Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 10:42 AM

23 posts, read 99,816 times

Advertisements

I am first time home buyer....i have also an agent ....i dont know the buyers agents views very much..... why i am saying this means we went to see few houses in an area all are of same square feet carpeted house .....one houses cost 335k some are 350K, 360k all houses are ok....the prices are different....in those few houses we selected 1 house and asked 360k house to 335k....the seller told she WILL sell for 360k only..... ok thats sellers wish....leave it.... but our agent is asking weather u rise few thousands to buy that house we selected...i dont think buyer would buy if near by house is selling with less cost.... are all buyers agents support only sellers or what i dont know....Every 1 will also get a doubt why cant i buy 335k house but the facing for us no good thats y we didnt go for that house...MY QUESTION IS ALL BUYERS AGENTS WILL SUPPORT BUYERS VIEWS OR THEY INCLINED TO ONLY SELLERS TO GET THEIR COMMISSION....
Give me your views who buy the houses with agents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 04:45 AM

116 posts, read 527,959 times
If your buyer's agent is NOT also the listing agent, then she should be working for YOU, not the seller. Sounds like she knows you like the house, and although the seller says they want full price, your agent is asking you if you would like to bid up somewhat, thinking that the seller may take more than your originally bid, but not necessarily full price.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:25 AM

222 posts, read 1,025,753 times
It's important to remember that even though the buying agent is theoretically working for you, they only get paid when you buy something. And the more you spend, the more they get paid. If you can afford to offer more and want to, then do it, but don't feel pressured into it by your agent.

If you made an offer and the seller didn't counter-offer at all, then they probably won't listen to another bid. But I guess it doesn't hurt to try. All they can say is no.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:05 AM

23 posts, read 99,816 times
i know the ultimate decision is sellers opinion i m not talking about seller but my question is our agent is not supporting us like if seller is not not listen to another bid ...our agent is asking us to bid more even next house is lower price....may be our agent should tell us to show other property if she is not lowering her bid....

Old 12-19-2007, 09:31 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,767,094 times
Ask them to show you why that house is worth more on paper.

Actually scratch that... Call your agent and sit down with him/her to discuss all of this. You guys need to get on the same page and start working better together.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:36 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
Maybe your agent is asking you to be more realistic in making an offer price. Is the house you offered on worth $360K? Did your agent do a market analysis showing what other buyers have recently paid other sellers? What is the average Days on Market for this price range and area? What is the list price to sales price ratio?

Did you sign a buyer agency agreement with this agent?

Maybe your agent is asking whether or not you'll play the real estate negotiation game, or are you just looking for a steal. Do you *need* to buy a property now, or are you willing to wait for the right house and the right deal?

Old 12-19-2007, 09:55 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,138,039 times
It's your agents job to work for your interests. If you desperately want a particular house, then your agent should lay-out your options on how you can get the house you want. If you are looking to stay in a particular price range, then it's your agent's job to help you find the best house in that price range. The decisions are yours to make. The word "agent" means "someone who is authorized to act on your behalf". Communicate openly with your agent, so he/she is clear on what you want. If you have the impression that your agent is not working on your behalf and foremost in your best interest, then it's time to find someone who will.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:21 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,319,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kl_1793 View Post
I am first time home buyer....i have also an agent ....i dont know the buyers agents views very much..... why i am saying this means we went to see few houses in an area all are of same square feet carpeted house .....one houses cost 335k some are 350K, 360k all houses are ok....the prices are different....in those few houses we selected 1 house and asked 360k house to 335k....the seller told she WILL sell for 360k only..... ok thats sellers wish....leave it.... but our agent is asking weather u rise few thousands to buy that house we selected...i dont think buyer would buy if near by house is selling with less cost.... are all buyers agents support only sellers or what i dont know....Every 1 will also get a doubt why cant i buy 335k house but the facing for us no good thats y we didnt go for that house...MY QUESTION IS ALL BUYERS AGENTS WILL SUPPORT BUYERS VIEWS OR THEY INCLINED TO ONLY SELLERS TO GET THEIR COMMISSION....
Give me your views who buy the houses with agents
Many first time homebuyers watch HGTV's House Hunters and think that's pretty much the way it works in the real world. Not so. Keep in mind there's multiple "players" in most transactions and oftentimes some serious negotiations with several counteroffers to get to the point where the sales price and terms are something that both the Buyer and the Seller can agree on.

A good buyers agent will be looking out for your interests ONLY. And a few $1,000 in price is not going to make much difference in her commission (in fact, there's many instances where a lower priced home may be offering a higher co-broke, and an agent would actually make more by selling the lower priced home, but that's something a buyer would never be aware of). The primary goal of any good buyers agent is to find their client a home that they love that fits in their budget.

To that end, make sure you're upfront and honest with your agent about how much you want to spend and what you're looking for in a house - then it's up to her to show you 1) the best priced properties that meet your criteria, and 2) the homes that come the closest to being your "dream" property within a certain price range. Beyond that - it's going to boil down to you choosing a home and then your agent running comps to help you know what a "reasonable" offer would be . . . then it boils down to how motivated the seller is, and how willing both you and the seller are to negotiate price and terms.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:33 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,424,653 times
The difference between those houses in commission is paltry, at best, so they're probably not trying to upsell you for more commission. Buy the one you want, as long as your agent shows you the comps to support the offer.

If you were looking at $300,000 homes and your agent was trying to get you to buy a $500,000 home, that's different.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:55 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Your Agent cannot force the Seller to meet the price you offer. That failing doesn't mean your Agent doesn't support you.

It seems from your description that your agent asked you if your $335,000 offer was all you would offer.
That is a yes or no question, and your description of the events doesn't indicate any pressure on you from your Agent.
Your agent would not be working for you properly if you were NOT asked.

Also, you mention that the $335,000 home is inferior in your opinion. Why should the Seller give up a better home at an inferior home's price?

I think your Agent was wondering if you don't see more value in the better home that you prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals