Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 10:21 PM

506 posts, read 2,279,724 times

Advertisements

NO WAY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> If she doesn't like someone than she will steer them away.....................I wouldn't even show a house next door to me ....in case the bought the house and they weren't happy................it would be like she was the landlord and she was interviewing people to rent she is going to pick the best person for her.............nothing personal it is just human nature.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 07:08 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,775,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westchester View Post
NO WAY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> If she doesn't like someone than she will steer them away.....................I wouldn't even show a house next door to me ....in case the bought the house and they weren't happy................it would be like she was the landlord and she was interviewing people to rent she is going to pick the best person for her.............nothing personal it is just human nature.......
The listing agent is going to do the marketing to attract agents with buyers, and buyers. The chances of the listing agent bringing the buyer are about 5%. When the buyers agent brings an offer, the listing agent will have no choice but to negotiate. She may never see the buyer until after a contract is signed.

If the listing agent happens to run into a prospect that she doesn't like, then chances are that the prospect will not like her either and may not become her client.

I understand what you're saying, but if this agent is a real pro, then she will put the interest of her client above her interests like she is obligated to do. Hopefully, the OP can determine that during the interview.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:34 PM

306 posts, read 1,247,715 times
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Who better knows your neighborhood than your neighbor? Who has a vested interest in a good sale? I think she will do what's best for you. She is probably the best choice.
We had renters next door at our previous residence ... the owners never wanted to sell ... and they never gave me a chance to find them good renters ... I even offered to do it gratis (for NO pay and no commission) I wanted decent neighbors (ie, no flakes, party animals, drug house) ... she never gave me the opportunity ... the owner advertised in the paper, never got credit checked ... the house was always filled with people who ran out on their rent or broke their lease.

As a neighbor who cared about who lived next door, I would have checked references and credit ... she would have gotten quality renters instead of flakes ... It was her loss in the long run.

I think hiring someone who is vested in the nieghborhood is a good thing - especailly if they are professional - they will do right by you. Biased or not, that's my humble opinion

Old 02-05-2008, 03:09 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,985 times
I had a listing 3 doors down from me, I felt so pressured to get the house sold, I knew the neighbors were watching to see how quickly it sold. Unfortunately it did not, now I feel like the neighbors would never hire me, thinking, she cannot sell these homes. The sellers refused to lower the price when I asked for it, I did a lot of marketing, but I just could not get it sold.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:11 PM

306 posts, read 1,247,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
I had a listing 3 doors down from me, I felt so pressured to get the house sold, I knew the neighbors were watching to see how quickly it sold. Unfortunately it did not, now I feel like the neighbors would never hire me, thinking, she cannot sell these homes. The sellers refused to lower the price when I asked for it, I did a lot of marketing, but I just could not get it sold.
That is such a bummer!

I had the almost the opposite happen ... my neighbors didn't hire me. I didn't solicit them, but they all knew I was a Realtor. In the falling market of Phoenix in 2007 eventually there were 8 house for sale on our long block. They all sat there. We decide to move and I put our home on the market. Many of my nieghbors were bummed to see my sale sigh go up, but I also thing they did not think my home would sell, since so many others weren't.

Well, I sold my house in 36 days. I priced it right and showed it well. The nieghbors were shocked. Some said they wished I was their Realtor ... but, it I said sorry, I can't I'm moving.

I went back for the closing and every house that had been on the market 4 months prior to me putting mine on, was still sitting there.

You are right about price ... Price point, people ... price point ... I did not give my house away, I just priced it realistically.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:36 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,774,462 times
I moved to my neighborhood a year ago, which is only one street surrounded by woods, became a real estate agent and before I could introduce myself to my neighbors two of the houses went on the market. I was upset! Recently neighbor listed her house with someone else. Who would have thought three houses in a neighborhood with only 12 houses, 3 would go up for sale within a year.

When the third went up at first I was upset and then thought about it and decided I'm better off not selling neighbors houses. I would sell to the first qualified buyer that my seller wanted to accept an offer from. If the rest of the street didn't like the decision, I still have to live here.

In regards to your question, your neighbor should be given the chance to interview but if you think for a second they are going to be selective, especially doing something against the law - don't hire them.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:04 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,498,866 times
Default I Spoke with My Neighbor Today, and with her Broker

Well, my neighbor came over today with her broker, and I addressed the discrimination issue directly. Her broker said, in effect, that he had a license to protect and therefore too much to lose by discriminating. His body language and demeanor seemed in sync with what he was saying. I also told the story of the agent who said she apologized to a homeowner for bringing minority prospects to the house. I watched their reactions.

I feel comfortable that they won't discriminate.

I may talk to one or more other agents/brokers before I make the final decision, but I think I am going to use my neighbor and her broker. I felt pretty comfortable with her and with her broker. No patronizing, no pressure, no disrespect. And I sensed a lot of experience and competence.

I asked about a marketing plan, and I was told I could do an exclusive listing or an MLS listing. They like to do open houses, but I don't have to do that if I don't want to. (I have 5 cats and I don't want them traumatized). They also said I didn't have to do any fluffing up or renovating. The house should be sold "as is"; most buyers would want to gut the house and do their own renovating, so such expense and disruption would be for nothing. They also gave me a reasonable sales figure. Not what I wanted to hear, but probably what I needed to hear. The prices have gone down, and they will probably continue to go down. But no one has a crystal ball. No one can predict what will happen 5 years from now.

Any feedback?

I am thankful for all the great knowledge and advice I have received on this forum. I will keep using it, even if I don't have a lot to post.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:27 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,775,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post

I asked about a marketing plan, and I was told I could do an exclusive listing or an MLS listing...
Any feedback?
I'm concerned that I didn't hear anything about a market plan. If you do an exclusive listing, then there will not be any marketing. It won't be on the mls and they won't spend money marketing because you could sell it yourself if someone came in, and they would get nothing.

It really sounds like they are going to use what I call the 4 P's of marketing.
  • Put a lock box on the door
  • Put a sign in the yard
  • Put it in the mls
  • Pray that it sells.
I don't mean to sound flippant, but that is what you've described, and it is the most basic marketing that everyone does. It takes more than that in this market.

So, do continue to talk with other agents and get their marketing plan in writing. Compare it with your neighbors.

The gave you a price that you didn't want to hear. Did they show you how they arrived at that number?

I can't comment on whether you need redecoration, or anything, having not seen the home.

However, if as she said, a rehabber will come in and gut the home, they are are going to want a 30 to 40% lower than current market price, or else they will not make any money.

A regular home buyer who sees they need to rehab, and is willing to, is also going to want a big discount.

The normal buyer of today does not want to do any work on the house. They don't have time.

Let us know what the other agents say about redecorating, marketing, pricing, etc. You're going about it the right way.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:37 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,498,866 times
Thanks for the feedback.

A word about my neighborhood. It is a desirable, quiet area in a largely Jewish neighborhood in southern Brooklyn. It is an undesirable area for people who want to be near Manhattan, although people can and do commute from here. I've done the commute, but I will not do it anymore. It is a miserable commute, even by car.

A lot of Orthodox Jews are moving into the neighborhood and they tend to do a lot of remodeling. For one thing, they need a kosher kitchen, which has two sinks and cabinet space for meat and dairy dishes. They often have large families and/or entertain large groups. The houses on my block are not set up for that. But Orthodox Jews want to move in because there are synagogues, lots of other Jewish people and also kosher food sources fairly nearby . I was told they are not interested so much in the house, as in the property. I was warned that I would not get back any money I put into the house.

Yes, I was shown how the price was arrived at. The broker showed me comps, and explained why the prices have gone down in the area.

As for maketing, I was told I could have an exclusive listing or MLS. He also spoke about advertising in the newspapers. He didn't say anything about the internet, although I could ask him. Actually, the house hasn't depreciated too much since it was appraised a year and a half ago, only about by $22K. That's a lot of money, a year's salary for some people, but it isn't $100K.

I will not have a lock box, if by lockbox you mean a box with a key in it, so any agent can bring people into the house when I am not home. I am not comfortable with strangers entering my house without my being there. I have 5 cats and I don't want them terrified. More importantly, I don't want any doors or cabinets left open so that any or them can get trapped. And they cannot be allowed to go to the basement, because of poison that was put on the floor by a stupid exterminator. I can't possibly get it all out and it could be fatal to the cats, even though it was put down about 16 years ago. Big problem. And I have learned that people, even guests, are often not considerate when I leave instructions. Also, this is New York, and I don't want strangers in my house unless they are properly supervised.

If necessary, I can give my realtor-neighbor a key. If I have enough notice, I can put my cats in carriers and put them in a secluded place, even the car. If necessary, I can leave them at the vet's office.

Actually, I'm not completely sure what a lockbox is. I've been meaning to ask. Is it a box with a house key so that any agent can bring potential buyers to your house when you are not home?

What are the various types of marketing people do for a house, other than advertisements, MLS, open houses, etc? I need to be able to ask specific questions.

I am concerned that another agent will demand a 6% commission, because I would be nothing but a client, not a neighbor he/she has known for decades. I get a gut feeling that my neighbor and her broker are honest, but I also want aggressive service. But from what I have seen, houses seem to go fast on this block if they are priced correctly. The ones that linger on the market are the ones whose owners cling to the prices from the top of the real estate bubble.

If only I had sold a year ago. But I was not psychologically ready. Bummer.

If I wait, maybe the price will climb back up. But I don't want to put my life on hold while I wait for something that may not happen. Also, prices may go even lower. The economy is in trouble. I don't want to find myself with a house that is worth only half of what is worth now. And I can't recoup lost time. I want to be in Vermont, not Brooklyn. And I'm tired of maintaining a house that is no longer appropriate for my needs. I want to downsize.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:33 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,108,500 times
Lockbox: there are different types now.
Generally speaking a lockbox enables any agent to enter your home.

BUT, that is NOT carved in stone. Some agents who only do "accompanied showings" (they are present at every showing) also like to put a lockbox on your home, so they don't have to carry your housekey around, or go back to the office/home for the key if they happen to be on the road when somebody calls and asks to see your house.

If your top priority is to sell fast, you have to be willing to trust your neighbor/realtor a little and to do showings without you there. I demand accompanied showings (my preference) but I do not stay at home during the showing. Some buyers are really uncomfortable when the owner's around. You certainly don't want to turn off any buyers if you're on a fast track to selling. It's also in your interest to get the cats out of the house. A lot of people don't like pets or pet hair, or see pets and think "accidents" in the house, so the last thing you need is to let buyers see 5 cats. I'd also put away the toys, dishes, etc. You may not like the idea and I understand that, but I think the agents will back me up on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals