Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 07:23 AM

799 posts, read 1,548,859 times

Advertisements

Honey, you bought a house from her and are telling everyone she is fantastic. You just gave her a gift. If you sell that house, you will call her. Another gift.

Traditionally realtors give their clients a small housewarming gift when they close or move in. Not the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 07:26 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,930,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Honey, you bought a house from her and are telling everyone she is fantastic. You just gave her a gift. If you sell that house, you will call her. Another gift.

Traditionally realtors give their clients a small housewarming gift when they close or move in. Not the other way around.
Some may say I'm being pedantic, but I have to correct this.
She did not buy a house from this real estate agent. She utilized the services of the agent to help her buy a house from someone else.

Not picking on you, but I see people say that very often, and it always irks me.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Some may say I'm being pedantic, but I have to correct this.
She did not buy a house from this real estate agent. She utilized the services of the agent to help her buy a house from someone else.

Not picking on you, but I see people say that very often, and it always irks me.
Point taken, but still. The OP's purchase has rewarded her financially. The OP will recommend her to others or use her services again. In my area, the agents usually get the buyer a small gift, not the other way around.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:12 AM

43,253 posts, read 77,010,637 times
Quote:
Point taken, but still. The OP's purchase has rewarded her financially. The OP will recommend her to others or use her services again. In my area, the agents usually get the buyer a small gift, not the other way around.
Q: How is the agent's financial compensation even remotely relevant to a poster who is a giving person, and who feels in her heart that she would enjoy offering something to the agent?

A: It isn't.

She asked what the agent might appreciate as a token of acknowledgement and gratitude, not if she should give, and has been pestered for having a generous heart.
Very sad.
And all too common.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:40 AM

Puhlease.

I am damn good at my job. My reward is that people recommend my services to others and I get more work. My company benefits. I get raises.

I don't expect the people who I work for to get me a gift card or a house plant as a token of appreciation. I expect that they recommend me and I get compensated. That is exactly what the agent in this situation should expect.

In fact, we give our CUSTOMERS tokens of appreciation not the other way around. Our "gift" is that they used our services, paid us and recommended us. We make money off of that.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
While I happen to agree that there should be no expectation of a gift from the client, I don't have a problem with someone giving a gift because they WANT to. In this case, the OP is very appreciative of, and appears to like, her agent, and so wants to, out of the goodness of her heart, get that agent a gift. You seem to have a problem with that, and are trying to convince the OP to NOT give this agent a gift, though she has told you very clearly why she wants to do so. Why?
Sounds like someone is an agent angling for a gift on top of his commission. Let's remember who is working for who in this transaction.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Puhlease.

I am damn good at my job. My reward is that people recommend my services to others and I get more work. My company benefits. I get raises.

I don't expect the people who I work for to get me a gift card or a house plant as a token of appreciation. I expect that they recommend me and I get compensated. That is exactly what the agent in this situation should expect.

In fact, we give our CUSTOMERS tokens of appreciation not the other way around. Our "gift" is that they used our services, paid us and recommended us. We make money off of that.
And, you are making the thread about YOU, YOUR practices, YOUR earnings.

Indirectly disparaging the OP for not honoring YOUR perspective? "PUH-lease," indeed.

Sad, sad.
And all too common.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
While I happen to agree that there should be no expectation of a gift from the client, I don't have a problem with someone giving a gift because they WANT to. In this case, the OP is very appreciative of, and appears to like, her agent, and so wants to, out of the goodness of her heart, get that agent a gift. You seem to have a problem with that, and are trying to convince the OP to NOT give this agent a gift, though she has told you very clearly why she wants to do so. Why?
Quote:
Sounds like someone is an agent angling for a gift on top of his commission. Let's remember who is working for who in this transaction.
Let me repeat the opening sentence in the post, in case it went right past you:

While I happen to agree that there should be no expectation of a gift from the client, I don't have a problem with someone giving a gift because they WANT to.

See, he agrees that "there is no expectation." We all agree.
We don't agree with the meanness of human spirit that leads people to belittle the OP who does want to make a gift, a meanness which is all too common.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:53 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,637,114 times
Wind chimes to drown out puffery. Just kidding about the puffery, wind chimes make a nice thank you gift.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Let me repeat the opening sentence in the post, in case it went right past you:

While I happen to agree that there should be no expectation of a gift from the client, I don't have a problem with someone giving a gift because they WANT to.

See, he agrees that "there is no expectation." We all agree.
We don't agree with the meanness of human spirit that leads people to belittle the OP who does want to make a gift, a meanness which is all too common.
Its inappropriate to give a gift to someone whom you have hired/contracted to do work for you. You are confusing the transactional relationship.

I buy a car from Car Max. I have a great salesperson. They get a commission or a bonus or a raise or whatever Car Max uses to compensate them for the sale. They do not get a bonus gift from me. The sale is the gift.

When we start to feel as though we "owe" the people who we hired to perform a serve anything more than a "thanks!" and the agreed upon pay, we enter a world where the burden is on the customer to constantly pony up for more and more cost. A $15 gift card isn't that much, I agree. But the idea that we have to over thank people who are already compensated is what I take issue with. This is not a personal relationship. It is a business one. It has nothing to do with the "human spirit."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals