Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 05:05 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,081 times

Advertisements

My hubby jokes that if someone scary comes to look at the neighbor's house, he will go out and mow the lawn in his skivvies, but it is really just a joke. We wouldn't ever do anything that would not be best for our good friends, and my clients. It just isn't worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 05:51 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
I recommend talking to your neighbor. Tell her that you are interviewing other agents and you want to give her the opportunity to compete for your listing. I believe you do owe her that much.

Save her interview until last. Ask hard questions of the others and then interview your friend. If you decide on your friend, then you can sign the listing at that time.

If you're not comfortable at that time, then sleep on it prior to making a decision.

If I were friends with my neighbor and I had farmed my community, and my friend did not give me the opportunity to compete for his business, then I would be offended. If he gave me the opportunity to compete, and hired someone else, I would be ok with that.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:40 PM

631 posts, read 2,444,963 times
Interesting twist! I was thinking of myself in the agents shoes. My neighbor wants to sell her house.
Would there be some folks I would not want to show next door to me? ahh, yeah. I guess I would not be the best choice thinking about it.
Race is not an issue, my issue would be a bunch of barking dogs,wild party animals, and hot rod cars.
My neighbor does want to sell her house(worn out trailer with crooked additions on a dirt floor). She's not using me as she wants about 140K for her crap. It's worth the land, septic and fence= 30K on a good day-house removal costs.
She thinks I gave her that price because I want it for myself.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 6,231 times
Default Trust your instincts

If you feel she is a fair person, she probably is. If she is a good Realtor, and prides herself in that, she will do the right thing. Just list on a 3 month contract and that gives you a short time to deal with her and if you like her, relist. If she diappoints you, honestly tell her why, and list with someone else.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
I am not up on the types of agency in NYC.

If they have caught up with the rest of the U.S., more than likely, your agent is not going to be the agent who brings in the buyer. Your agent is your advisor, marketer and defender of your home's value.

No one is going to more vigorously defend your home's value than a neighbor, because it impacts the value of her home.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:12 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,562 times
middle-aged mom, you are so right!! it is her job to market the home, and chances are another agent will bring the buyer. She probably won't even meet the buyer until a contract is hammered out, and you are in inspection phase.

Shelly

Old 01-28-2008, 10:36 AM

72,407 posts, read 18,196,480 times
If you are just talking about a neighbor who is an agent,then you need to check out if she is an active agent in your area,not just an agent. But I would not use a neighbor,What if it didn't sell,and you are still next door? Very uncomfortable feeling,don't you think?

Old 01-29-2008, 08:23 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
I've sold a number of lots in my neighborhood (one right next door to me--twice) and listed (and sold) one of the first resales here, across the street from me. The fact that these potential buyers would be my neighbor NEVER entered into the equation. Maybe some of that is because the houses are all on a least 2 acres, but my job and my duties to my client came first.

The reality is, at least for me, not another agent in my area knew this neighborhood, it's history, the houses, the advantages of it, etc. like me. Last weekend one of my collegues did an open house for me. I could have asked any agent in my office, but I choose her because she lives in that neighborhood (the seller is an old friend of mine or she probably would have listed it) and knows it better than anyone else. That kind of knowledge is invaluable in any market!

Old 02-01-2008, 07:42 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
Who better knows your neighborhood than your neighbor? Who has a vested interest in a good sale? I think she will do what's best for you. She is probably the best choice.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:27 AM

57 posts, read 245,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am not up on the types of agency in NYC.

If they have caught up with the rest of the U.S., more than likely, your agent is not going to be the agent who brings in the buyer. Your agent is your advisor, marketer and defender of your home's value.

No one is going to more vigorously defend your home's value than a neighbor, because it impacts the value of her home.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Good post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals