Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 11:00 AM

56 posts, read 183,448 times

Advertisements

I must say that I have questioned the necessity of a realtor: buyer/seller in the past. But after my latest experience I do not. My realtor is the bomb!

We went to our future home's inspection last week. After 2 hrs the homeowner/wife came home with her 3 kids!!! She plopped herself right in the kitchen, where I sat reading a book while the inspector did his thing. My kids were with me and she came in, surveyed the house, slammed doors, put things back the way they were for her and said that she stayed out as long as she could but her kids were hungry and she needed to come home. she began to cook-while the dish washer and other appliances were running it's course for the inspection.Feed HER kids while mine=thankfully looked helplessly at the food but didnt beg for anything, phew!

I was so uncomfortable as she went on to complain about the low selling price and how all the upgrades on the home are worthless bc of the depreciation in the market. whine whine whine. Then she asked me why I had to ask for things like curtains bc they match her pictures so perfectly. She told my sun that one of the tv's that is to stay attached to the house is going(not in the contract) and intrude in the inspectors inspection findings asking my husband if we could take care of that.

I have NEVER been SO uncomfortable in all of my life. We called our realtor and made sure he called the seller's realtor and reinforce that ANY changes be confirmed in an addendum-verbal means NOTHING. He agreed and was outraged. He was there for the first half of the inspection; but, had another appt...that's when she cornered us!

After this experience I truely value the presence of a 3rd party arbitrator as my realtor..and would have it no other way. The thought of dealing head to head with FSBO and this type of seller is a nightmare.

Thanks for what you all do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 11:11 AM

126 posts, read 594,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheleski68 View Post
I must say that I have questioned the necessity of a realtor: buyer/seller in the past. But after my latest experience I do not. My realtor is the bomb!......

He was there for the first half of the inspection; but, had another appt...that's when she cornered us!

After this experience I truely value the presence of a 3rd party arbitrator as my realtor..and would have it no other way. The thought of dealing head to head with FSBO and this type of seller is a nightmare.

It is a shame he had to leave, a bigger shame that the seller took advantange of that and cornered you.

I try to recommend to my sellers that they leave during the HBI, and let me handle what they are paying me for. But it is still their home to do as they please. There is sometimes emotion or bitterness involved that the buyer shouldn't have to deal with.

The additions and addendums in writing are a must. It is becoming rare in my market for even buyers and sellers to meet FTF at the closing table. I guess mainly because of the he-said-she-said stuff.

Thanks for the kudos to a Realtor.

-Mark

Old 02-02-2008, 07:20 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,818,340 times
I don't leave my buyers alone during an inspection. I'm sure your agent must have had something very pressing to have had to be absent. I also don't do the inspection without my clients (unless absolutely necessary)... I feel that there is too much that can be missed and it is important for the buyer to be present during their inspection.

In all the inspections that I have been present for, I have never had anything approaching that experience. I am sorry it happened.

shelly

Old 02-03-2008, 07:38 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,874,703 times
Really? Most of my buyers aren't at the inspection. It's rare for the seller to be there either. Then again, a lot of the homes are vacant to begin with.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:56 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,581,424 times
Most buyers don't come to the inspections down here in GA, at least not in our area. You being present at inspection would not be the norm in our area. What point does it serve by being present during the inspection?

However, you being there, alone, without your agent, is worrisome. I would never agree to let a buyer stay at my home, unattended. If I were the seller, I'd be furious with your realtor for allowing that to happen.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:42 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,731,435 times
As the buyers agent, I would want to be there during the inspection. I would stay out of the way, but be available if s/he wants to point out anything to me.

I would ask the buyer to show up at the time the inspection is scheduled to be completed. Then the inspector can read us the summary report and physically show us any items of concern. That way they will know first hand whether they should ask for some or all of the items to be corrected.

Since the buyer is the inspector's client, the inspectors need the permission of the buyer to discuss any part of the inspection with the seller or seller's agent.

The full report will go to the buyer and buyers agent, and the agent will provide a copy of report to the sellers agent with the BINSR.

If the buyer agrees, the report can go to the seller's agent directly from the inspector.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:59 AM

I have personally attended every HBI, in it's entirety, ever scheduled by one of my buyers or at one of my sellers homes - And I insist that the my buyers attend unless it is impossible for them. I would not say that this is the norm in my area but it should be. I am there with a digital camera in hand, and a video camera in the car.

I had a transaction last year where one of the two co-listing agents opened her listing's door and let me, the home inspector, and my buyer in and then left. The seller was not home. She said "call me when you are thru". Suprise, neither listing agent was present for the appraisal and termite moisure insp., which both had problems.

This is a classic discounting commission situation, compounded by two co-listing agents splitting the agent share of 2%. Fortunately was able to keep it together and earn my 3%.

-Mark

Last edited by Mark Sr.; 02-03-2008 at 10:23 AM..

Old 02-03-2008, 11:09 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,581,424 times
Wow, I guess it goes to show things are certainly done differently in different corners of the world. Buyers are never present for home inspections here (their agents may be, but even that is unusual...)

However, the buyer's agent that left their buyer at someone else's home alone is inexcusable. I'm sure one can understand the liability in that....

Old 02-03-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
Wow, I guess it goes to show things are certainly done differently in different corners of the world. Buyers are never present for home inspections here (their agents may be, but even that is unusual...)

However, the buyer's agent that left their buyer at someone else's home alone is inexcusable. I'm sure one can understand the liability in that....
Are we talking about Home Buyer's Inspections? Why would any buyer (or their buyer's agent) not want to be present with the home inspector at the inspection they are paying a few hundred dollars for? The contract is typically contingent on this inspection and a deal always has the potential to fall apart here.

Does the home inspector in your area accept any liability whatsoever, if he or she misses something?

I agree it is very a bad idea in this day and age for a buyer and seller to be face to face in the sellers house with neither of their agents around.

-Mark

Old 02-03-2008, 12:45 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,873,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheleski68 View Post
I must say that I have questioned the necessity of a realtor: buyer/seller in the past. But after my latest experience I do not. My realtor is the bomb!

We went to our future home's inspection last week. After 2 hrs the homeowner/wife came home with her 3 kids!!! She plopped herself right in the kitchen, where I sat reading a book while the inspector did his thing. My kids were with me and she came in, surveyed the house, slammed doors, put things back the way they were for her and said that she stayed out as long as she could but her kids were hungry and she needed to come home. she began to cook-while the dish washer and other appliances were running it's course for the inspection.Feed HER kids while mine=thankfully looked helplessly at the food but didnt beg for anything, phew!

I was so uncomfortable as she went on to complain about the low selling price and how all the upgrades on the home are worthless bc of the depreciation in the market. whine whine whine. Then she asked me why I had to ask for things like curtains bc they match her pictures so perfectly. She told my sun that one of the tv's that is to stay attached to the house is going(not in the contract) and intrude in the inspectors inspection findings asking my husband if we could take care of that.

I have NEVER been SO uncomfortable in all of my life. We called our realtor and made sure he called the seller's realtor and reinforce that ANY changes be confirmed in an addendum-verbal means NOTHING. He agreed and was outraged. He was there for the first half of the inspection; but, had another appt...that's when she cornered us!

You asked for "curtains" as part of the sales agreement? Sorry, that one stood out..

As for the rest, I have never showed up for an inspection, and if I did, I would insist on the seller not being present. Rarely are they present when looking at homes, I dont think asking them to disappear for a couple hours is unreasonable.

I pay the inspector to do his job, and dont need to be present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals