Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 05:13 PM
MJ3 MJ3 started this thread

17 posts, read 38,905 times

Advertisements

I bought a condohotel for 890K in Las Vegas and I went to cancel as described in the contract, well the developer said the contract cancellation provision was a mistake and would not allow it.

My question is this: Does the broker who represented me have any liability seeing he has never read nor seen the contract but was paid 18K commission already. I have learned recently that it is unheard of for a developer to give you a way out. I think had he read the contract once he would have seen this and questioned it. I read it and it thought it was my right to cancel.......any response is appreciated, TIA

Last edited by MJ3; 01-27-2008 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 08:36 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
How is he representing you if he never saw the contract?

If it is in the contract the developer can not just say it was a mistake.

Seems like more info is needed and better answered by someone out that way.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:31 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ3 View Post
I bought a condohotel for 890K in Las Vegas and I went to cancel as described in the contract, well the developer said the contract cancellation provision was a mistake and would not allow it.

My question is this: Does the broker who represented me have any liability seeing he has never read nor seen the contract but was paid 18K commission already. I have learned recently that it is unheard of for a developer to give you a way out. I think had he read the contract once he would have seen this and questioned it. I read it and it thought it was my right to cancel.......any response is appreciated, TIA
If its in the contract, and signed, it doesnt matter if its a mistake or not, you go by the contract. If the contract is not signed, then you have on contract at all.

Not sure how the broker could not see a contract and money changed hands. If you legally go through the steps to void the contract, which most likely entails certified leters being mailed to both the developer, and the agent, then the $18K in commissions would be returned.

Overall, hire a lawyer, and do it quick as to comply with any time limitations that might be present, and go by the contract. If it contains a cancellation clause, then the fact that it is contained is the developers problem, not yours.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:58 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,694 times
Quote:
well the developer said the contract cancellation provision was a mistake and would not allow it.
I'm sorry, I'm laughing...that is just so absurd. He can't just say, well, 'that was a mistake'. If he signed it, guess what? He's in contract and obligated to it. The fact he may have paid a commission in advance is his problem.
How could the broker have never seen or read the contract? What was his purpose in this whole thing? Never mind, it doesn't matter.
Go see an attorney and get it handled. But if this developer signed the contract and you are interpreting it correctly, he's plain old out of luck.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:10 PM

631 posts, read 2,445,994 times
This does not make sense to me just yet. I would think if there were a cancellation clause and you tried to initiate that, there would not have had time to close for the broker to already get paid.

So, did it work out you said you wanted to cancel and he said it was a mistake, time went on then it closed and he was paid?

Or is this very new and he got paid before the closing?

Something is very wrong here either way. If the contract says you can cancel, then you can cancel. Did the agent stand in your way of that and BS you until closing?

In some states if a developer is involved, they would mandate they give a 7 day cancel time regardless if they put it in their contracts or not. The information and disclosure probably was approved by a county or city authority, and they would have a list of specific criteria that the developer has to give to buyers including the rescission period. The county/city authority sees it then signs off on it.

If the agent never read the contract, this would come into incompetence & negligence and I've have to stop for more. So yes, the agent is fully in this with you now, closed or not, and especially if he were representing you. Yikes!

Never heard of such a thing. Was in the contract but wasn't supposed to be there? What the heck is that?Listen to pghquest and palmcoasting and call a lawyer asap.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:43 PM

Default I thank Everyone for their Response....this is my reply

I purchased a pre construction condo at Trump. So the Broker, Luxury Realty Group received 2% when I paid the 20% downpayment and stand to get 1% at closing. I tried to cancel as the contract stated but Trump's legal counsel said the contract was in error, calling it a scrbbner's error and I should have known better.

I asked my broker(Luxury Realtly Group) and he said he can be of no assistance because he has never even seen the contract.

He also told me last week he was offered the top sales job at Ttrump, I fell he should have disclosed this to me before I contracted to use his services.

Anyways I have hired 2 attorneys and will force Trump to abide by the terms of the contract.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:01 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:

Anyways I have hired 2 attorneys and will force Trump to abide by the terms of the contract.
And I am just not buying how it is your agent has never seen the contract.
Please call his office and speak with the Managing Broker.

Please let us know how this all turns out and the best of luck to you.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:09 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,785 times
Quote:
I purchased a pre construction condo at Trump. So the Broker, Luxury Realty Group received 2% when I paid the 20% downpayment and stand to get 1% at closing. I tried to cancel as the contract stated but Trump's legal counsel said the contract was in error, calling it a scrbbner's error and I should have known better.

I asked my broker(Luxury Realtly Group) and he said he can be of no assistance because he has never even seen the contract.

He also told me last week he was offered the top sales job at Ttrump, I fell he should have disclosed this to me before I contracted to use his services.

I guarantee you Mr. Trump would fight that : ) and if all signed, a contract is a contract. You, of course, would not have agreed to the contract without that clause in there.. so how would you have known that it was in error? Please Keep us posted, this should be interesting.

Shelly

Old 01-28-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
I guarantee you Mr. Trump would fight that : ) and if all signed, a contract is a contract. You, of course, would not have agreed to the contract without that clause in there.. so how would you have known that it was in error? Please Keep us posted, this should be interesting.

Shelly

Ecactly Shelly.......are there any Agents out there, if so is it mandatory to read the contract before your client signs it.....at least to make sure the client is buying want was represented......tia

Old 01-28-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
And I am just not buying how it is your agent has never seen the contract.
Please call his office and speak with the Managing Broker.

Please let us know how this all turns out and the best of luck to you.
He is the Broker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals