Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 02:35 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,336,150 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal... I've had my eye on a small condo which I think could be a great source of income.

Here's a back story on the complex:
The majority of the townhomes are foreclosed on and for sale. I still don't know the entire story behind that. But have gotten some clues and insights about the building itself. Here's a link: The Collapse of 1342 Rutland » Swamplot: Houston’s Real Estate Landscape ....scary stuff

The unit I'm interested in is as of now at $34K. This if from a high of $77.5. Yes wow the suspiciousness of the place even more intriguing.

I'm thinking I could pay cash for the place maybe borrow a little but (family borrow not bank borrow)... finish the interior (it's not finished) and rent it out for a good monthly rate (good for me that is). It's in one of the best/trendy/expensive neighborhoods in Houston . So from the steady fall of the price I'm thinking an offer of $25K would be good. That way I could pay it completely and take my time fixing it up for rent... or sale.

Think that offer would fly? Based on the facts you have here and that the seller will consider all offers... whatever that means

I'd really like to get an inspectors report. Just how scared should one be entering this building
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 02:46 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,076 times
ummm....structure problems? walls bowing? Wouldn't you be scared to rent a place like that to someone? What if the building collapses on them? Can you spell lawsuit???

Old 01-15-2008, 02:48 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,336,150 times
Could be exaggeration... iono. That's why I would like a report or inspection of the place by a professional... if only just to know.

Isn't there like a "lemon" law for homes. Could someone really sell a house that's about to be condemned or collapse to someone who wants to occupy it and not just tear it down.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:58 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
Could be exaggeration... iono. That's why I would like a report or inspection of the place by a professional... if only just to know.

Isn't there like a "lemon" law for homes. Could someone really sell a house that's about to be condemned or collapse to someone who wants to occupy it and not just tear it down.
No lemon laws for homes.. Buyers have the right to do a full inspection, if they chose not to, buyer beware..

Old 01-15-2008, 04:50 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,286,399 times
I wouldn't touch that place with a 10' pole. Hand me the keys for nothing and I'd still think twice. Structural issues, and the condo board has nothing? Best thing that complex can hope for is a really bad fire.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:38 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,595,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
Here's the deal... I've had my eye on a small condo which I think could be a great source of income.

Here's a back story on the complex:
The majority of the townhomes are foreclosed on and for sale. I still don't know the entire story behind that. But have gotten some clues and insights about the building itself. Here's a link: The Collapse of 1342 Rutland » Swamplot: Houston’s Real Estate Landscape ....scary stuff

The unit I'm interested in is as of now at $34K. This if from a high of $77.5. Yes wow the suspiciousness of the place even more intriguing.

I'm thinking I could pay cash for the place maybe borrow a little but (family borrow not bank borrow)... finish the interior (it's not finished) and rent it out for a good monthly rate (good for me that is). It's in one of the best/trendy/expensive neighborhoods in Houston . So from the steady fall of the price I'm thinking an offer of $25K would be good. That way I could pay it completely and take my time fixing it up for rent... or sale.

Think that offer would fly? Based on the facts you have here and that the seller will consider all offers... whatever that means

I'd really like to get an inspectors report. Just how scared should one be entering this building
Interesting...How expensive/exclusive is the area? How much is the dirt worth....because there's your value. I'm betting a structural engineer and code enforcement would make life H*** for you once you take ownership. Now a group of investors may come calling if you can get the dirt cheap depending on the answers to questions 1 & 2.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:52 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Interesting...How expensive/exclusive is the area? How much is the dirt worth....because there's your value. I'm betting a structural engineer and code enforcement would make life H*** for you once you take ownership. Now a group of investors may come calling if you can get the dirt cheap depending on the answers to questions 1 & 2.
I think that would be the goal, if you were an investor to buy out all of the units. One unit here and there wont give a buyer any leverage to get things moving but if you bought out 1/2 the building, you could force by vote the repairs needed, even leverage the condo association to take out the loans to make the repairs.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:18 AM

50,357 posts, read 63,939,201 times
NO WAY. Just because you can afford this place doesn't mean you should buy it. If you want to get into real estate investing, as in anything else, go for quality over quantity. I would not buy anything unless I owned the ground it sits on, and my future decisions did not depend on a condo board.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:36 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,755,083 times
Oh my goodness...after reading that link, no way in aitch-ee-ell-ell would I buy, unless the dirt under it was going to make it worth the cost of tearing that danger-pit down. And if that were the case, why hasn't someone already done it?

Oh no, I wouldn't touch that place.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:21 PM

177 posts, read 923,668 times
dude...you better RUN from that place! If a 'casual' inspector saw structural defects I'm sure a professional won't have anything better to say. That AND a broke dysfunctional HOA equals disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate