Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:47 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,508 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I wanted to know if it's okay or standard or not to ask to give notice before showing a home? Maybe at least a 2 hour notice? Something like that? What is an appropriate time to ask? We are going to be listing our home soon and have animals and we want to tidy up before someone comes to see the home every time.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 02:56 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Hi,

I wanted to know if it's okay or standard or not to ask to give notice before showing a home? Maybe at least a 2 hour notice? Something like that? What is an appropriate time to ask? We are going to be listing our home soon and have animals and we want to tidy up before someone comes to see the home every time.
You bet it's OK to ask for notice!!

As for the amount of time, discuss that with your agent but, in my experience at least an hour, or two, would be very manageable!! And with animals especially!

Good luck

Old 01-04-2008, 03:03 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You bet it's OK to ask for notice!!

As for the amount of time, discuss that with your agent but, in my experience at least an hour, or two, would be very manageable!! And with animals especially!

Good luck
Thanks! That's great to know. I want to make the home look nice and neat and get our animals situated. We will be living in the home while it's for sale. So it's good to know that I can ask for sometime to tidy things up.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:33 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,300,551 times
Ask for notice, but be flexible. I've had clients who told me they were looking for land and after a few looks decided that they really wanted to look at a home instead. I'll try to give every seller the advance notice they're looking for, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:10 PM

195 posts, read 744,982 times
It's fair to ask for advance notice. 1 hour or so, but be flexible and try to be sure that you always have your house as ready as possible, especially if there are other homes in your neighborhood for sale. Sometimes those will have showings and buyers from those may decide that they want to see yours too but did not see it on the internet, their agent did not tell them about it, etc. I know of several sellers/buyers who lost out because they were not ready and the buyer could not wait or come back.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:09 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Hi,

Thanks!
Roma, I suggest a one hour notice. If you're keeping the house close to ready then you should be able to gear up for a one hour notice.

The reason I suggest one hour is that is much easier for an agent to work in to a two hour showing schedule with a client. If their properties are spread apart it could be more difficult to work with a two hour notice.

Just ask your agent to place in the remarks something to the effect of "Please give one hour notice for showing so owner can remove the animals" You may wish to specify the type animals. If it's cats, state that, or dogs, etc. The reason for that is if a buyer is allergic to cats and that's what you have, that buyer will not want to visit and probably won't want to buy your house. So why take the time to show it to someone who cannot live there. Save your time and theirs.

That is reasonable and shouldn't affect your showings. Remember, the one showing you miss may have been the perfect buyer for your home.

Good luck

Old 01-04-2008, 06:26 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
As is often my way I will agree and disagree.

If you have one house among many...and need or want to sell. No notice. It costs you. I think in a commodity area it can better than cut your chances of selling in half.

Roma I believe from earlier discussions is not in such an area and is relatively upscale. At that point an hour or two is no big deal.

Note though that it always cuts your chance of selling. I know of at least one 1.2 million house sold on a chance driveby. Would never have happened if they had not had immediate access. Rare though.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:58 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,717,585 times
The key is being flexible. Excellent advice from everyone....

If you put your house on the market, you WILL have at least one showing w/less time than you'd like, so always keep it tidy...

Old 01-05-2008, 05:36 AM

420 posts, read 1,534,427 times
During the work week, we have asked for 1 day notice (sometimes we get requests for 1 hour notices, which is fine). For the weekends, we've asked for 1 hour notice. This helped us get our dogs out of the house!

Old 01-05-2008, 04:50 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,254 times
If you are only going to ask for 2 hrs notice I wouldn't even mention it on the listing. When a call comes in for scheduling just let the agent know what time you're available to show and they'll work around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals