Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 10:04 AM

729 posts, read 1,505,787 times

Advertisements

I am listing a property where someone was murdered about 10 years ago. It was a tenant who killed his wife then turned himself in. I really don't want to use the word "murder" when explaining this event. Here is what we have come up with so far. Any other suggestions?

"A woman died in the rental house approximately 10 years ago after loosing an argument with her husband"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 10:08 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Call it what it was... "homicide" is a bit more clinical though. Euphemisms for that kind of thing cheapen the life of the victim and make it look like you're lowbrow and/or hiding something and by extension are untrustworthy to work with.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:20 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Does NC law mandate that a murder on the property be disclosed at all? From my recollection a couple of states have mandated that a violent death in a home in the prior three years must be disclosed but in other cases I believe that most mandate it only if the potential buyer actually asks.

This is something that happened 10 years ago and I see no reason at all to even bring it up unless state law decrees it.

And if you're compelled to write something, at least make it grammatically correct. "Losing" not "loosing" and that much information is TMI anyway in my opinion.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
And if you're compelled to write something, at least make it grammatically correct. "Losing" not "loosing" and that much information is TMI anyway in my opinion.
Oops. So much for rereading what I wrote for errors

I'm not positive that this needs to be disclosed and we are checking into it.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:16 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by young92 View Post
I'm not positive that this needs to be disclosed and we are checking into it.
Yes, you need to figure that out first.

"This house is to die for" would sound a bit tacky.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:44 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post

Oh GROAN!!!! But thanks for the chuckle!

Old 08-07-2014, 11:51 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
That was a LOL moment.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:01 PM

300 posts, read 438,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Does NC law mandate that a murder on the property be disclosed at all? From my recollection a couple of states have mandated that a violent death in a home in the prior three years must be disclosed but in other cases I believe that most mandate it only if the potential buyer actually asks.

This is something that happened 10 years ago and I see no reason at all to even bring it up unless state law decrees it.

Moderator cut: personal remarks

My advice, disclose it upfront. Name, date. Police report #, court conviction records. If the buyer has questions reffer them to the cops. It's better to discloes up front then waste a bunch of time and money when buyers cancel escrow. Trying to spin it or cover-up will only make you look dishonest and complict.

Last edited by Marka; 08-09-2014 at 04:04 AM..

Old 08-07-2014, 12:18 PM

What I've been able to find out so far is that this does not need to be disclosed but I still think it should be. I once represented a seller who had been on the convicted sex offender list. Of course, I didn't find this out until it was under contract and even though the guy no longer had to register with the state, it was still a fact that the buyers were not comfortable with. So in terms of someone being killed in the rental house at this property, I think it should be disclosed regardless but there has to be a less stark way of stating it than "a person was murdered here". I don't want to minimize what happened to the victim but neither do I want to hurt a potential sale for my seller who had nothing to do with it.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:29 PM

300 posts, read 438,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by young92 View Post
So in terms of someone being killed in the rental house at this property, I think it should be disclosed regardless but there has to be a less stark way of stating it than "a person was murdered here". I don't want to minimize what happened to the victim but neither do I want to hurt a potential sale for my seller who had nothing to do with it.
IMO, the best way to "represent" and "de-emotionalize" the event is by providing un-embelished facts.Date.Names.Police report#. Simple. If the buyer wants more info it's up to them to research facts like the police report. Refrain from offering opinions or rummors. Allow the buyer to come to thier own colnclusions. I think you'll find that most folks won't view this as a deal breaker. If the home and price are right, they find away to justify the history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals