Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 03:01 PM

15,513 posts, read 40,248,020 times

Advertisements

Why do people think that super outgoing is somehow better?

I think the outgoing nature that you are admiring in the top producers is actually confidence. They are in their element at work. Whether or not that outgoing nature carries over to other areas, depends.

I am also a more reserved person, and prefer smaller groups. It hasn't impacted me at all in this profession. You have to be a people person in this profession, whether in large or small groups. If you are uncomfortable around people especially strangers, then that's a problem and this is not the profession for you.

Most people want to deal with real estate agents who are genuine and honest, knowledgeable, professional and hard working. If those characteristics define you, then you will do fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 03:35 PM

791 posts, read 2,951,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Why do people think that super outgoing is somehow better?

I think the outgoing nature that you are admiring in the top producers is actually confidence. They are in their element at work. Whether or not that outgoing nature carries over to other areas, depends.

I am also a more reserved person, and prefer smaller groups. It hasn't impacted me at all in this profession. You have to be a people person in this profession, whether in large or small groups. If you are uncomfortable around people especially strangers, then that's a problem and this is not the profession for you.

Most people want to deal with real estate agents who are genuine and honest, knowledgeable, professional and hard working. If those characteristics define you, then you will do fine.
I think you are right, I looked at the experienced agents and assumed because they could talk about business meant they could talk to anyone anywhere and that may not be the case.

You hit the nail on the head, it is about confidence and I know that is an area I am lacking in. I think it's because I am new and really feel lost, so that is probably more of my problem then being shy.

Your point about being comfortable around strangers is a hard one for me to answer for myself, for me it's just depends on the person. Although I have found that in most circumstances I can make conversation with anyone. In my past job (Escrow) I dealt with a lot of personalities and had to try and make everyone happy, the only difference was it was all over the phone which is so easy for me, it's in person that makes me nervous.

Thanks for your input.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:08 PM

70 posts, read 299,986 times
Be yourself, but you do need to be able to make the first move when initiating contact with other people. The good thing is that the longer you do it, the better you become. If you are shy, you may need to step outside of your comfort zone to form new relationships with people. Don't be pushy though.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:39 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,537,080 times
redwhiteblue: Just be yourself. No one now believes me when I tell them that I am a shy and introverted person. It took me quite some time to be able to 'do' this business. My background as an accountant meant that I never had to 'deal' with people. Just put my nose into a set of books and occasionally talk on the telephone was good enough for me.

May have a split personality going on here tho' because I had a few jobs as a waitress during my teen years and between bookkeeping/accounting jobs. Can't be too shy in that field. During the many years as a Realtor I have owned a franchise for a number of years, was President of our local Board of Realtors and served on many committees. All of which required standing up and speaking before crowds.

Talk about frightening...scared out of my wits on some occasions. One on one, so to speak with buyers and sellers is just fine. Just enjoy and if there is something you don't know, alway tell the client, I'm not sure about that issue, let me check and I'll get back with you. Never, ever, try to bluff your way through anything. 'They' will see through you and then you'll be sorry. Find a mentor in the company if possible. Good Luck to you and keep us posted.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:53 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,737,330 times
One thing that can really help you is to join a Toastmasters club. Their mission is to help each other learn to communicate effectively in an organized social setting. You will meet a lot of people, which is what you need to do anyway, and you will learn.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:10 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,012,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek ATX View Post
The key is to be yourself. If you try to "act" outgoing and you classically are not, then people will be able to see through you.

I've trained salespeople (successful ones - this is absolutely rule number 1.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:14 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,377,702 times
captain Bill is already one of my favorites, need to meet sometime. All the advise is great, from everyone, and about all I can add, is be yourself, and attend the settings you feel best with. I like many, have never met a stranger, and do some networking with several who are gifted, and please realize, it takes all kinds of personalities, to be successful, and lots of folks are attracked after there own kind. You do not have to be the life of the party, and once you establish your client base, people appreciate you for being you. Theres no magic in selling, its just being the prepared vessel, and knowing your stuff, and once your clients believe in you, you will be contagious.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:29 PM

6,330 posts, read 18,004,062 times
Quote:
Do you think that to be successful you need to be an outgoing and social person?
No. You need only to be able to generate leads and then convert those leads into closed deals.

You're not in the real estate business, you're in the lead generation business. Don't ever think that you have any other primary purpose than to generate leads. People fail at real estate because they don't understand this. And yes, you must be competent and able too, but a mediocre disorganized agent who is a relentless lead generator will out produce a well organized highly competent agent who doesn't understand his true purpose, and therefore doesn't have enough business.

There are lead generation methods that suit all personality types, including yours. Use the methods that best leverage your particular assets and skills with regard to communicating.

Remember, you either Network, Prospect or Advertise. Those are the only three ways of getting leads, though each have many subsets of activities. You should do all three, but focus most on the one at which you will be most productive.

If you're good on the phone, figure out how to get buyers and sellers on the other end of the phone with you. If you possess an engaging personality and connect easily with people in person, you might knock doors or hold open houses in high traffic listings so you can talk with prospective clients one on one. If you're shy but write well, you might leverage that by blogging or mass mailing personal letters.

Your Broker should be training you and explaining all of this, and helping you establish goals and benchmarks for the number of "touches" you'll need to generate your desired number of leads.

Steve

Old 02-01-2008, 07:06 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,737,330 times
I like Steve's statement that you're in the lead generation business. It's so true. If you haven't gotten it already, buy Gary Keller's Millionaire Real Estate Agent. It has a lead generation system which has you prepare a business plan and work it through. You're constantly generating leads.

It's been said before that when you talk to other people you need to learn about them and do something to help them. When they need your services or know someone who needs them they will refer the person who has been helpful to them, and whom they know will do a good job.

Here's an example from what happened to me last evening- a True Story: I recently joined the local Chamber, and since I know that you have to give something to get something back, I volunteered for the Ambassadors Committee. We do ribbon cuttings, and at mixers we have our blue badge on which identifies us as Ambassadors and one of our functions is to make new people feel welcome by talking to them and introducing them to others.

I don't function well at cocktail parties or mixers. I'm much more comfortable with a few friends. However, with this Ambassador duty, it forces me to walk up to people and get to know them and make them comfortable.

When I was an airline pilot for Pan Am, it was very easy for me to walk through the cabin (during my break on long international flights, and a relief pilot was in myseat) and talk to people, because I was in my element and could answer questions they had. This was like being with a close group of friends because these people were trusting me to get them to their destination safely and on time.

Back at the mixer meeting last night, I saw one new member walk up to three people who were in a conversation. He said: (this is almost verbatim)

Hi, I'm "Ivan, your Terrible Realtor" (my name for him) and I can save you 75% when you buy a home. That's right I'll get you back 75%; and if you're selling I'll put your home on the mls for only $250 dollars -- as he passed his cards to the three people, and then walked away.

What do you think those three people will do with his cards?
  • First he interruped a conversation without standing there to get the drift of the conversation and then join in at the proper time.
  • Second he showed that he didn't care about them.
  • Third he came on like a very high pressure salesman.
This mixer was at a coffee house, and I really liked the decor.

I went over to thank the owner for sponsoring the mixer, and he began telling me about their coffee and how it stands apart from the competition because of it's freshness; and I began complimenting him on his choice of jazz artist paintings, and the wall colors and soft comfortable lounge chairs. I'm a jazz and blues buff and found out he is a jazz and blues fan, so we talked about that for a few minutes.

Then he told me that he was recently transplanted from WI and opened this franchise cold without knowing anyone in the area. Knowing a lot of people helps when you open a new business because they will help support you. He didn't have that support and it's taking him a little longer to hit break even.

He said he had moved down here and rented a home that's about 25 minutes away from work, and that hurts when he has to run down to take care of an emergency, which he said happens often. He said after he gets the business to where it pays the bills he'll buy a house closer.

That was my cue. I live 5 minutes from his shop. I had already told him that I would be visiting his shop often because I have some clients that I take to coffee and I really like the atmosphere here. Also, the coffee was excellent. I asked if he had looked at Val Vista Lakes, and he said he had not been in the club house but had driven through the area; and he likes to fish.

So I told him I would invite him to my home and take him on my boat so he could see the water front homes from the water side, and take him through the club house. That way he can get much more information on whether this would be the area for him. When I take clients through the club house I usually take them up and introduce them to our manager and some of the staff.

So now I ask you, which was the better approach?
  • The fast talking, conversation interrupter, card passing discounter---
  • or sincerely learning about a person and taking interest in their business, and offering to bring business to him, without any knowledge that this was going to turn into a lead.
So as you've been advised by many here; be yourself and take a genuine interest in people and learn about them. Do something for them, and they will do something for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals