Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 09:07 AM

10 posts, read 31,747 times

Advertisements

AaronS, we do a lot more than just bake cookies. Marketing, presentation, displaying your home to clients, coordinating closing. You can't put a price on a well marketed home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 06:39 PM

10,952 posts, read 21,937,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
Hi Miki, I'll play your game. Let's say I'm trying to sell my home, which is valued at today's market at $250,000. 3% of that is $7,500. Just how much does $7,500 buy me in good and services? Let's see.

Yard Sign (2 color, 2 sided, iron frame):
$102
Neighborhood signs (20): $110
Brochure boxes (12, in case I need 11 extra): $25
Balloons(17", 72 ct... realtors love balloons): $12
Listing on MLS (Deluxe):
$399

Just listing the bare necessities brings me to a little under $650. That leaves me $6,850 to buy advertising at undiscounted rates in my local real estate rag I pick up at the supermarket.

Before you get up in arms about having to be at home to show my house, I live within one mile of my job and can arrive for a showing at a moment's notice. My wife and I are neatniks, so having the house clean and tidy for showings isn't an issue.

And if the buyer comes to the table without a buyers agent? That's another $7,500 in my pocket. So after deducting perhaps $5000 from the sale of my house in purchases and time lost, I will come out $10,000 ahead if I remove realtors from the sale of my house.

Wow. Add in zero dollars for a craigs list add, and I would say that Aaron pretty much nailed it.

Bill...short posts. People like em.
It's not just about cost of marketing but that is part of it. It's about the time spent to do those things, the legal liability we take on for our clients, the knowledge and skills involved in real estate, the ability to handle trouble shooting when problems pop up, and the knowledge of how to manage a transaction.

Honestly, I'm worth my money moreso because of my knowledge and experience than anything else. That's why I'm getting paid. Other agents could copy my marketing (which is exceptional) and still not be able to do the things I do.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:42 AM

718 posts, read 2,076,707 times
So how about you pay for all the marketing you want done upfront and then when the property sells, your realtor reimburses you dollar for dollar each and every dollar spent. No...that never flys. Sellers want Realtors to invest their money ...their personal dollars upfront and then if the house doesn't sell...so what...seller has had a nice place to live and the realtor is out a lot of money. If realtors charged by the hour, sent a bill ....just like an advertising company, accountant, lawyer....would be more fair all around. Lawyers charge for expenses...so should realtors. Realtors should be paid for their time....whether they are showing, marketing, driving around - add in the gas, negotiating, meeting with clients, etc. Much fairer concept in my humble opinion.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:10 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,761,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitaS View Post
AaronS, we do a lot more than just bake cookies. Marketing, presentation, displaying your home to clients, coordinating closing. You can't put a price on a well marketed home.
Guess I'll never be a good agent. I never learned to bake cookies!

Old 08-18-2008, 01:08 PM

5 posts, read 9,171 times
The value of the agent can't be measured in a traditional sense. Currently an agent has put me in touch with a property that hadn't even listed. The only reason I'll be able to buy this property, if I do, is her knowledge that it existed. In the past, when I bought and sold it went very quickly. I'd much rather pay an agent more "per hour" to complete my transactions in a timely manner than have him "earn" his money. The agent who is worth the most will require the least apparent effort, so valuing him based on time spent (on that specific transaction) and the expense of ads, signs, etc., are a poor measure of the value of that agent. All the unquantifiable (is that a word?) benefits are what makes him worth his fee.
If we paid agents by the hour and billable expenses, the best agents would make the least money. There would be less incentive to work quickly and efficiently. Personally, I'll take the current system any day, as a buyer and a seller.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:39 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,150,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Guess I'll never be a good agent. I never learned to bake cookies!
Come on Bill - An old dog like you should know about that...

A little vanilla extract on a couple of light bulbs and you will swear you are in a cookie factory...

Old 08-26-2008, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 3,479 times
Hey AaronS.. Let me know when you sell your house as a FSBO.. I'll make sure I make a offer 10% less because I know you are saving 6% on a Realtor commission.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:03 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,654,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiJayne View Post
Then, Kdzgon asked if the agent's commission is reasonable for the services provided? She says that the costs of being a Realtor shouldn't really count, by comparing it to someone who says they need a raise because their credit cards bills are too high.
The cost of doing business is priced into everything consumers buy.

If you call in a plumber to do a job, the price of the job includes the plumber's:

Time

Materials

Pro-rata business overhead ( place of business, truck, tools, business licenses, union dues, phones, office equipment, someone to answer the phone, advertizing , business insurance, benefits, fuel, waste ( estimates that do not materialize into jobs and deadbeat customers) ......

Consumers choose to hire a professional plumber or DIY. Outcomes will vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals