Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 03:07 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times

Advertisements

Hello,

If you are trying to screen applicants for your clients, you want to make sure they get only the best tenants. You do not want to give them someone who has a history of being sued for non-payment or illegal subletting. Is there anyway to find out if an applicant has been taken to court? I have been able to find if there are open court cases, but what about closed cases?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 06:59 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
Records search companies should be able to find that out. But just because someone has been a party to a lawsuit doesn't mean anything in today's litigious world. Real estate appraisers and brokers are sued over minor things, often no liability, but it doesn't prevent someone from suing. Same with car accidents, etc.

You have to be very careful in how you use such data to keep from getting sued for some form of discrimination.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Records search companies should be able to find that out. But just because someone has been a party to a lawsuit doesn't mean anything in today's litigious world. Real estate appraisers and brokers are sued over minor things, often no liability, but it doesn't prevent someone from suing. Same with car accidents, etc.

You have to be very careful in how you use such data to keep from getting sued for some form of discrimination.
So there is nothing free over the internet I can use? I can see if applicants have an open housing court case in NYC for free.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:45 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
Every service I am aware of requires a fee and setting up an account. Seriously, think about it. You can't get someone's credit report for for free - you can't even get their cell number. Someone that has proprietary software to search all data banks (that police departments, lawyers and title companies, insurance companies and doctors all subscribe to) is not going to give it out for free.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:45 AM

I just talked to my lawyer. He says you can look up past and close cases if you go to the county civil court house and use their computers. For NYC of course. But thanks anyways.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:12 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I just talked to my lawyer. He says you can look up past and close cases if you go to the county civil court house and use their computers. For NYC of course. But thanks anyways.
Sure you can.......but that doesn't help if they lied to you about where they lived.

If I was on the run, I sure wouldn't share where I dashed on rent, and my landlord reference would be my best friend's telephone number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals