Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 12:08 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

I enjoy taking pictures of both historic homes and newer neighborhoods in my area to post on public relocation blogs to help people who are interested in relocating learn more about my home town. It is just a hobby of mine that I enjoy, but I have always wondered if there would ever be a way to make a little extra cash doing something like this part time. I am not a RE agent or a professional photographer. Just a guy who enjoys taking pictures. Today I came across this ad for a part time "as needed" position as a freelance photographer for a person claiming to be an out of town real estate appraiser. I have included the ad below.

I am just curious if you RE professionals on this forum have heard of such freelance photography jobs before and if your gut feeling is that this is a legit ad. I have never heard of a situation before where and "out of town appraiser" would need to hire somebody to take pictures of houses. If they are an appraiser, wouldn't they just take the pics when they visit the property to appraise it? Why would they need to pay somebody else to do it?

I am very cautious of things I read online, but this seems like exactly what I was looking for so I am intrigued.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here is the ad I came across:

Take digital photos of Real Estate Properties and Earn $35.00 each time!

Out of town real estate appraiser needs reliable/dependable person to take interior and exterior photos of properties in Raleigh area.

Requirements: You must have your own digital camera with at least 2.1 megapixels

For each property, you will take 4 exterior photos
1-front view of the property
2 & 3 - photos of property to the left and right of the subject property
4-street view - photo of street where the property is located.

An appointment will be made to view the interior of the property.

You will take the following photos:
A photo of each room in the house. In the kitchen take multiple photos so that we could have a view of the kitchen cabinets – appliances – and flooring, in the bathrooms photos will be required of all fixtures, bathtub or shower, additionally if there is any damage to the property photos should be taken of this.

All photos should be taken in landscape format – not vertical.
You will be paid $35.00 per property.

After taking the photos you will email them to us and payment will be sent immediately by Paypal or check (your choice).

This will be in an 'as needed basis' and is not an offer of full time or part time employment.

If you are interested you must submit an email with the following information:
1. Contact Information, including email address and phone number.
2. Type of camera.
3. How much notice do you need to take photos of properties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 12:26 PM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
I think it's horrible to think that a property is being appraised by someone who never leaves the office.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:53 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,545,492 times
It can be legit, depending on the type of appraisal. However, this sounds more like an ad from a company named Zaio that sells "zones" for $9,000 a pop.

Tread carefully.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:23 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Actually I am known for being both cynical and skeptical...but it comes through to me as legit.

If they ask for money up front run lke hell. Otherwise give it a try.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:24 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
It sounds like Zaio.........

Old 11-22-2007, 08:32 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I enjoy taking pictures of both historic homes and newer neighborhoods in my area to post on public relocation blogs to help people who are interested in relocating learn more about my home town. It is just a hobby of mine that I enjoy, but I have always wondered if there would ever be a way to make a little extra cash doing something like this part time. I am not a RE agent or a professional photographer. Just a guy who enjoys taking pictures. Today I came across this ad for a part time "as needed" position as a freelance photographer for a person claiming to be an out of town real estate appraiser. I have included the ad below.

I am just curious if you RE professionals on this forum have heard of such freelance photography jobs before and if your gut feeling is that this is a legit ad. I have never heard of a situation before where and "out of town appraiser" would need to hire somebody to take pictures of houses. If they are an appraiser, wouldn't they just take the pics when they visit the property to appraise it? Why would they need to pay somebody else to do it?

I am very cautious of things I read online, but this seems like exactly what I was looking for so I am intrigued.

Here is the ad I came across:

Take digital photos of Real Estate Properties and Earn $35.00 each time!

Out of town real estate appraiser needs reliable/dependable person to take interior and exterior photos of properties in Raleigh area.

Requirements: You must have your own digital camera with at least 2.1 megapixels

For each property, you will take 4 exterior photos
1-front view of the property
2 & 3 - photos of property to the left and right of the subject property
4-street view - photo of street where the property is located.

An appointment will be made to view the interior of the property.

You will take the following photos:
A photo of each room in the house. In the kitchen take multiple photos so that we could have a view of the kitchen cabinets – appliances – and flooring, in the bathrooms photos will be required of all fixtures, bathtub or shower, additionally if there is any damage to the property photos should be taken of this.

All photos should be taken in landscape format – not vertical.
You will be paid $35.00 per property.

After taking the photos you will email them to us and payment will be sent immediately by Paypal or check (your choice).

This will be in an 'as needed basis' and is not an offer of full time or part time employment.

If you are interested you must submit an email with the following information:
1. Contact Information, including email address and phone number.
2. Type of camera.
3. How much notice do you need to take photos of properties?
NRG,
Looks like minimum $100 worth of work to me.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:42 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,912,054 times
Zaio wouldn't have interior photos though - and why would the owners let someone in if they weren't expecting an appraiser? It sounds like a lazy appraiser, like 2bindenver said above. In this market, I would think appraisers would want as much work as they can get!

Old 11-23-2007, 08:21 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

[/i]
I agree that it probably sounds legit, as long as they don't ask you to put up any money yourself. It might be a company similar to this Axiom Realty Capital that is a professional real estate buying company (facilitates property flipping), where the buyers are out of state or international.

Although $35 per property seems pretty low, unless you can hit 4 - 5 properties in a particular area at once.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:04 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Sounds somewhat legit although I've never heard of such a thing. I wouldn't run up too large a tab w/o being paid though as some BPO companies don't pay.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:11 PM

73 posts, read 458,295 times
How can they hire people who are not bonded, licensed or insured to go inside people's homes? This is a really scary way to do business. REALLY scary,.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals