Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:51 PM

11 posts, read 18,513 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody.
Not to take anything away from this forum but is there a dedicated Real Estate forum for agents and investors? [mod cut-- removed reference to city where post originally placed-- moved discussion to real estate agent forum] [off topic] I am hoping this is a private uncensored place that adults can talk about what really goes on without the powers-that-be eyes scrutinizing everything. Thank you.

Last edited by observer53; 05-19-2014 at 09:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 09:45 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,912,914 times
[mod cut-discussion moved] Even if there were a forum, you would still get "politically correct/polite useless answers" unless the forum was anonymous. I surmise that agents who are strongly bent one way or another politically would not want to alienate potential clients. Further, fair housing laws would prevent them from opining about demographics, even if the agent held "politically in-correct" views. Reputable agents will lay their beliefs and opinions aside and represent their clients to the best of their ability. If they cannot do that, then they should refer the client to someone else who can.

What do you suspect is "really going on" that is not being talked about on city-data? There have been many posts about nefarious topics such as half-way houses and drug rehab centers. I am unaware of any hidden gems that are not being discussed in this forum.

Last edited by observer53; 05-19-2014 at 09:15 AM..

Old 05-14-2014, 10:32 AM

Question What is really going on behind the scenes

I am not talking about politics in the general sense.

What I am referring to right now is the useless information I get from the real estate company I am attached to. They think we don't see what is going on. It could be the same in every real estate company up here - no way to know. They want as many agents as they can get just to collect monthly fees for the staff. It doesn't matter if a large percentage of those agents never have a client. The staff gets paid no matter what.

We are told that everybody shares everything and that staff and agents are all friends. Not true - I am sure staff members and those agents who are "in" with the staff are ordered to act in a manner that does not allow anyone to perceive the true nature of the staff. They think we don't see the reinforced concrete wall that is between staff and agents. After all why would old agents who take 100% of the business want new agents to come in and start taking there business away?

Last edited by observer53; 05-19-2014 at 09:15 AM..

Old 05-14-2014, 10:55 AM

Ahh well, you have a point. The big brokerage firms are incentivized to get as many agents as possible to collect fees. As you say, it would be nice if the agents produced, but that is generally immaterial to the brokerage. Some large brokerages do a good job of training. Others do not. We used to work for a large brokerage, but we have always been completely autonomous, so we never cared about getting leads from the brokerage. We only occasionally interacted with staff with regard to uploading contract files, and we never did floor time. I suspect that the staff are like most people. If you care about them, are nice to them, and make friends with them, then they will be nice and friendly back. If you act like they are the enemy, then they will shun you. All of that said, if you are relying on the brokerage as your sole source of leads, then you are doomed to fail unless you are the only one getting the leads. You are an independent contractor. As such, you need to grow your own business.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:29 PM

Default behind the scenes

I do need to say that I am not a conspiracy theorist or anything and I do enjoy the people (from all companies) I have and continue to interact with. I also like the networking, MLS tours, and opportunities for education I am presented with. But the interaction is limited because of the nature of being an independent contractor.

After 35 years of working full time at jobs (some very long term) with groups of people day to day; getting a client will at least make me feel more like I am part of a team.

Training at my company as compared to others is excellent however the most important part - lead generation is very lacking. Not that it is not covered but when somebody leads a life of hating telemarketers, used car salesman, and any type of "smooth talker" it is very very hard to turn around and try to talk somebody into doing something that they initially don't want to do. I can't do that to people as I have been around to long and am just to honest - it goes against my nature. I am sure it is easier for the newest generation as they don't have the life experience yet.

They teach us to say scripts but I am not a machine. Incorporating all the information in the scripts my way while I talk to buyers and sellers is more natural for me. I can see why agents are hesitant to get engaged with clients because of the ridiculous government regulation on this whole industry. But you have to get out there and I'm sorry but experiment on buyers and sellers. How can you do a job with no raw material? It's like learning an assembly line position without being on it!

Sorry my post is all over the place - trying to keep it on topic.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM3001 View Post
...it is very very hard to turn around and try to talk somebody into doing something that they initially don't want to do...
This makes no sense to me. Realtors are not out there to convince someone to do something they do not want to do. Clients either want to buy or sell a house or they do not. We are not convincing them to buy or sell a house. We are helping them through the process. Agents are there to be advocates, sounding boards, and guides through a complicated transaction with lots of pitfalls.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:14 AM

Default Buyer and seller representation

Your absolutely right. But we have scripts that we are supposed to recite to people? and that is the crux of why I bring the term "salesman" into the conversation. While we are trained in the steps of lead generation it still seems to be a highly guarded secret that agents will not talk about. The staff on the other hand does talk about it but they are not agents and seem to be out of touch. This is why I see an agent/staff wall.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:31 AM

I'm not your broker, but my suggestion would be to toss the scripts, be yourself, and try to help your clients meet their goals to your highest ability. If people realize that you care and what them to have the best sale or purchase, then they will stick with you (provided that you are not incompetent).

As for lead generation, you need to advertise and get out and meet people. Forget asking the staff to help you with lead generation. The reason that they are staff is because they could not make it as successful agents. If they could not make it as successful agents, then why would you want to listen to their suggestions for lead generation? Whatever they think is the right thing to do obviously did not work for them. If you want to be successful, then take a look at what the top agents do and adapt what they do to meet your own goals.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:59 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,536,333 times
This talk about lead generation reminds me that my greatest wariness about agents is that so many of them are more interested in getting my listing than in selling my house. I have had several tell me a property was worth X, and list it at that. Then, they when lower offers came in, they encouraged me to take them.

There seems to be a big difference between agents who are after listings and agents who actually sell properties. It is much easier to get a listing than to sell it.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched wrench View Post
This talk about lead generation reminds me that my greatest wariness about agents is that so many of them are more interested in getting my listing than in selling my house. I have had several tell me a property was worth X, and list it at that. Then, they when lower offers came in, they encouraged me to take them.

There seems to be a big difference between agents who are after listings and agents who actually sell properties. It is much easier to get a listing than to sell it.
Ah yes, that is number three on our top ten questions to ask a seller's agent list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals