U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2007, 12:56 PM

540 posts, read 1,958,380 times

Advertisements

I hear many agents in our area lamenting the "terrible market" conditions. There are rumors (many of them fact-based) of agents departing the profession for greener pastures...and many people are talking about ways to "hang on" until the market turns again.

What are YOU doing/planning to navigate these waters?

I'm looking for innovative and creative ways that the pros out there are planning to not only survive, but thrive in this market, thus being in a BETTER position when the market turns again (as it always does).

As for me: I am the host of a local radio show in my market. My goal is to provide effective consumer education, much like this forum...a resource for people about the complexities of real estate. People want a reliable resource of information...unbiased and not focused on selling them something. I am trying to provide that so that when they are looking for someone they like and trust when they are READY to buy or sell...they'll think of me.

Please...share YOUR ideas.

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 02:02 PM

34,325 posts, read 59,671,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePautsch View Post
I hear many agents in our area lamenting the "terrible market" conditions. There are rumors (many of them fact-based) of agents departing the profession for greener pastures...and many people are talking about ways to "hang on" until the market turns again.

What are YOU doing/planning to navigate these waters?

I'm looking for innovative and creative ways that the pros out there are planning to not only survive, but thrive in this market, thus being in a BETTER position when the market turns again (as it always does).

As for me: I am the host of a local radio show in my market. My goal is to provide effective consumer education, much like this forum...a resource for people about the complexities of real estate. People want a reliable resource of information...unbiased and not focused on selling them something. I am trying to provide that so that when they are looking for someone they like and trust when they are READY to buy or sell...they'll think of me.

Please...share YOUR ideas.

D
Dave,
1. You gotta be blogging real estate.
With the right keywords, people will find you.

2. The worst thing to do is to reduce promotion because you think the market is bad. Keep promoting. I like the radio show idea.

3. Promote your successes, a la, "Dave P. got it SOLD in 24 days! Why hire a Realtor who thinks the market is bad?"

4. Affirmative self-assurance. People perform based on how they talk. Few pessemists rise to the top, ever. Make yourself think success. Someone will thrive in your market. It might as well be you! I'll keep my eye on the rear view mirror, to see if you get lost in my dust!

Old 12-24-2007, 03:01 PM

540 posts, read 1,958,380 times
Mike, I couldn't agree more with your sentiments about having a positive view of the market. When people ask me "how's the market?" I always respond that it's great for somebody. Motivated sellers are still getting their homes sold...and qualified buyers are still buying. I tell them that the biggest problem in real estate today is that everybody THINKS the market is bad...and that creates a lot of opportunities for those of us who know better.

I have shifted my client focus right now from primarily sellers to buyers...at least for the first part of this year.

Blogging, I agree there also - I've been on Active Rain and my own personal blog, in addition Realtor.com has recently started a blog outlet, as has a website called lender411 (more articles than blogs, but the same effect).

Old 12-25-2007, 10:13 AM

62 posts, read 206,679 times
Definitely blog. I've had several closed transactions directly attributable to Active Rain. And I've picked up a potential buyer here on the City-Data forums. The Internet is where it's happening.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:52 PM

9,291 posts, read 18,374,390 times
Positive is good.
Must keep advertising.
Get more listings.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:48 AM

138 posts, read 578,845 times
Blogging is awesome, I have one myself. However, you have to lead generate. That means get on the phone and make the calls. Most Realtors won't do that. Just ask, "Is there anyone you know who is thinking about buying or selling real estate in the next six months?" Keep building your database and weed it out on a daily basis. Turn those "have not met" clients into "have mets". Ask for the business. It's not rocket science, it's just hard work. I look forward to this next year in real estate!

Old 12-26-2007, 04:12 PM

2,203 posts, read 8,464,936 times
Personally I'm planning on starting a "helpful real estate agent" show on HGTV or TLC for this next year. Maybe something like going to the homes of sellers whose houses aren't selling and offering reasons for "why their house hasn't sold" and advice on what they can do to Get It Sold . . . or maybe a show where I tour houses, run CMA's, and tell the homeowners "What's My House Worth". . . . Or, better yet, why not showcase how I help firsttime homebuyers and name the show something clever like "Property Virgins"?

Oops! I guess somebody has already done that!

Well, maybe I'll just have to stick to giving the best service I can through keeping up with the local market, continuing ed, honing my negotiation skills, keeping up-to-date with mortgage rates and new legislation impacting home buyers and sellers, etc. . . . And working for my clients as if I was working for my best friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals