Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 11:58 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,659,758 times

Advertisements

So a few years ago I bought my first house and my agent did what I thought a pretty good job. So when it came time to sell my mother in laws house after she passed away we decided to use the same agent again. She have us a deal on the commission and the house just sold. She has been an agent for about 30 years. She had asked me several times if I ever thought about being an agent. I have been thinking about it and told her the last time I saw her I was thinking about it and she seemed happy and told me to let her know if I need help and basically get your license and come work for me. I need a career change is it a good idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 02:43 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,287,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
So a few years ago I bought my first house and my agent did what I thought a pretty good job. So when it came time to sell my mother in laws house after she passed away we decided to use the same agent again. She have us a deal on the commission and the house just sold. She has been an agent for about 30 years. She had asked me several times if I ever thought about being an agent. I have been thinking about it and told her the last time I saw her I was thinking about it and she seemed happy and told me to let her know if I need help and basically get your license and come work for me. I need a career change is it a good idea
You will not be changing your career so much as you will become a business owner when you enter the real estate industry. A successful Realtor must possess a strong work ethic and business management skills. Any business executive must be constantly selling so as part of your Realtor business model there will be a need to sell, but also there will be marketing, cash management, time management, and family adjustment.

I highly recommend a real estate career, but only if you go into with your eyes open. You may need six to 12 months of cash reserves and to be successful as Realtor, you can count on failure if you are part-time.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:31 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,041,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I highly recommend a real estate career, but only if you go into with your eyes open.

I wonder about that. In my area of cali, it seems agents are driving with their eyes shut.

what should a newer agent keep his eyes open for?

Old 03-16-2014, 06:40 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,287,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
I wonder about that. In my area of cali, it seems agents are driving with their eyes shut.

what should a newer agent keep his eyes open for?
The main thing is hype. Eyes should always be open for the volumes of hype in the industry. It doesn't matter what brand, or what tools, or how you generate leads, there will always be brainwashers out there trying to convince change.

I am a RE/MAX broker-owner. My model isn't for everyone. People don't work the same.

A real estate licensee, in order to be successful, must be constantly probing. Constantly prospecting, always seeking new business.

Education is a must. Training is for monkeys, seals, and dogs, education allows individuals to react to what's never happened before.

Just because John is successful in his model, it doesn't mean Jane can do the same thing.

One must always watch out for back stabbers too. This industry is noted for the number of people with a knife and using it while giving hugs. This should not indict the industry, but there are enough bad apples that a newbie must just keep their radars turned on.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:43 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,165,493 times
^^Great advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals