Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2013, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,503 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm a 20 yr old male living in Columbus, OH and I'm looking to relocate to San Diego, CA next year and eventually start a career in real estate. Why SD in particular? Well two things, first my gf lives there and I’ve wanted to live there since junior yr of HS. And after five visits I've totally fallen in love with the city and it feels like home now. Especially since my gf's family has accepted me with such open arms during the last year. Currently, my timeline is to be in SD by Aug-Sept 14. But before I can pack my bags and begin a life of my own I have to refine my plan.

Just because I have plan I don't expect it to go accordingly. I don't believe that's the purpose of any plan that a person makes for him or her self in life. Rather it’s supposed to give you a sense of direction.

Firstly, I live with my mom and our house is being foreclosed. To make the best of the situation and get a head start on building my wealth I’m currently looking to buy my first investment property/home (single family). My top three reasons for buying a house are passive income, cheaper than renting (here in OH), residency. My mom would still be living in the property after I leave and she would leave the states to go live over seas near the end of the year. I’m currently in contract for a house but after my inspection the property isn’t too good of an investment. And I’m waiting on a reply for my counter offer.

Secondly, I’m debating on whether to start school in January or a second job (crossing fingers for full time job I can relocate with). I’m starting to lean towards the latter because a majority of my savings will go to a Down Payment. If I went back to school I’d take a couple of classes to go towards getting a Bachelors in Multimedia Design. I already have an Associates degree in Web Graphic Design that I got while in HS. Now, if I don’t take the CC route for my current major I do plan to take online Real Estate courses for CA around March.

Now with that brief background information about me I need help on figuring out what do with my future plans.
• Is it a good idea to be getting an investment property when my mom is going to be living there after I leave? Maybe she can act as a landlord
• Should I wait a year after living in SD to be a Realtor? Or should I jump right in after moving?
Or
Start out as a Real Estate Assistant (this position is salaried correct?)
OR
Work some job in SD to afford my expenses and keep saving. Then jump into my career?
• What is the average start up costs to become a Realtor in San Diego or CA in general? And what broker should I begin with?
• And is it hard to start in Luxury Real Estate or enter that market? Especially with Sothebys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 02:19 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
Read the Millionaire Real Estate Agent by Gary Keller.

Dreams and goals are important. But getting another degree in Design and wanting to get into business are not in line.

Take some business and marketing classes. Shadow a local agent to get a feel of a day in the life...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals