Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 12:28 PM

84 posts, read 354,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Just curious if you've even ASKED for help from your new broker. Waiting for things to happen is not a good trait in a real estate agent. I think one has to taken decisive action to succeed in this business.
yes, actually did. Matter of fact, someone approached me about information on rental homes in a city near Austin. So I saw a good opportunity to build a relationship and help them find a rental home. In the back of head, I was thinking that it wouldn't bad to build a good relationship so that in the future when they decide to buy a house they would think about contacting me.

Being that I'm not a board member yet (as I stated before, I have asked my broker several times for information about how to join the board even since before I got my license sent to her. Yet she hasn't gotten back to me. So I went to look up online, but no success.), she told me she would look up the properties for me. Then I sent an e-mail asked her for any tips of how to talk to them without scaring them away. My e-mail was yet to be replied until today. So I called her and asked to see whether I could stop by to talk to her, but she was unavailable. Since I had promised the couple to give them a call that day, I went ahead and call them without my broker's tips on what to say. I gave the couple a couple of days until I followed up. (no, that was not my broker's advice. It was something I thought I should do) Anyhow, I sent my broker an e-mail to ask for her advice. All she said as a reply was: 'good job!' I seriously do not know what to make out of this. My messages in all e-mail have all been straight to the point, and never beat around the bush. I had tried to to talk to her in person, but then she always seemed to be preoccupied and to be honest, I felt intimidated to ask her any questions since she didn't seem to welcome those. That was why I opted for e-mail. But those were also ignored.

I'm not the type who would wait around for an opportunity to come to around. Otherwise, I wouldn't have started this thread and asked for what to do as a next step. I would still wait and think that my broker would come around. I want to take action so I could reach my goal. Waiting around has never been my type. I'm pretty self-efficient as long as someone could give me some helping hands. I don't ask much, just enough so I could know in what direction I'm heading. So yes, to answer your questions I have asked for her advice.

-I've also spoken to one of the brokers at the office. Even she recommended me to change the broker.

-I've been trying to talk to the top-producer and ask if I could come along with her at one of her listing presentation. She didn't give me any answers.

Captain Bill, thank you very much for your advice on what to say.
As far as me setting my goal, I'm a realistic person and I know that in order for me to succeed in this business, I have to work hard to get there. And I realize that my first step is to gather knowledge to advance to the next level. yes, you are right, I need some training and a mentor.

Last edited by KanniJay; 02-01-2008 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 12:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,246,738 times
Well good for you then! I'd run as fast as possible away from your current situation and follow the very good advice you've been given by others.

I made a mis-step in my first real estate job and moved somewhere else. You will survive

Old 02-01-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Well good for you then! I'd run as fast as possible away from your current situation and follow the very good advice you've been given by others.

I made a mis-step in my first real estate job and moved somewhere else. You will survive
thank you, DMenscha! I hope I will survive as you said.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:46 PM

57 posts, read 244,938 times
I think I would find another firm asap. Sounds like you have a broker that's not interested in helping out new agents. I work with a large franchise company as an independant contractor and I still take the time to help new agents and answer questions. I know what it's like to be the new guy and not knowing anything except what you learned in real estate school. There's plenty of good companies to work for out there, don't waste your time dealing with unconcerned brokers. Good luck

Old 02-02-2008, 09:54 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,985,067 times
You've received some wonderful advice here, and I concur. Not all Broker's are suited to mentoring new Agents. Find someone who is. S/he should have a successful history of mentoring. It's OK to ask around.
Another approach with your Broker may be: "It may be better for me to work with someone who is not so familiar with me". Sometimes, familiarity with you or your family can make the relationship more difficult for both of you.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:18 PM

3 posts, read 7,769 times
KanniJay,

Your expectations are not too high! A good Broker has every reason to train/help new agents. As all the others suggested, start looking now for "your" new home! Interview other Brokers and companies. A great idea is to talk with other agents (they were all at one time in your shoes). A great place to meet them is to visit as many open houses as you can. You will not only get the opportunity to meet many future "industry friends" but you will get a good feel for personalities of other agents in different offices. The agents will be able to give you their personal experience (in addition to what the Brokers you talk to promise). Good Luck and you'll make it. I look forward to reading an update on your progress.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:51 PM

Again, thank you, guys for your great advice. It sure was very helpful and motivating.

StephSTL, thank you for your interest. I will definitely post my progress on here. ...good or bad....

Old 02-03-2008, 08:50 AM

26 posts, read 102,415 times
I agree you should interview other Brokers very soon. Develop some questions based on your current experience. While it's important to not burn bridges, don't be afraid to tell your current Broker how it is. Be honest and up-front.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:16 PM

11 posts, read 34,463 times
Default New agent experience

Go to as many open houses as you can. They offer a casual setting, and you can get a sense from other real estate agents attending what their particular offices offer and pick up on some insightful "clues." Open houses are for any interested party, so you should feel welcomed. Make note if you feel intimidated by any particular agent attending and find out which office they're with. You may want to avoid that one. That way you can source out which broker offices may appeal to you before you sit down for an interview.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:39 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,776,219 times
KanniJay -

Here's advice I wish I'd been given when I was in your position 19 years ago:

Please consider getting JOB as an assistant to a busy Realtor. It may not seem as exciting as trying to establish yourself, but in my opinion it's a much quicker way to your eventual goal.

Busy established Realtors can't be in several places at once, so they either end up frazzled and unable to make the time to serve thier clients and customers...or hiring people to assist them. That agent in your town who runs a full page ad with her listing inventory and a full length photo of herself every Sunday in the paper...she can't be in 6 places at once. So she eventually hires licensed assistants to do various things. She pays them, and offers incentives too. Here's the cool part - those people are getting paid to learn to do a better CMA, learn how to show property properly, learn to use the transaction management, MLS, database, desktop publishing, and contact management software which the busy agent just can't run on her own all at once.

You can look for somebody to work for, while you're taking the other steps I might suggest. For instance, I'd go visit your local Board Of Realtors office in person, and ask when the next MLS indoctrination class is being offered. I'd go take the classes you'll need to keep your license the next time you're up for renewal. And I'd spend a significant number of hours each day telephoning friends and aquaintances just to say hello, and practice my listening skills. Then update your name and address database or contact management software. I'd also become a whiz, taking classes, at your MLS software. Read the training manuals and set yourself up for automatic email notification of new listings.

Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals