Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 09:49 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times

Advertisements

I hate HOA but as houses are rising in price- might go for a TH or a nice duplex. My question is this - I see the amounts listed monthly some say yearly some do not say at all. For instance:
  • $225.00 Fee
  • Monthly HOA Payment(s) I assume monthly I owe 225?
* HOA Fee: $275 and nothing else?
How OFTEN this has to be paid ?are we to assume?

*HOA Fee: $135- HOA Fee Schedule Monthly

*HOA Fee: $160- HOA Fee Schedule Annual -- so divide the $160 by 12?

this make a big difference for my affordability- $160 in 12 months ($14)I can and would possibly do- just jumping from one website to another on same properties to figure fee-- I am going real shopping- Jan 5- after I see if my short sale homes moves an inch or not-if not will move forward- this is maddening- 10 of my picked homes disappear every week. So now looking at more affordable -but are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 10:35 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Annual payments are sometimes due in Jan. in a lump sum. Some annual payments are due quarterly. Some HOAs are online so you can check. Otherwise, your agent will have to ask the seller's agent. That can be one of your search criteria you give them.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:24 AM

Yea I am just in the Google stage- why is this NOT more clearer to the buyers? should not be a mystery -I see a TH for $59K a year wee- then after more searching see $275 monthy HOA? ridiculous

Last edited by tinytrump; 11-30-2014 at 11:54 AM..

Old 11-30-2014, 11:42 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
Im most cases when HOA fee is under $200 per year it's paid as a lump sum at the beginning of each year.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:50 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
HOA fee for townhouses are always high (over $100-200) because it always cover common areas (lawn, pool if any, other amenities), insurance (for outside of buildings), sometimes cable, water, garbage collection. On top of that townhouse HOA will collect one time payments once in a while (I've seen the range from $500 to $2500) if for example the reserves are low and there are some costly needed repairs like roof right around the corner.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:14 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Every development is different, especially when you are looking at townhouses.

One of my friends has a very high LOOKING HOA fee for her th...........however, it not only includes the various amenities (clubhouse, pool, etc) but also includes gas, water and sewerage... along with the usual master insurance, taxes etc. She pays quarterly.

Another has a th in a different community. The HOA fee is $200 a year. Which is basically for common area yard work and the street lights. There are no amenities. Billed annually.

My winter sfh has an HOA fee that breaks down to $84 a month, but it's billed annually....includes all the amenities - pool, clubhouse, master insurance, taxes on common areas, beach club, etc.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:16 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Yes, hoa fees for condos and townhouses also include reserves (saving up) for that joint roof and joint siding. Some pay jointly for water, some don't. (Never crazy about that one, particularly on townhouses, since homes use water at such different rates). You community may have other joint expenses like a jointly paid pool company, tennis court cleaner, yard company for individual yards...or not.

Insurance can cover different things, particularly on townhomes. Sometimes insurance on the patio, sometimes not; sometimes insurance on the deck, sometimes not. Sometimes only above a certain amount.

If, in your area, you are looking at realtor.com or the specific real estate company listings and it is not the custom to have any uniform listing of the fee, how often it is paid, and what is covered...well, you need a better system. (And not the ethereal zillow) And I would not even trust the ones that do list the fee because it may be old news.

You also need to know about upcoming special assessments and planned increases in fees.

And you need to know if the HOA declaration and covenants and bylaws suit you.

I'd say you need some one stop shopping with an excellent realtor in your area.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:16 PM

I have a realtor-but in A contract with a short sale until Jan. I don't like my realtor- she is not aggressive enough for me. more than once and I have always reach out to her-and the answers are basically- why you calling me? if anything changes will let you know. I think I will get off the HOA sales - period-

Old 12-05-2014, 06:51 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
If your agent is not responding, talk to the office manager.

Now as to a short sale. These are a real PITA. I know of more than one that took over a year, stubborn bank.

If you want a home, look at a foreclosure that is not in bad shape, if available. right now the pickings are slim as the foreclosures are usually dumped in the first quarter of the year.

Have you checked out Realtor.com? Has the listings in your market.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,578 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Call the listing office and ask. It can make a big difference. I was talking to a co-worker today whose mortgage payment is $1,100/month, and the HOA fee is $1,170/month (Seattle Condo).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals