U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 09:36 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,047,915 times

Advertisements

Our house has been listed with a realtor for about 3 months. She is very thorough & great about following up with other agents who show the house. She emails, calls, and in some cases texts each agent that shows our house to get their client's feedback. The lockboxes used here have a system that sends her a notification every time a realtor opens the lockbox and gives her their contact info for this purpose. I also get a text or call from the agent who wants to show the house.

Please explain to me why it is SO hard to get feedback out of some realtors!!! it's about 50/50. half of them respond in a timely manner, and the other half seem to never be heard from again! It's so frustrating. I do extra cleaning, make sure everything is as close to perfect as I can, vacate the house with the dob (and sometimes kids), it's a lot of work! Realtors know this. It seems like it would be common courtesy to your fellow agents to give them feedback on their listing. Even if it's just to say "my clients are still in the looking phase, they aren't ready to make an offer", that's fine! It at least gives an idea of where things stand.

My agent says that, around here anyway, agents are really hard to get responses from via phone or email. She has the best luck when she calls and catches them in person.

Can anyone explain this to me?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 10:17 AM

38,721 posts, read 43,591,482 times
What feed back do you want "It's not the right house"?

That's the situation most of the time when you don't get an offer.
Usually feedback is about negative items like smell, condition and if your home is in good shape not much to feedback.

If you get no feedback, it's just not the right house.

If you are getting 50% you are doing very well. Here we might see 10-20% feedback.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:20 AM

49,943 posts, read 53,115,637 times
If you're selling, the only feedback you want is an offer.

If you get feedback, they weren't interested. Your agent should know the problem.

What feedback HAVE you gotten?

Old 12-17-2014, 10:21 AM

39,442 posts, read 68,407,111 times
I try to give feedback for every showing, out of courtesy. Also, to get pushy agents off my back.
I stepped on a screen porch a couple of years ago and the traffic noise was deafening. The house had been on the market for months.
Feedback: "Road noise was too much for these buyers." Email reply: "Sellers have lived there for years and they never have heard the road."
Told me more about the idiot agent than the house.

Honest feedback just too often offends the seller or the agent. So, you get junk like, "Floor Plan doesn't work for this buyer."
"Buyer just started looking" usually means "Buyer found another house they like a lot better."

If the buyer has sincere interest, I give nothing of value in feedback that can help the seller. I may give a buying sign, a request for a disclosure or a survey, but never, "This is the One!" like some lame agents do.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:23 AM

646 posts, read 1,200,544 times
I do try to respond to all feedback requests even though, if I've shown 10 houses that day, it's a pain. Sometimes, I can't even remember what the specific house looked like or why it didn't work and I'll have to go back to NALMLS to look at pictures and jog my memory. I agree with Rakin ... 50% is pretty good. Most of our listings get about 25% at best.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:30 AM

38,721 posts, read 43,591,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy112 View Post
I do try to respond to all feedback requests even though, if I've shown 10 houses that day, it's a pain. Sometimes, I can't even remember what the specific house looked like or why it didn't work and I'll have to go back to NALMLS to look at pictures and jog my memory..
I like the feedback where they didn't like something like the Blue carpet.

The house doesn't have Blue carpet, wrong house.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:33 AM

15,053 posts, read 37,185,449 times
They don't give feedback because 1) it isn't the buyer agent's job to do the listing agent's job. 2) agents get bent out of shape when you are honest. 3) they don't have time or 4) they don't like the listing agent.

You see it as a courtesy, but a lot depends on how the agent asks. Some send me 10 question forms to fill out (not happening), some ask me about pricing and needing to get feedback so they can talk their sellers down on price, some are just clueless about their jobs. I get a 90-95% response rate via email from agents that show my listings and I ask one question only "does your buyer have any interest in the house." Quite frankly, that is all I care about.

My sellers know upfront, before they list with me, that I only ask one question. I'd say about 75% of agents tell me why, like "the floor plan didn't work for them" or "too much work" but those are things I've already talked with the seller about. What I'm looking for is a yes, or "some, but they just started looking." I can follow up on those and work to encourage second showings and answer any questions that might be preventing an offer.

So when I've shown 22 homes in two days and I get 22 requests for feedback, the agent with a bazillion questions loses. I don't have time for that. So, how is your agent asking for feedback? How time consuming is it? Do you know what the negatives are about your house already?

Old 12-17-2014, 10:43 AM

39,442 posts, read 68,407,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
They don't give feedback because 1) it isn't the buyer agent's job to do the listing agent's job. 2) agents get bent out of shape when you are honest. 3) they don't have time or 4) they don't like the listing agent.

You see it as a courtesy, but a lot depends on how the agent asks. Some send me 10 question forms to fill out (not happening), some ask me about pricing and needing to get feedback so they can talk their sellers down on price, some are just clueless about their jobs. I get a 90-95% response rate via email from agents that show my listings and I ask one question only "does your buyer have any interest in the house." Quite frankly, that is all I care about.

My sellers know upfront, before they list with me, that I only ask one question. I'd say about 75% of agents tell me why, like "the floor plan didn't work for them" or "too much work" but those are things I've already talked with the seller about. What I'm looking for is a yes, or "some, but they just started looking." I can follow up on those and work to encourage second showings and answer any questions that might be preventing an offer.

So when I've shown 22 homes in two days and I get 22 requests for feedback, the agent with a bazillion questions loses. I don't have time for that. So, how is your agent asking for feedback? How time consuming is it? Do you know what the negatives are about your house already?
Excellent Post.
The checklist feedback forms, with requests for pricing analysis, whether my client has put the house in their "Top 3," whether my buyer is going to make an offer on a house soon, etc, are all out of line and I nearly never play along.
Specifically, pricing. The seller is paying their agent for a CMA. If they want me to do a CMA, they should have hired me.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:49 AM

4,573 posts, read 4,992,447 times
Don't take it personally. To be honest, the houses start to run together, and the agent may simply not remember the house. You take a client out for a 2-3 hour run, see 8-13 houses -- it's hard to tell one "elegant traditional brick" from the next "gracious elegance in brick" . . . especially if you have a client who is looking at one type of house -- they ALL start to look alike after a while. If something really stands out as outstandingly bad or good, an agent might remember. Otherwise -- it's just one of 50-60 houses they may have looked at that week, or one of 20-30 they may have looked at over the weekend with 2 or 3 different clients. Yes, you clean up. Yes, you leave. Well, so does everyone else (at least, they usually clean up :-) This is the painful part of selling a house that you are still living in. Again, do NOT take it personally -- frankly, they aren't thinking about you at all, they are focused on their client, and helping their client winnow through the available inventory, or searching for homes that will be coming up on the market, etc., etc.

I've had some snippy agents say, "Well, did you get a contract from me? No? That's your answer -- they didn't like it." Short, succinct, and to the point, though. If you're getting 50/50, you're doing pretty good. Emails are sometimes answered, feedback systems like Showing Suite sometimes get responses, and even then, with just 4 or 5 simple questions, agents won't complete the entire questionnaire. A phone call usually gets the best response -- if they answer. Don't expect them to call you back with feedback.

Basically, agents hate telling other agents that their clients didn't like the house. Especially if they are busy agents, if they say, "Well, they didn't really like the (kitchen)(master bedroom)(master bath)(yard)", then the anxious listing agent is going to launch into a two-minute cajoling whine "Oh, but we can fix that! Or make an offer, we'll definitely look at it!" It's wearisome and time consuming. THEY DON'T LIKE IT. Just consider how many houses you probably looked at before you settled on a house. A lot of the houses were perfectly nice houses, they just didn't speak to you. That's what these buyers are going through.

After three months and numerous showings, however, it might be time to do another comparative market analysis to see what HAS sold since you came on the market, and how you compare to those homes.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:03 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,047,915 times
I get it, I get it. Everyone is busy.

All the feedback we've received has been positive! That's why this process is so maddening. There have been a couple of comments about specific reasons why the buyers passed, and I can appreciate those and they don't offend me. Like...they really want 3.5 baths instead of 2.5. (but if they really want 3.5 why did they bother looking at my house when it clearly says 2.5?) One person said they wanted a privacy fence rather than the 4 ft fence we have the backyard. There hasn't been any bad feedback about layout or colors or smells or cleanliness or anything. That's something I'm interested in....like if I have a booger hanging out of my nose, I would want someone to clue me in before I walked around all day like that! Same with the house. Is something a turn-off that I'm not noticing?

My agent calls, emails and if she knows an agent well enough she will text them for feedback. And if it happens to be another agent from her own office, then of course she can catch them at the coffee pot at ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals