Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:28 PM

43 posts, read 537,858 times

Advertisements

Background: Our house has been on the market since mid-November. We have had 18 showings, 3 of which were second showings. Our realtor uses a showing service that automatically emails feedback requests to realtors that showed our home. Out of the 19 showings, 4 have given us good reasons why they are not coming back: too small, one said they didn't like the floorplan, one said they wanted a fireplace, and one said they wanted a larger master closet and different master bath arrangement. Everyone else says: well kept house, great condition, etc. We are planning on moving this summer and put the house on the market to get a head start. We are first time sellers and are a bit desperate because we are planning on leaving the state and don't want to leave a house (and payment) behind.

Question: Our realtor does not contact any of the showing agents. She will only email them if they did not fill out the automated feedback request (plus she will follow that up with a phone call if they don't respond to her email). But even for the second showings, she won't call them and say anything regarding "hey, let me know what I can do to make this deal happen". I have an aunt that's a realtor (in another state) who says she calls and does things like that. Plus, we just had a showing...all positive feedback (even saying price was about right), but said nothing about future plans. I know I am frustrated and really want to sell my house. Am I being unrealistic, expecting my realtor to follow up on things like that? I have talked to her about it, and she always cautions about appearing too desperate. So, other realtors, please tell me what you do on first showings with positive feedback and on second showings. How aggressively do you represent your seller? And what would you recommend that I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 11:07 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
A a buyer's agent, I am truly reluctant to give too much info to the sellers agent, just in case we want to play later.

I do not give feedback as a general rule. As nthew seller's agent, the only feedback I am looking for is an offer. Everything else is one more showing until I get one.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:30 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,155,258 times
Butterflies, as a Buyer's Agent I prefer to get a request for feedback by email and I reply to all of those requests. I prefer not getting phone calls for feedback for a number of reasons. If I'm showing eight to twelve houses with a potential buyer, I'm with that buyer most of the day, and I'm not in a position to respond to phone call feedback requests when I am with them. I take notes on each of the houses I show because the features of so many houses run together. I can respond to email requests for feedback much better because I can look at my notes at a convenient time(usually late at night) and respond accurately to the request. When I do occasionally get a phone call request I am usually not in a position to look at my notes and I end up asking the agent to email a request to me and I will respond when I can look at my notes. Generally, if you haven't received a follow up request for another showing or for answers to some questions, then the buyer wasn't interested in pursuing your house.
As a seller agent I request feedback on showings by email. I do it for the reasons above, as well as wanting a written record of feedback. I will send one follow up email request if the first one is not responded to. If I don't get a response from these it is fairly obvious that the buyer wasn't interested.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:59 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
It sounds like your agent is doing things right. She is paying a monthly fee for a service that automatically asks for feedback, and she is getting the feedback.

That service is good because if an agent is busy it prevents the feedback request from falling though the cracks.

She can only get the feedback that the other agent is willing to give, and as gbone said, some agents are reluctant to give feedback because it could be used against them in future negotiations.

Your agent gave you good advice when she said to not appear desperate. That will work against you in any future negotiation. It is always best for you to not discuss anything with the buyer or their agent. They may begin asking you questions and you may inadvertently say something that shows desperation and may affect their offer.

I like to have my seller clients out of the house when it's being shown, but if they are there, I advise them that if they are asked any questions that the answer should be to "ask Captain Bill".

If they ask why are they moving, or where are they moving, the answer is the same; ask Capatin Bill.

Attorneys tell their clients to refer questions to their attorney. It's for the same reason; so that the other party does not get information that can be used against you.

It takes time to sell the home in this market. Make a note of all the comments that you get, and see if you can see a common thread that will give you a clue to something you may be able to do to get it sold.

Keep communicating with your agent; it sounds like she's doing ok.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:44 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,758 times
I do all requests for feedback via email. I answer all requests for feedback via email.
But. If I get a response that is all positive I either email or pick up the phone asking the agent what stage the buyers are in and if there will be an offer coming in, what can I do to assist. I'm not concerned about appearing desperate, I'm concerned about getting an offer in the door for the seller. If an offer doesn't come in, negotiations can't start. I do not see it as being desperate, I see it as being pro-active and co-operative.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:50 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95butterflies View Post
<SNIP>
Question: Our realtor does not contact any of the showing agents. She will only email them if they did not fill out the automated feedback request (plus she will follow that up with a phone call if they don't respond to her email). But even for the second showings, she won't call them and say anything regarding "hey, let me know what I can do to make this deal happen". I have an aunt that's a realtor (in another state) who says she calls and does things like that. Plus, we just had a showing...all positive feedback (even saying price was about right), but said nothing about future plans. I know I am frustrated and really want to sell my house. Am I being unrealistic, expecting my realtor to follow up on things like that? I have talked to her about it, and she always cautions about appearing too desperate. So, other realtors, please tell me what you do on first showings with positive feedback and on second showings. How aggressively do you represent your seller? And what would you recommend that I do?
I don't think you're being unrealistic about expecting her to follow up with anyone who shows the house. I do it. And in a buyers market (assuming your market is conforming to the national norm right now) I don't think you appear desperate at all by making the call. But I also wouldn't get too worked up over it. The majority of feedback from people who don't want to buy your house is not particularly valuable. They don't want the house, but they don't see any reason to be rude or insulting, so they say, "Well, it's really nice, but somehow just not right for us."
You mentioned that you've had 18 showings (& 15 unique prospects) since you put it on the market in mid november. I know many sellers, and many Realtors, who would be thrilled with that sort of activity in the current market. It's also a common strategy to review the list price after a dozen or 15 showings that don't generate an offer. You might want to have that conversation with your Realtor.
And here's a suggestion. Some people might not like it, but I did this for the first time at the end of last year and it worked wonderfully. Have your Realtor call the 3 prospects who came back for a second showing. Make an offer to them, instead of waiting for them to come back to you. Maybe they liked the house and are just waiting for a price reduction. So go to them with "My house is listed at $XXX, but you can have it for $XXX -10%, IF, and ONLY IF, you can close by the date I want to be out of the state."

Old 01-17-2008, 01:30 PM

144 posts, read 520,262 times
I also communicate after showings via email. Buyers agents are more likely to provide feedback then rather than chasing them around by phone which they would find annoying and possibly desperate.

However, on second showings, I always call them. I start with simple conversation and I ask if there is serious interest, what other homes are they considering, are they able to purchase now or do they need to sell a home first. It takes practice to be able to talk to an agent you may not know in a relaxed, conversational way.

It is amazing how, when I ask those questions on the phone, I usually get answers. The buyers agents aren't as on guard on the phone as they usually are answering emails.

Your agent is correct about not seeming desperate but worded correctly, she would be able to at least get a feel about what brought them back to the house. If the questions are more conversational than strictly questions, she can avoid them thinking you are desperate and make them think she simply does this as a normal practice.

Your home has not been on the market for all that long, especially when you consider the holidays where buyers can back off for a while. Not knowing if these second showings are serious prospective buyers is probably frustrating you, so if your agent can get a bit more than just feedback about the house from the second showings, you might know more about their interest.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:40 PM

43 posts, read 537,858 times
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and opinions. It was interesting to see the various ways you all operate. I appreciate the insight.

Bill Keegan: I contacted my agent about following up with the people who have had a second showing and making them an offer (just in case they are waiting for the price to lower). I feel like we have nothing to lose by doing that. We did lower our price after the 1st of the year, and that is when we got the three second showings. Our realtor says that we are priced right according to the comps. But, I think it is difficult to get a true comp for our house. It is a small home: around 1300 sq.feet and there aren't many homes out there that size that have sold in the past 6 months-even that past year...let alone ones that are true competitors (not in as good of a community as we live in). I am hoping this will work. At the very least, I had a "heart to heart" with my realtor; she now knows how frustrated I am at the current situation and how motivated I am to sell this house (in case there was any doubt before).

Old 01-17-2008, 05:48 PM

15 posts, read 53,996 times
Quote:
Background: Our house has been on the market since mid-November. We have had 18 showings, 3 of which were second showings. Our realtor uses a showing service that automatically emails feedback requests to realtors that showed our home. Out of the 19 showings, 4 have given us good reasons why they are not coming back: too small, one said they didn't like the floorplan, one said they wanted a fireplace, and one said they wanted a larger master closet and different master bath arrangement. Everyone else says: well kept house, great condition, etc. We are planning on moving this summer and put the house on the market to get a head start. We are first time sellers and are a bit desperate because we are planning on leaving the state and don't want to leave a house (and payment) behind.

I truly understand your frustrations. Your realtor should always follow up with a phone call on the second showing. But please also remember that there are many properties on the market to choose from and buyers want to take their time because they can. Just a year ago the market had few supply but the demand was plentiful and now its just the opposite. The supply of homes on the market are plentiful so the buyers are taking their time. The homes in the best condition and prices right are the ones selling. You might have a nice home but if the home down the street is the same and a few $$ less, that house will sell. Its a tough market but also your home has not been on the market all that long. The current time on the market now is 6 months....when the market speaks we have to listen. Its not up to the sellers its up to the market... As long as your realtor is keeping you updated on all the feedback and your home is priced right you should have no problem selling it.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:59 AM

144 posts, read 520,262 times
Quote:
At the very least, I had a "heart to heart" with my realtor; she now knows how frustrated I am at the current situation and how motivated I am to sell this house (in case there was any doubt before).
Very good
And, you need to continue to communicate with your agent.
Too often, the consumer thinks we should know what they want and too often we as agents don't clarify what their expectations should be. Unless there is a full understanding between agent and client as to how we work and what both sides expect, there will be hard feelings and disappointment. This all should be discussed at the very first meeting and should be discussed throughout the transaction.
Communication is paramount!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals