Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 01:40 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
That's actually all I would need.

For comparison one that I look at in NJ gives (your list with available in red):

Price
Address
PP number
Beds, Baths
Legal Description
Directions
Year Built
Lot Size
Square Footage
Frontage
Zoning(sometimes)
Air
Water/Sewer
Assessed/Taxable Values
Exterior Materials
Garage Size
Basement type
Pool
FP
Riparian Rights
Water Body
Wooded
Rooms Descriptions
Features
Appliances
Outbuildings
Landscaping
Terms
Possession
and Listing Comments by the agent

Which is a lot more limited.

Another for a different region (we have several MLS systems in NJ) gives nothing, nada, zilch. No access, no way of knowing WHAT is on the market in that entire region AT ALL. The only source is outdated info from Realtor.com that is generally 5 days late and if the agent is really lazy, maybe half of the info on the house that I listed above.

I think realtors in that area were really spoiled by a hot market.
I could see where that would be frustrating. When we first moved here about 10 years ago, there was no online site to go to, and even ads in the paper and Realtor catalogs did not list addresses or prices (??!!$@*&^!!). It was very frustrating. I think locally they have accepted and embraced being more open (to an extent), without sacrificing client/agent privileged info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 01:49 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
As they should. "Intellectual Property" is the life-blood of a capitalistic society. It takes a lot of risk, investment, time and energy to put this collection of information and expertise together, and to know how to obtain it and use it effectively. Should the general public be privy to this information? Sure, why not. Go find it. And whatever damage or reward it causes will be on their heads. As the old adage goes "Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it".

Again I go back to the discussion a few posts back about brokers just playing the numbers game, hiring the masses to fill their books, and how it has created this army of dolt newby agents who give a bad impression of what is really involved with becoming a successful sustainable real estate professional.
I don't think it's asking too much to have the address of a property. As another poster said, I don't want to waste my time, the realtor's time, or the seller's time viewing a property that looks good on paper but turns out to be in a completely unsuitable location.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:52 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I don't think it's asking too much to have the address of a property. As another poster said, I don't want to waste my time, the realtor's time, or the seller's time viewing a property that looks good on paper but turns out to be in a completely unsuitable location.
I'm sorry but, I must disagree.

I will not jeopardize my client for you wanting their address. After all, "who are you"? I don't mean that in a negative manner but, there are 100's, if not 1000's of documented cases of your type of inquiry resulting in break-ins etc.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:55 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,529 times
Ok well this has peaked my interest, my mother in law has had her house on the market since August with one open house, this is a very nice house in Paradise California and a beautifully landscaped lot. The realtor in the area has only called her to request that we reduce the price, we have yet to see any advertisement on the home. The price of the home is now below the appraised value, the house is paid off and she purchased a condo in another state and is paying interest on the note until the house sales.

From what I can tell by this realtor is that she is not earning her 6% and we will have to pay it anyways once it sells if it sells.

Should we try a different realtor in the area as this appears to be a dead beat realtor to me.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:56 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

I will not jeopardize my client for you wanting their address. After all, "who are you"? I don't mean that in a negative manner but, there are 100's, if not 1000's of documented cases of your type of inquiry resulting in break-ins etc.
So far I haven't seen many listings in my area without a full street address, but listings without full street addresses will be completely ignored by us when we go house-hunting. My time is too valuable to be wasted, and I refuse to waste my time on a listing published by a seller and/or realtor who feels that my time is not too valuable to waste on houses with electricity pylons or highways a stone's throw away. To hell with that.

ETA: Lest anyone think I'm a hypocrite, my house's listing included the full street address when I was selling my house in the UK and the web listing included a street map and detailed directions. Nobody broke in.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
From what I can tell by this realtor is that she is not earning her 6% and we will have to pay it anyways once it sells if it sells.

Should we try a different realtor in the area as this appears to be a dead beat realtor to me.
First off, the agent/broker will not earn the commission unless the property sells.

Next, has your Mother in Law communicated her dissatisfaction / concern with the agent? If not, I would ask, why not? Likewise, has she discussed the same concerns with the agents broker? There may be issues you are unaware of also.

If the property has not sold by the time the listing expires, and there is still dissatisfaction with issues controllable by the agent, then certainly you may consider changing to an agent/broker that might be able to do a better job.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:03 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,529 times
Yeah why is selling houses seem to be so secretive, what makes you think that crooks arent' going to have you show the house to them, as they will be able to see everything in the house and come back later cuz now they know what doors to check and locations in side the home.

I have yet to have a back ground check to see a home that is up for sale.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
So far I haven't seen many listings in my area without a full street address, but listings without full street addresses will be completely ignored by us when we go house-hunting. My time is too valuable to be wasted, and I refuse to waste my time on a listing published by a seller and/or realtor who feels that my time is not too valuable to waste on houses with electricity pylons or highways a stone's throw away. To hell with that.

ETA: Lest anyone think I'm a hypocrite, my house's listing included the full street address when I was selling my house in the UK and the web listing included a street map and detailed directions. Nobody broke in.
Publishing your address is your choice. And, once again, comparing the UK to the US is like comparing apples and oranges.

And while YOU might not have had difficulty, as I noted, there are 1000's of documented cases that had the exact opposite experience.

Speaking as a broker, I will not generally approve any marketing (other than the MLS) that is not "filtered" - no address. Where there is to be an exception to my policies, the seller will sign, not initial, a “hold harmless” statement acknowledging that they have been advised of the risks to their property and themselves by advertising the property address. We do the same thing of course if there is to be a lockbox on the property.

BTW, we do a really good job marketing our listings.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
Yeah why is selling houses seem to be so secretive, what makes you think that crooks arent' going to have you show the house to them, as they will be able to see everything in the house and come back later cuz now they know what doors to check and locations in side the home.
Agents / Brokers are advised to at the very least, prior to showing a property, get a picture ID of the buyer(s).

BTW, this recommendation has solved several murders of real estate agents by "buyers" in Arizona and California that I am personally aware of

Old 01-04-2008, 02:25 PM

354 posts, read 1,217,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

How about all that realtor signs upfront advertising a house for sale? Isn't that really an ad asking for people to break-in? You would think the "for sale" sign would be of more interest and tempting for somebody wanting to break-in than just seeing an address in a listing. Is that not jeopardizing your client?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals