Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 09:28 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,664,016 times

Advertisements

I would hope that a felon is disqualified from being a real estate agent. A REA is a career that requires a great deal of trust from clients and there is a lot of room for a REA to take advantage of clients. Sorry if this seems unfair but people shoud consider the lifelong consequences of their actions before committing crimes. I wouldn't want a felon to represent me when I am buying or selling my home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 09:37 PM

816 posts, read 1,394,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
I would hope that a felon is disqualified from being a real estate agent. A REA is a career that requires a great deal of trust from clients and there is a lot of room for a REA to take advantage of clients. Sorry if this seems unfair but people shoud consider the lifelong consequences of their actions before committing crimes. I wouldn't want a felon to represent me when I am buying or selling my home.
LOL yea you're right.... maybe we should just ship all felons to some remote island away from the rest of society like lepers.

Afterall, all felons are just such terrible people who deserve nothing more than a minimum wage job, if they're even lucky enough to get that.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:54 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
The best option for the OP is to make inquiry to his state Realor Board. While I think it would be very difficult to get a Realtor license as a felon, I don't think anybody on this forum can offer an authoritative answer.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:58 PM

12 posts, read 10,267 times
You bet! here in Southern Nevada an ex-felon can be a real estate agent, don't know about your area though.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:13 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Not sure what the % is, but many drug related (Read BullSht) crimes are felonies. In CA I think there is a certain type of felony (Money related) that prevents a person from getting a license.

Agree with others who posted that the OP's idea of cost for the schools seems inflated.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:58 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,664,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
LOL yea you're right.... maybe we should just ship all felons to some remote island away from the rest of society like lepers.

Afterall, all felons are just such terrible people who deserve nothing more than a minimum wage job, if they're even lucky enough to get that.
you're right felons are all angels. If I'm a felon I'm gonna have a had time getting hired at Mc Donalds but yeah let's let them become real estate agents. I'm sorry but if you break the law there are consequences and some of those consequences might haunt you for life you should have made better choices. If we want to deter people from committing crimes then don't give them a slap on the wrist.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:40 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
A lot of teens/young adults do really stupid things while drunk, stoned, etc. I'm not sure that those things should necessarily haunt someone for the rest of their life, if they have otherwise cleaned up their act and moved on to making better choices in life. I mean Bill Gates has mug shots, one of which was for drunk driving. I think he has made better choices since his youth, no?

Old 08-26-2015, 12:01 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Aren't most of them.....if not legally, then certainly ethically?

Old 08-26-2015, 12:54 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post

No, but maybe they shouldn't be just handed a tool that allows them instant access to every listed property in town, as well as a database with photos showing which houses might be the most fruitful to rob.

Isn't that sort of like handing a cupcake to a hungry child and expecting them not to eat it? Maybe not the smartest idea in the world.

But I agree with those who said it should depend on what the felony was and how long ago. If you are 40 and have a felony for marijuana possession in college and got off on time served and probation and never got in trouble for anything else again, that is a little different than a hardened criminal who just finished serving 20 years in prison.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:58 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Aren't most of them.....if not legally, then certainly ethically?
No more so than for the rest of humanity. You could say the same about dozens of other professions and be no more or less correct. Agents are just people, with the same general proportions of good people and bad people, and honest people and dishonest people as most other professions.

Note: I am not an agent, but I have worked in a real estate office for 15 years. Not one of our agents was ever anyone I consider to be dishonest. A few have been fairly incompetent, but no one I ever felt wouldn't be honest with their clients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals