Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 12:19 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times

Advertisements

Tried this one in mortgages and got crickets.

Anyone know the facts behind an FHA requirement that all water heaters be seismic strapped?

I am trying to find out if it does exist and if so where it is documented. The local appraiser claimed it was required by County Code but then reverted to an FHA requirement when it was pointed out the County Code does not say that and the house is not in the County but in a City. The involved loan officer claimed it is a US wide requirement.

It is apparently popular with the Appraisers as it require a reinspection at $150 a pop for 10 minutes and a little paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 12:49 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
I would call HUD and ask where you can get a copy of the minimum property standards. Those are the requirements used by FHA.

Water heating strapping is a requirement out here so I don't know anything about nationwide requirements. The kits are like $30 at Lowe's and aren't hard to install. Not sure I would spend a ton of time investigating it for $30.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I would call HUD and ask where you can get a copy of the minimum property standards. Those are the requirements used by FHA.

Water heating strapping is a requirement out here so I don't know anything about nationwide requirements. The kits are like $30 at Lowe's and aren't hard to install. Not sure I would spend a ton of time investigating it for $30.
They are required here on an installation of a new water heater. And they require a building permit to install them. So they add about $150 to $200 to the cost of installing a new water heater. However they are not required to be installed unless you replace the water heater. And putting them on an existing water heater is about $100.

And I would note they can be virtually impossible to install in some corner installations without moving the water heater...and that is a much more difficult task. Been there done that.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:38 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Tried this one in mortgages and got crickets.

Anyone know the facts behind an FHA requirement that all water heaters be seismic strapped?

I am trying to find out if it does exist and if so where it is documented. The local appraiser claimed it was required by County Code but then reverted to an FHA requirement when it was pointed out the County Code does not say that and the house is not in the County but in a City. The involved loan officer claimed it is a US wide requirement.

It is apparently popular with the Appraisers as it require a reinspection at $150 a pop for 10 minutes and a little paper.
period, point blank? No other criteria? Because I have never sold a home, nor viewed a water heater in a home, that had strapping (here in my area)..

Old 10-16-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
period, point blank? No other criteria? Because I have never sold a home, nor viewed a water heater in a home, that had strapping (here in my area)..
Yup FHA/HUD requirement everywhere...

Old 10-16-2014, 02:41 PM

480 posts, read 1,183,263 times
EDIT: See post #8 below.

Strapping is not found in any FHA/HUD requirement (Minimum Property Standards or Minimum Property Requirements). It is a state building code requirement ONLY for the state of California.

However, because the California standard is more restrictive than the FHA/HUD requirement, the CA standard for water heater strapping is used for FHA/HUD-backed loans but only in California.

Last edited by TexasDillo; 10-16-2014 at 03:13 PM..

Old 10-16-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDillo View Post
Negative, negative!!

Strapping is not found in any FHA/HUD requirement (Minimum Property Standards or Minimum Property Requirements). It is a state building code requirement ONLY for the state of California.

However, because the California standard is more restrictive than the FHA/HUD requirement, the CA standard for water heater strapping is used for FHA/HUD-backed loans but only in California.
Nevada - Not CA. And the loan officer and Appraiser both swear it is universal in the US. I too could not find it anywhere.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Nevada - Not CA. And the loan officer and Appraiser both swear it is universal in the US. I too could not find it anywhere.
HUD Western Region is the source. Appraisers that service CA are also the source as this topic comes up from time to time on the various Appraiser Forums and they quote HUD Western Region. CA appraisers have to address this issue daily when performing FHA/HUD appraisals.

We currently service south central Texas and there is NO requirement for water heating strapping in this state. We also used to service Northern VA/Washington DC/Maryland when we lived there and there was no requirement at all for strapping.

EDIT: Sent a message to a buddy of mine in CA. He confirms it is an absolute requirement that double strapping is a CA code requirement. Also, if a home is appraised or inspected for a mortgage-back transaction of any type, it must be brought up to this double strapping code. He says he's not sure about Nevada because he doesn't practice there.

Last edited by TexasDillo; 10-16-2014 at 03:14 PM..

Old 10-16-2014, 03:28 PM

Interesting one. When challenged the Appraiser insisted that it was required by the Mortgage Banks. I then cornered the loan officer who said it was done only because the Appraiser required it.

My suspicion is that it is folklore in Nevada. I am going to try and see if I can get the local RE board to take a look based on a customer rip off.

Then I am going to drop the subject. It becomes moot in a couple of years as it is required in all water heater replacement so pretty soon there will be no one left who is not required to have it.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Interesting one. When challenged the Appraiser insisted that it was required by the Mortgage Banks. I then cornered the loan officer who said it was done only because the Appraiser required it.
The appraiser should never quote a mortgage lender or bank as the source of a "requirement". FHA/HUD and the GSEs (Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac) are who sets the standards. (VA uses FHA mostly.) If something comes from a mortgage lender that isn't from the FHA/HUD/GSE standards, it is either (1) an underwriting condition or (2) it is wrong (not a requirement).

The appraiser, who is supposed to be familiar with the FHA/HUD/GSE requirements in their service area, should state in the appraisal report something similar to the following: "Per FHA/HUD, the water heater should have a double strapping system which securely fastens the water heater to the surrounding structure. Cost to cure is estimated at $200.00."

If a Nevada-based underwriting wants to have a water heater double strapped and there is no FHA/HUD/GSE requirement for double strapping in that state, it is an underwriting condition that SHOULD be documented within the bank/mortgage lender's policies AND the UW should document that policy within the mortgage processing and approval documents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals