Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 08:38 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,099,432 times

Advertisements

What's a real good CD to play while showing a home? They say to play soft music and we want to do that but is there a particular CD or artist you can recommend? We have the home wired in all the rooms and outside so while they are walking around they will here it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 08:52 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
What's a real good CD to play while showing a home? They say to play soft music and we want to do that but is there a particular CD or artist you can recommend? We have the home wired in all the rooms and outside so while they are walking around they will here it.
Roma

I went to an open house a few months ago and the sellers were doing the music, candles etc thing. It looked desperate. I kept thinking "do I have a stupid sign pinned on my back?" Buyers in this market might be a bit more sophisticated than those in the past IMHO.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:57 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,018 times
Quote:
I wouldn't play music...to distracting in my opinion. Just make sure your home is decluttered and CLEAN, CLEAN, Clean.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:00 AM

529 posts, read 2,393,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Roma

I went to an open house a few months ago and the sellers were doing the music, candles etc thing. It looked desperate. I kept thinking "do I have a stupid sign pinned on my back?" Buyers in this market might be a bit more sophisticated than those in the past IMHO.
Although I think some people do go overboard it is pleasant to walk into a home where just the right touch of ambience is set.

My vote would be some easy jazz, check out Jim Reeves or Cliff Richard. Kenny G also seems to be a popular choice.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:04 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,146,402 times
Quote:
I don't want any music playing while I'm looking at a house. I don't want any TVs on either, I won't be blown away by the smell of baking bread or coffee, and I definitely don't care what kind of candles are burning. Those are all gimmicks.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael krotchie View Post
Although I think some people do go overboard it is pleasant to walk into a home where just the right touch of ambience is set.

My vote would be some easy jazz, check out Jim Reeves or Cliff Richard. Kenny G also seems to be a popular choice.
Thanks for the info. It's just what I asked for!
We are in the high end market so our buyers expect these little touches when they come through a home.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:29 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,974,961 times
I've always preferred Poison or Metallica for the background music...

JK folks, jk. I actually like it simple, clean, lights on, pleasant scent but not overpowering.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:37 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,774,850 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. It's just what I asked for!
We are in the high end market so our buyers expect these little touches when they come through a home.
Roma, there are many experts at staging homes that will tell you, and you would do well to listen to the experts, that very soft background music is helpful because it provides an ambiance. It must be very soft so that one is aware that it's there, but is not at all intrusive.

My suggestion is to use a generic soft jazz, light rock radio station, and not to get a CD that has one artist. Someone may not like that artist. You don't want them to even think about the music. It's just there floating in the background somethere.

Real estate is my profession, and having learned how to stage, on a small basis, is one of the things that helps me to provide extra value to my clients. When it comes to adding furniture and staging an entire vacant home, then I refer to a professional stager.

TV is a NO NO.

A couple of well placed candles non-scented may be a plus. However, keep a close eye on them so they don't get knocked over. They really don't need to be lighted, just used for decoration.

Many experts recommend burning a vanilla candle in the kitchen. That gives a fresh baked cookie smell which is pleasant in the kitchen.

You can hire a staging professional to give you a one hour consultation and get many more ideas from a professional viewpoint. The small consultation fee will be well worth it.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:56 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,974,961 times
Off topic, but this story was actually my personal house I was selling. I had a one of those little radios that goes under the kitchen cabinets and I tuned it to a classical station before leaving for the upcoming showing. When I got home, it had switched over to salsa music. Apparently it was independent radio station and the current dj played their own music. The morning had been classical but after lunch it became a salsa/ Hispanic station. I felt like a clown but it was amusing.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Roma, there are many experts at staging homes that will tell you, and you would do well to listen to the experts, that very soft background music is helpful because it provides an ambiance. It must be very soft so that one is aware that it's there, but is not at all intrusive.

My suggestion is to use a generic soft jazz, light rock radio station, and not to get a CD that has one artist. Someone may not like that artist. You don't want them to even think about the music. It's just there floating in the background somethere.

Real estate is my profession, and having learned how to stage, on a small basis, is one of the things that helps me to provide extra value to my clients. When it comes to adding furniture and staging an entire vacant home, then I refer to a professional stager.

TV is a NO NO.

A couple of well placed candles non-scented may be a plus. However, keep a close eye on them so they don't get knocked over. They really don't need to be lighted, just used for decoration.

Many experts recommend burning a vanilla candle in the kitchen. That gives a fresh baked cookie smell which is pleasant in the kitchen.

You can hire a staging professional to give you a one hour consultation and get many more ideas from a professional viewpoint. The small consultation fee will be well worth it.
Thanks for all the suggestions. We will have a stager to do some stuff around our home also. I just thought I would go ahead and order a CD ahead of time but we also have XM/satellite music (or something like that) on our tv (Direct TV) that we can play through out the home. I know I can find a soft station on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals