Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 08:01 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times

Advertisements

I really enjoy taking my own photos for my listings and the image quality I've been able to attain is comparable to what I've seen from professional real estate photographers in my area. However, I'm unhappy with my camera body.

Currently, I'm using a Nikon D3000 which Ken Rockwell once called the worst digital SLR that Nikon has ever made. I wouldn't disagree with him. The image sensor in this camera is garbage and I end up doing a lot more post processing to correct images because of it. It's also a pretty feature bare camera. It doesn't have live view on the screen and it can't be setup to take multiple exposures at once. Sometimes I like to use exposure fusion or HDR and this would be a huge time saver.

I like Nikons and I'm happy with my lenses so I was thinking of upgrading to a D5300. I like that this camera allows me to dabble in HD video should I choose to do so. Plus, the flip out screen is a huge plus for both photography in tight spots and video work. The new built in wifi feature sounds nice too as I could see photos instantly on my tablet or even control the shutter release from there. The image sensor on the 5300 sounds like a huge upgrade from my 3000 as well.

I'm still open to suggestions though and I was wondering what everyone else is shooting with. Please don't respond if you use your phone or a point & shoot. I'm looking for responses from people who use a DSLR. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 08:06 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
I have a Canon T2i.
It is my first DSLR. It is OK. Beyond my skill level.
I would say my photos are better than almost all agents, but not what I would call "professional" level. That isn't the camera's fault....

If you have collection of lenses and accessories that you like with your Nikon, I think it would be quite smart to stay Nikon.
Cameras pale in expense in comparison to glass.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:12 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
I was in the camera business up until 2005. I haven't kept up with the models since but I can tell you that the key to decent interior photography that doesn't require a bunch of post production is the lighting. And, the best lighting is the broadest light source you can use (in most cases) so that means either bounce lighting or diffused lighting or even a separate light kit with boxes attached to the heads. With all the fully automated wireless remote TTL multi-strobe setups available now, that can be another alternative route but, again, you want to spread that light out as evenly as possible and that requires more power. It can be an expensive proposition.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:23 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
I purchased a Nikon D3100 a couple years back. It is my first DSLR too. Like Mike said, it is way beyond my capabilities but I am trying to learn! It takes very good pictures in low light settings, I have enjoyed playing with the settings and even using the 'Guide' mode. D3100 from Nikon

Here's a shot I took just the other day.

Attached Thumbnails
What camera are you using?-dsc_0534-1024x683-.jpg  

Old 03-25-2014, 08:29 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I was in the camera business up until 2005. I haven't kept up with the models since but I can tell you that the key to decent interior photography that doesn't require a bunch of post production is the lighting. And, the best lighting is the broadest light source you can use (in most cases) so that means either bounce lighting or diffused lighting or even a separate light kit with boxes attached to the heads. With all the fully automated wireless remote TTL multi-strobe setups available now, that can be another alternative route but, again, you want to spread that light out as evenly as possible and that requires more power. It can be an expensive proposition.
Lighting is certainly another area I'll be investing money in. I'm thinking flashes on stands and/or tripods setup strategically should be sufficient with a wireless trigger in my hot shoe. There's a great ebook on using this method by a guy named Scott Hargis that I'm also considering investing in. I'll probably need some additional constant light sources should I decide to do any video work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I purchased a Nikon D3100 a couple years back. It is my first DSLR too. Like Mike said, it is way beyond my capabilities but I am trying to learn! It takes very good pictures in low light settings, I have enjoyed playing with the settings and even using the 'Guide' mode. D3100 from Nikon
The D3100 was a major improvement over the D3000. A friend of mine has a 3100 and overall it's a much better camera. I think they're up to the D3300 now at that model level. The D5300 has the flip out screen and the wifi feature which I like and the 3300 does not offer those. Plus, the image sensor on the 5300 is the same as on the 7100 which is Nikon's top of the line DX DSLR.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:34 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
I have a Canon 7D and it does nice quality video too.

I don't take my own photos anymore due to time constraints.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:22 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Samsung wb250f. Does a nice job with a smaller 24 mm wide angle lens so it captures a wider view. Great for shooting smaller rooms. Not the most high end camera by any stretch but great quality pic. If I need to I'll brighten the rooms up a little on photoshop.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:48 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times
I have a Sony that I purchased in October for about $125 and it takes great photos. Makes everything come crystal clear.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:34 PM

166 posts, read 411,793 times
I have and use a Nikon d300. I still have my d5000 which I bought yonks ago and used that. The 5000 suited my needs then. You need to keep in mind about the lens you are thinking of using and currently have, ie you should double check that the lens autofocus will work with the body b/c my 5000 doesn't have a built in motor (d300 does) so non-nikon lenses prob are limited to manual focus .. I use Tokina lenses and they won't AF on the 5000 (and may still ring true with the 5300).

You can bracket with the 5300 if you are thinking about HDR but its limited to 3 shots in steps of 1/3 or 1/2 EV. You can still do manual bracketing with what you have (ie keep the aperture the same and adjust the shutter speed) but yeah auto bracketing is quicker and easier. I don't think the 5300 has multiple exposure ability otherwise composite layers etc in post.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:53 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,359 times
I upgraded from a nikon d70 to canon t3i with tokina 11mm lens, mainly because of magic lantern added features. It has some extra ISO settings that make video less noisy.

That said, if I can take decent pics from d70 without post processing, you can do it with a d3000. It's all about manual mode and using a tripod. The viewfinder tells me whether I have proper exposure, so I never use live view.

When I was shopping for a new dslr, I was about to buy the d3200, but the crippled features, specifically lack of bracketing, turned me to canon.

Only bad thing about canon is the extra crop factor compared to nikon- makes me lose a few degrees of wide angle view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals