Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 07:08 PM

66 posts, read 132,270 times

Advertisements

I understand that as a new agent I'm expected to make a list of everyone I know and start sending them emails/actual mail letting them know I am now an agent. The company/my broker I work with has a contact system through their website I'm supposed to enter emails in of people I know. I'm really uncomfortable doing that is the thing. I can make a facebook page and let my friends and family on facebook know I'm an agent can't I? I also plan to leave business cards at local businesses,get magnet signs for my vehicle, and set do raffles at local events. Is it aabsolutely necessary to do that list through my brokers website or is it ok if I say no thanks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 08:26 PM

404 posts, read 895,062 times
If I'm your friend or someone you know,
the day you plug my email address into that website,
I no longer am.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:37 AM

8,559 posts, read 12,327,971 times
Default Just say "no"...thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by el1zabeth View Post
Is it aabsolutely necessary to do that list through my brokers website or is it ok if I say no thanks?
I wouldn't do it. If you want to reach out to friends and family, do it on your own.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:03 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,911,376 times
Quote:
I understand that as a new agent I'm expected to make a list of everyone I know and start sending them emails/actual mail letting them know I am now an agent. The company/my broker I work with has a contact system through their website I'm supposed to enter emails in of people I know. I'm really uncomfortable doing that is the thing. I can make a facebook page and let my friends and family on facebook know I'm an agent can't I? I also plan to leave business cards at local businesses,get magnet signs for my vehicle, and set do raffles at local events. Is it aabsolutely necessary to do that list through my brokers website or is it ok if I say no thanks?
It's a contact management system. They offer it to you because they know it's important that you have one. Experience tells us that most new agents don't have an organized system for tracking prospects, including their sphere of influence, and therefore don't engage in the activities that will bring them business. If you have a system, good for you. So long as you engage with people and market your business, they're not going to force the issue of using their system. Use whatever system you want.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:54 AM

8,663 posts, read 22,843,809 times
Who owns the information once you load it into their contact system? Even though I pay for a similar system with my bank, once I enter my prior customer database into my bank's contact management program, the bank "owns" that contact. By my employment agreement, I agree to not contact bank contacts before a one year period after my departure.

For that reason, my newlsetters will always be homegrown and filled with information I would want to receive, not with advice on cleaning out a closet and a format going out to 1000's by every loan officer subscribing to the service. It may not be slick and polished, but I am the only one in my office that receives regular requests to be added to my distribution list.

Whether canned or not, make sure the content is something you, yourself, would want. If not, as someone hinted, you may find yourself with fewer friends.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:18 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,972,998 times
The only thing I send out to family and friends is a monthly update on the real estate trends (price sq ft, # of sales, inventory, etc). Most people, even if not planning to sell anytime soon, love to see that information. Only 2 have opted out. I do keep a contact database for the rest, but I don't do canned email because it seems to impersonal to me. I reach out and discuss items that I know interest them.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:45 PM

265 posts, read 403,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv28 View Post
If I'm your friend or someone you know,
the day you plug my email address into that website,
I no longer am.
If that's the case, you're a pretty sh**ty friend IMO.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:06 PM

66 posts, read 132,270 times
Thank you for your replies! I really appreciate it. : ) I would hope no one would stop being my friend over it lol, but I just don't think I'm comfortable with giving out a bunch of peoples emails.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:44 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,911,376 times
Quote:
Thank you for your replies! I really appreciate it. : ) I would hope no one would stop being my friend over it lol, but I just don't think I'm comfortable with giving out a bunch of peoples emails.
Would you really be "giving out a bunch of people's emails", any more that you would be giving them to Google when you use gmail, or to Microsoft if you use Outlook?? My company offers an online contact management system as well, because it's easy, convenient, free of charge, and available on any computer at which I can access the internet. They never send anything out to any of my contacts, & they don't distribute, use, or even access, any of the info I put there. Do they have that ability, from a technological standpoint? Sure. But then, any cloud storage option comes with that particular worry, and I'm more trusting of my brokerage company than I am of any of those cyber storage companies.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:17 PM

404 posts, read 895,062 times
I wouldn’t consider it to be like using an email providor. I would consider it as handing over my contact database to my employer, who as Broker, then owns it. In real estate, your Broker today is your competitor tomorrow.

Some employers are requiring prospective employees to turn over their facebook password. Truly.

When it’s Creepy, Just say No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals