Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 04:48 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
QUESTION: Who usually (on the agency side) signs the Termination of Buyer Agency Agreement? The Broker in Charge, or the real estate agent? May I insist the Broker in Charge sign it first, so we can be sure to get signed copies (which we'll have immediately after we sign them electronically), due to the agent not sending us signed EBAA form until we asked for it?

You should be in fine shape if the agent signs it. The agent is a representative of the brokerage. Actually, it is very reasonable for her to sign it first, before sending it to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 05:02 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,045,946 times
Another responsibility of the buyer's agent is to set appointments ahead of time.
Sloppy buyer's agents don't do that.

I have seller-occupied listings with no lockbox, and some agents expect to see it with just 30 minutes notice. WTF?
You're supposed to arrange an itinerary the day before, at least, and setup appointments with the listing agents. If you must show it today, give at least several hours notice.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:03 PM

640 posts, read 1,986,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You should be in fine shape if the agent signs it. The agent is a representative of the brokerage. Actually, it is very reasonable for her to sign it first, before sending it to you.
Thanks, MikeJaquish.

We have both just signed the form, and the Broker in Charge agreed to sign it first.

Now we take some time to de-stress and try to figure out how to find a new agent who understands our needs (meaning: doesn't just nod in agreement, say they will do all necessary work to help us find a home, gets us to sign papers, then decides to not make us an equal priority to all of his/her other clients).

It's over. This is a good thing. I can exhale.

Thank you everyone

Old 11-22-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
Another responsibility of the buyer's agent is to set appointments ahead of time.
Sloppy buyer's agents don't do that.

I have seller-occupied listings with no lockbox, and some agents expect to see it with just 30 minutes notice. WTF?
You're supposed to arrange an itinerary the day before, at least, and setup appointments with the listing agents. If you must show it today, give at least several hours notice.
When we were on the selling end of real estate, it happened about 25% of the time that an agent would call to ask if they could view the house in 15 minutes-1 hour.

Lockboxes: Where I come from, they weren't using lockboxes in 2003. The buyer's agent had to call our agent, go get the key from the agent's office. When we got to Arizona, we saw for the first time ever--lockboxes! I thought, what a great idea! Our Arizona agent said they had been using them for a while.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:47 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Glad you got out. The agent sounds like a whack-a-doo. Sorry you had such a bad experience but you'll find most agents to be rational people.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:14 PM

211 posts, read 451,128 times
My guess is that your agent has had something happen causing the increasing erratic behavior. I feel bad that you got caught in her mess.
Good luck in finding a new agent, I am certain there are some great agents around and maybe some of the people local to you who have posted on this thread can help you.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyPace View Post
My guess is that your agent has had something happen causing the increasing erratic behavior. I feel bad that you got caught in her mess.
Good luck in finding a new agent, I am certain there are some great agents around and maybe some of the people local to you who have posted on this thread can help you.
Thank you. I also think something personal was affecting the agent's behavior.

We will be hiring an Exclusive Buyer's Agent. There are some in this area, so we can interview, see how we feel after the interviews, and decide from there. Our last experience with a Buyers Only agent was a good one, and we hope to duplicate that this time

Old 11-30-2014, 06:12 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Thank you. I also think something personal was affecting the agent's behavior.

We will be hiring an Exclusive Buyer's Agent. There are some in this area, so we can interview, see how we feel after the interviews, and decide from there. Our last experience with a Buyers Only agent was a good one, and we hope to duplicate that this time
There are many good agents who are not Exclusive BA's. Most people can't make a living working only with Buyers and those Buyers also want to sell someday.
I work 70% with Buyers but I also will help those Buyers (who I have a relationship) sell their homes.

Don't limit yourself or you may overlook some great agents.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
There are many good agents who are not Exclusive BA's. Most people can't make a living working only with Buyers and those Buyers also want to sell someday.
I work 70% with Buyers but I also will help those Buyers (who I have a relationship) sell their homes.

Don't limit yourself or you may overlook some great agents.
I appreciate the comment, thanks.

Could you please tell me what metrics would a buyer use to find a great agent, one who can represent buyers and sellers? Because if you have a formula to find great agents, I'd love to know what it is. Sorry for being a bit snarky, I'm very tainted from this whole process so far. It's nothing personal.

Let me get this straight right now before anyone decides to bury me in verbal abuse:
I don't think the majority of real estate agents do the wrong thing. I think most are ethical.

We had evidence our last agent (with us as a Buyer's Agent), who works with buyers and sellers, was steering us towards certain homes, and not allowing us to view other homes. For one particular home, we asked several times to go view it again, as we were interested in it, and the agent kept saying it needed too many repairs.
My husband was a builder for over 20 years, and a certified Building Inspector-he knew exactly what that house needed (from what he could see).

It turns out this agent was working with the listing agent (same company, different branch) to keep us away from the house, because she had another buyer who offered much more than he/she should have, and now the house is under contract. I was a forensic accountant for years, so I know how to dig for things, and find things and patterns that are often unnoticeable to people.

We don't want to pick out of a huge barrel again, and hope for the best. My nerves are shot from the last agent, who in addition to not being ethical, had personal issues.

I can see how someone who works with buyers and sellers may have inside information that their buyers don't know, and could unconsciously steer someone away from a home (to help out another agent who has a buyer with a higher offer, to help out themselves, even).

Old 11-30-2014, 08:06 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
As always, I firmly believe that a buyer should never sign an agency agreement without a clause providing unilateral right to terminate by either party, and this thread is a perfect case in support of that point.
My position as elucidated above is unchanged.
Whether you pick an EBA, or a well-rounded agent, DO NOT sign a Buyers Agency Agreement without documented unilateral right to terminate that agreement at any time.

Think how much personal sturm und drang you could have skipped if you hadn't had to request a termination, but only had to notify the agent that the party was over.
Make the next agent earn your business every day.
If an agent passes on you because they cannot agree to this, you have dodged a bullet.

Quote:
I appreciate the comment, thanks.

Could you please tell me what metrics would a buyer use to find a great agent, one who can represent buyers and sellers? Because if you have a formula to find great agents, I'd love to know what it is. Sorry for being a bit snarky, I'm very tainted from this whole process so far. It's nothing personal.

Let me get this straight right now before anyone decides to bury me in verbal abuse:
I don't think the majority of real estate agents do the wrong thing. I think most are ethical.

We had evidence our last agent (with us as a Buyer's Agent), who works with buyers and sellers, was steering us towards certain homes, and not allowing us to view other homes. For one particular home, we asked several times to go view it again, as we were interested in it, and the agent kept saying it needed too many repairs.
My husband was a builder for over 20 years, and a certified Building Inspector-he knew exactly what that house needed (from what he could see).

It turns out this agent was working with the listing agent (same company, different branch) to keep us away from the house, because she had another buyer who offered much more than he/she should have, and now the house is under contract. I was a forensic accountant for years, so I know how to dig for things, and find things and patterns that are often unnoticeable to people.

We don't want to pick out of a huge barrel again, and hope for the best. My nerves are shot from the last agent, who in addition to not being ethical, had personal issues.

I can see how someone who works with buyers and sellers may have inside information that their buyers don't know, and could unconsciously steer someone away from a home (to help out another agent who has a buyer with a higher offer, to help out themselves, even).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals