Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 04:10 PM

22 posts, read 27,234 times

Advertisements

An immediate family member recently passed away. She owned several units at a condominum and around Illinois. We spoke a few times briefly before her demise recently but had been estranged due to a matter related to my late father's-estate 'falsifying of record's and possible theft.' After her death I was 'dis-couraged' by other family members to attend a family meeting.

In my younger years I was told a the condo board she sat on was comprised of family members that the other building owners didnt know about and some corporation had been been started and i was a (silent and completely ignorant member) of 1 or both. Long story short I did an internet search and found out that they have been using my name, misspellings of my name and my late fathers name to buy property for several years!!!
How can I get proof of the transactions and other info? And more importantly 'they have high up police connections' and i was given given an ominious comment once about people being paid to follow others.
What can i do?

This is question is open to all with a good answer but i hope to hear from someone 'who really knows how Chicago does things.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 04:35 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ictheshy2013 View Post
Long story short I did an internet search and found out that they have been using my name, misspellings of my name and my late fathers name to buy property for several years!!!
How can I get proof of the transactions and other info?
Look up your name at the registry of deeds and their names too to see what other docs you appear on. Looks like you own property! Your rich. They cant sell it without your signature no matter what connections you think they may have.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:02 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Unless it is held in a trust with a trustee or a corporation. Then they can sell it without the OP's signature as someone will have authority to sign. She would have had to sign an original document at some point though.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:48 PM

113 posts, read 136,635 times
Well if they bought property under her name somebody had to sign..right? Apparently it wasn't her. Therefore when they sell it, the same person could sign.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:31 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Without getting into detail about previous client experiences, attorney time. If identity/fraud is going on, you also might get stuck with a huge tax bill you'll have to clean up. A title company may be able to do a quick search on your name, but if is in a trust other than your name, it will be difficult. Have you looked at your credit report to see if you have any loans under your name?

Old 02-19-2014, 02:19 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Have the properties been purchased in your name, as an individual, or have the purchases been made through a corporation which somehow lists you as being involved? Have you looked at corporate documents (which can likely be viewed online through state records)?

What type of "internet search" have you been doing which discovered this? Have you been looking at tax records? How have you managed to find misspellings? What type of properties are these? And are you talking about a couple of transactions or many?

More factual information--without the drama of "police connections"--would be helpful.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:53 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Have you looked at your credit report to see if you have any loans under your name?
Good point. You should run your credit report at all 3 agencies. You can do it for free. Its also possible they took a loan out in your name and ssn#.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:06 PM

22 posts, read 27,234 times
Default Real Estate Fraud?2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Have the properties been purchased in your name, as an individual, or have the purchases been made through a corporation which somehow lists you as being involved? Have you looked at corporate documents (which can likely be viewed online through state records)?

What type of "internet search" have you been doing which discovered this? Have you been looking at tax records? How have you managed to find misspellings? What type of properties are these? And are you talking about a couple of transactions or many?

More factual information--without the drama of "police connections"--would be helpful.
Whether the properties have been purchased in my name as an individual or through a corporation which list me as being involved is not completely clear to me... yet. What i viewed online was my name with others(including my late fathers name) in MULTIPLE real estate transactions for a total of no less than 10 YEARS, was this done as a corporation with me as a member? I dont know,however i have never been notified of a meeting or attended one save this last one i was 'asked' to sit out.

If there is or was a corporation, how could i find proof of its existence? what name would i be looking for?
If state records, which, could you be more specific?

THE REASON I MENTIONED THE POLICE WAS BECAUSE SOMETHING THAT WAS TANTUMOUNT/IMPLIED AS A VEILED THREAT was made toward me and i have some evidence that certain 'things' are happening because of the law enforcement connection someone in my family has,i cant say much because it could get bad for me real easy.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:10 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,951 times
You don't need to be on an online forum getting advice.....you need to be sitting in your attorney's office.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:52 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ictheshy2013 View Post
it could get bad for me real easy.
Your story has the makings of a Hollywood movie. While you are at it find a screen writer. Since you are making the police sound corrupt, I think you have no choice but to go to the FBI. Mortgage and identity fraud is typically FBI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals