made, the terms of the offer will show whether there is another property involved. If there's no sale contigency, then it's a non-issue for the seller of the new property. The status of other properties would be none of the seller's business as long as the buyers are quaified to make another purchase.

If there is a sale contingency, then the seller knows the buyers have to sell another house. They have a right to make that offer, but the seller also has a right to reject it or demand certain things, like 72 hour right of refusal and/or an evaluation of the listed price and market of the buyer's other house. It will help you determne if the buyer has their house priced to sell or priced to sit. The answers will help he seller decide to accept, counter, or reject the offer.

Quote:
can he afford my house,
Again, at he preoffer stage, such qualifications are between the buyers and their agent. The agent woul be wasting their time if they were taking buyers to houses they can't afford. They'd be tour guides who were working for free, and that's not their job.

As for disclosing to a seller what a buyer can afford, at the pre-offer stage, I wouldn't want that to happen. It's none of the seller's business at that point. It only becomes the seller's business if the buyer attempts to enter into a business relationship.

So, once an offer is made, that is when a seller needs to know if the buyer can follow through with their offer, not that they have the ability to follow-through on the full price of your house. That can be done with a pre-approval from the bank or by proving that they have the cash availale to complete the offer.

It may not be an entire disclosure of their capabilities, for example the pre-approval may actually be for a greater amount, but all that a buyer needs to show you is an amount on the letter that, together with their down payement, adds up to the offer. It's not a lie because their approval is for a cetrtain amount or less. They're just showing that they are able to perform on their offer, but not showing their entire hand. Anything else about their financial situation, beyond being able to perform on their offer, is simply none of a seller's business.

For example, if a seller saw that a buyer was preaproved for a much higher amount, they would be more likely to counter at much higher price. If the seller thought the buyers were already maxed-out, there's the chance the seller might accept the offer or only counter a little higher so they don't blow the deal by asking for something that the buyer can't assemble.

Quote:
and has he been prequalified.
Again, not everyone needs to be pre-qualified. Even if they do, at the pre-offer stage I wouldn't want a seller knowing anything about my financial situation. There's no guarantee that I will make an offer on their house, so they have no need to know.

Once the offer is made, proving an ability to perform on the offer makes the offer stronger. It's smart for the buyer to make an offer from a position of strength. If they don't have proof of their ability to perform, the seller can reject the offer or demand that they provide proof. Again, all a buyer should do is prove that they have the ability to complete their offer, not what the seller thinks they should pay.

Quote:
Are sellers still allowed to ask these questions?
Sure they do, but the buyers don't have an obligation to answer. I think any smart buyer would provide you some answers based upon their stage of negotiations. For me, it would be under the conditions wrtten above.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:58 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,974,961 times
Quote:
I make my buyers get a pre-qual before working with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals