Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 01:04 PM

45 posts, read 70,953 times

Advertisements

I know that you are not allowed to directly advertise (I mean in your post like "Hey I'm a Realtor call me 123-555-5555") but you are allowed to do certain things like answer questions, create blog posts, etc.

Can you have a signature line with your info in it as long as you are not directly asking for a call?

I've seen some agents just use their real name as their username..

Is there a thread that says what is allowed and what is forbidden?

Also has anyone used City-Data as a lead source? Meaning you answer lots of questions with thoughtful, value-added responses and received clients from it or is that a long shot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 01:21 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rltrdc View Post
I know that you are not allowed to directly advertise (I mean in your post like "Hey I'm a Realtor call me 123-555-5555") but you are allowed to do certain things like answer questions, create blog posts, etc.

Can you have a signature line with your info in it as long as you are not directly asking for a call?

I've seen some agents just use their real name as their username..

Is there a thread that says what is allowed and what is forbidden?

Also has anyone used City-Data as a lead source? Meaning you answer lots of questions with thoughtful, value-added responses and received clients from it or is that a long shot?

No solicitation of business. You will be tossed.
Answer questions, and be a member of the community.
Always use your real name, IMO. I do everywhere I go.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:28 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Like just about every internet forum out there, City-Data has a TOS (Terms of Service). You can find it here. Read it to find out what you can and cannot do. Soliciting in any way, shape or form is absolutely forbidden.

Here's one pertinent paragraph (out of many), and trust me, they mean it.

"Real Estate Agents and other businesses will not advertise their services nor solicit business in their posts. Create a free business profile by going to http://www.city-data.com/profiles/add and fill out your forum profile instead. Do not include links to your websites, MLS listings, etc. in your posts. Do not try to push the envelope by attempting to hide your intentions. Do not solicit business by DMs. Show your knowledge about the area and help people and you will get leads naturally. Real estate agents should join the usergroup for them here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/profi...editusergroups. It will set your user title and add an icon next to your name, so you will get free advertising with your posts."

C-D being as strict as they are on this is one reason for the success of the forum.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:22 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
No signatures in your post. I do not use my real name as my screen name, but it's in my profile. I use my neighborhood name so when I answer questions in my area, they know I live here and should have accurate information.

And yes, I've received many clients from people contacting me out of the blue asking for help in the area. It's not really "bonus" business because I'm spending time here to answer questions and time is money, so I'm technically spending marketing money to market myself and my knowledge here.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:19 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
And we non-realtors appreciate all three of you (as well as a few others who are professional Realtors). Thank you.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:44 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rltrdc View Post
What happens to you depends on what you give into the community. It really is that simple. If you give thoughtful, reasoned responses you will be paid back for your time spent. If you regurgitate a sales pitch or sound like a NAR commercial, then you'll get eaten alive by the consumer crew on here. So whether or not it is a long shot depends on how you decide to interact on here.

On a side note, everyone picks on MikeJ.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:52 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post

On a side note, everyone picks on MikeJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYIKw91sAWE

Old 11-06-2015, 07:15 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
I got my hand slapped a couple of times after I first joined C-D. Good times!

Old 11-06-2015, 07:39 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
I originally discovered City Data because I noticed traffic to my blog coming from here. When I checked, one of my clients, unbeknownst to me, had given me a glowing recommendation with a link to my blog in his post. He is now deceased but the post lives on and I continue to get traffic and clients from that one mention.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:54 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
If you want to read the complete Terms of Service, click on the signature of most moderators. You can click on the TOS in my signature if you'd like to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals