Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 01:24 PM

174 posts, read 396,542 times

Advertisements

Curious to see your thoughts on real estate designations. I.E. (GRI, ABR, EPRO, CNE, etc.) Are they worth while to go after getting when the general public doesn't understand what they are or would is be better to just become an Associate Broker when possible and fore go getting any other designations?

I have thought about just going and getting my broker's license as the general public recognizes this and become an associate broker, but will I be missing out on valuable learning by not getting any other designations? After all, I would think by holding an "Associate Broker" title would mean your held to a higher standard in what you will be able to provide to your clients?

Just trying to get some different opinions.

My general thought is that if you can say your an Associate Broker no one will question how long you have been in the business, but even if you have been in R.E. for many years and say I am a REALTOR, with designation A, B, and C people may still be curious of how long that may be..?

As I REALTOR, I understand designations and what they mean to have and hold and have respect for other agents with them, but my opinion is the general public only may understand Real Estate Agent and Broker? Is this correct?

-Trent

P.S. This may not apply to all states as I believe some states only have "Brokers", but I am in AZ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 03:28 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
I doubt that the public knows the difference between a Realtor selling agent and an associate broker. Get the training you want and need rather than worrying about which designation will hold you in higher esteem. Having good working knowledge will be what impresses people.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:32 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
I have the CNE.
I was going to finally do GRI this year, and NC is rewriting the curriculum, and there will be no classes until October or November.

Most of the courses I see advertised look nearly meaningless.
And I see agents with long lists of initials after their names making the same ethical and skills and legal blunders as newbies with no initials after their names, and groaning about taking CE at the last minute, etc.
All too often, you hear an agent say, "Well, I got my XYZ." It seems reasonable to ask, "So, did you learn anything?"

Old 02-17-2014, 04:35 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I have the CNE.
I was going to finally do GRI this year, and NC is rewriting the curriculum, and there will be no classes until October or November.

Most of the courses I see advertised look nearly meaningless.
And I see agents with long lists of initials after their names making the same ethical and skills and legal blunders as newbies with no initials after their names, and groaning about taking CE at the last minute, etc.
All too often, you hear an agent say, "Well, I got my XYZ." It seems reasonable to ask, "So, did you learn anything?"
What did you think of the CNE?

Old 02-17-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
What did you think of the CNE?
I like that I don't have to pay every year to claim my alphabet soup!

It was pretty new, and the guy was from AZ, where they do things quite differently (We can't draft documents like they do.), but I pulled a nugget or two out of it.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:05 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
I like that I don't have to pay every year to claim my alphabet soup!

It was pretty new, and the guy was from AZ, where they do things quite differently (We can't draft documents like they do.), but I pulled a nugget or two out of it.
We are like that too. We can draft addenda. I have a whole clause library that has been reviewed by my company attorney for my agents. I try and keep the roguishness to a minimum.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
We are like that too. We can draft addenda. I have a whole clause library that has been reviewed by my company attorney for my agents. I try and keep the roguishness to a minimum.
In the time we were in class, we had to correct him multiple times when he told us to "Just write a short addendum...." "We can't do that." I think he had not spent enough time outside AZ.
But, he had a reasonably well thought-out approach to breaking down the negotiation process and teaching recognizing where you were.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:47 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Quote:
In the time we were in class, we had to correct him multiple times when he told us to "Just write a short addendum...." "We can't do that." I think he had not spent enough time outside AZ.
But, he had a reasonably well thought-out approach to breaking down the negotiation process and teaching recognizing where you were.
We had issues with one of the CNE instructors, too; however, Oliver Frascona was wonderful. I took the class twice as I took it with Oliver in 2012 along with 7 other members of our office. Then I took it again (for quite a reduced price) when I took 12 more members of our office to the course.

Now, as for the material, outstanding!!! Well worth every dollar of the course, even twice.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:52 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentBeaver View Post
Curious to see your thoughts on real estate designations. I.E. (GRI, ABR, EPRO, CNE, etc.) Are they worth while to go after getting when the general public doesn't understand what they are or would is be better to just become an Associate Broker when possible and fore go getting any other designations?

I have thought about just going and getting my broker's license as the general public recognizes this and become an associate broker, but will I be missing out on valuable learning by not getting any other designations? After all, I would think by holding an "Associate Broker" title would mean your held to a higher standard in what you will be able to provide to your clients?

Just trying to get some different opinions.

My general thought is that if you can say your an Associate Broker no one will question how long you have been in the business, but even if you have been in R.E. for many years and say I am a REALTOR, with designation A, B, and C people may still be curious of how long that may be..?

As I REALTOR, I understand designations and what they mean to have and hold and have respect for other agents with them, but my opinion is the general public only may understand Real Estate Agent and Broker? Is this correct?

-Trent

P.S. This may not apply to all states as I believe some states only have "Brokers", but I am in AZ..

I can't and won't attempt to answer all your concerns. I will only point to the evidence that CRS designees are involved in nearly 25% of all American transactions. Was it because they were good, or was it because the course work made them better? I will not refer to anyone who is not a CRS.

I have: CRS, CRB, CDPE, CIAS, e-pro, SFR, CNE, and I am a principal broker in KY and IN. No doubt the single most valuable course was CRS 201 Listing

Last edited by tomocox; 02-17-2014 at 07:08 PM..

Old 02-18-2014, 08:38 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
I think most of them are pretty useless. Get your Brokers license first. I do pretty well and don't maintain any designations other than Realtor/Broker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals