Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 07:26 PM

276 posts, read 1,458,699 times

Advertisements

This is a spin -off from the other thread. We've all done our fair amount of complaining about realtors over in the other thread. Some of the complaints have merit. I know there are many competant realtors out there who ARE doing their jobs. But what do you, as a realtor, expect from me as a seller?

As far as our situation goes, we were a FSBO for a while, so we have some knowledge of the current market and marketing tactics. We always have the house show ready (and this is slowly killing me) and are always willing to show our home when people show up after the open house and our realtor has left (as long as both my husband and I are home). We make sure we get all contact info from people who see the house without an agent and forward it along to our agent for follow up.

I think in order for us to be successful, I need to know what our realtor expects. Sometimes I feel my agent is just so grateful that she has our listing, that she "yeses" us to death!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 09:25 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times
Price the home realistically, meaning really evaluate the sold comps, the expired comps and the active competition. Discuss them in detail with your realtor.

Have the home cue tip clean

Remove all the personal photos from the walls and shelves.

Remove half the clothes from the closets and put them in storage if necessary. That will show the real space that is available. A cluttered closet will look like a much smaller closet.

De-clutter the entire home. This could mean removing some furniture. This allows the buyers to see the amount of space available and to better picture their belongings in the room. They do not want to see the items that you are proud of.

Have the landscape trimmed and pruned, even more than you think is necessary. Curb appeal is very important.

Redecorating, such as painting, carpets, etc is a personal choice. It should be discussed with your realtor to decide if it can help sell the home faster. You probably won't recoup all the costs but if it can sell the home faster, you may wish to consider it.

Do staging to some degree. Many agents can do this for you. Others may pay for a one hour staging consultant. Others may recommend a stager.

Remove all valuables from the home and put in a safe place. They can be easily be stolen during buyer home visits and open houses. The realtors cannot be responsible.

Remove medicines from the medicine cabinet. Stealing prescription medicines is happening all the time.

Make it easy to show your home. The more difficult it is to show, the less it will be shown.

Discuss the contact procedure with your agent. You may wish to be available at a moments notice, or you may require one hour. The buyers agent should call the agent, who in turn will call you to schedule the appointment. That prevents putting your telephone number out on the MLS, and can be a safety factor.

When the home is being shown, either leave the home for a few minutes, or say hello and let the buyers agent go on their own to view the home.

As a security precaution it may even be advisable to leave home prior to the agent arriving, or at least be on the outside of the home where you are safer and can also see the agent and buyer as they arrive. I don't mean to frighten anyone, but security is a concern that we should all be aware of.

Only answer questions that pertain to the property. If you're asked how long the home has been on the market; where you're moving to; how soon you have to move; etc. very politely tell them that your agent will answer those questions. You do not want to give out information that will be used against you in negotiation. So don't answer questions except about the house.

For open houses, some will say that you should not be there at all. Others may say that you can be there, but stay in the background and don't say anything. It is something that each realtor will have a different opinion on. You should discuss it with your realtor and decide what is best for you.

You will get the most traffic during the third to fifth week that the property is on the market. If your home has not had offers by then, sit down with your realtor with a new set of comps and discuss the other agent comments to evaluate why there isn't an offer, and what the new strategy should be.

Bill

Old 12-18-2007, 10:26 PM

276 posts, read 1,458,699 times
Great info! Thanks, Bill!

Old 12-18-2007, 11:03 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
If a seller does what is below, it should sell.

1-Price competitively
2-Attractive Terms/ Easy Showing
3-Remove potential hindrances (get a home inspection done up front and fix things)
4-Neutralize and declutter
5-Keep clean enough to show on short notice but doesn't have to always be spotless (no dirty dishes in sink, toilets clean, bed made, dirty clothes in hamper, etc.)
6-Let me do my job

Old 12-20-2007, 06:35 AM

3,340 posts, read 2,830,029 times
Thanks Captain Bill... great tips!

Old 12-20-2007, 12:50 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,274,710 times
I think one of the most important things a seller can do is step back and really look at their home objectively. This is really hard to do and one of the reasons why having an agent can be so helpful.

A lot of sellers can't get beyond the mindset of "my house should be worth this much" and "it looks fine to me -- I don't want to do any work on it now that I'm leaving." They just can't come to grips with the fact that this place -- which is probably their biggest asset as well as the place they have called home, perhaps for many years -- is now a commodity on the open market and they have to accept that the market's judgment is always going to win out over their own.

Even in this market, the best homes when priced properly from the start still sell quickly (at least in Atlanta). The savviest sellers make sure their home is the best comparable in the neighborhood (not just in their mind, but to every person who walks through the door) and priced correctly from the first day on the market.

It always amazes me that so many people will spend more time and effort getting their old car clean and in working order to sell than they will their home.

Savvy sellers also seek out savvy agents who will provide them with a detailed marketing plan up front (and implement it quickly -- preferably the day the listing hits the market) and a plan for how often they will be updating you with progress reports. As an agent who specializes in marketing, I am stunned by how many people will list their home with agents who do no significant marketing. Due diligence up front can save a lot of heartache down the line.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:38 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,862 times
Thank you Capt. Bill! What useful advice. I'm saving this for when we re-list later this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals