Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 06:17 PM

237 posts, read 964,622 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was interviewing a real estate agent and she told me she does not put on a lock box. She comes with the buyers agent to show the house because she is more knowlegable about my house. I never heard of such a thing and Im afraid that will turn off buyers agents. Did you as a real estate agent ever do this or deal with a house you where showing and the listing agent wanted to come along. Thanks Mindy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 06:43 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,141,127 times
I personally don't like the listing agent present when I'm with buyers at a house showing. Additionally, you have the potential to lose potential buyers if they want to see your house at a time that is not convenient for the listing agent to be there. The only exception I have to this is if the seller requires that their listing agent be present at all showings. This is not unusual on multi-million dollar houses but doesn't usually happen with most houses.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:21 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,724,071 times
It will be up to you to decide if you want a lock box on your home. There should be a check box on the listing agreement that you check to either authorize a lock box or to deny authorization. Your agent may not be available everytime a buyer wants to see your home, so the home wouldn't be seen.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:40 PM

79 posts, read 417,297 times
That sounds wierd to me...I certainly know I wouldn't want to work around another agents schedule...I'll show my buyer the other 400 properties for sale.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:54 PM

126 posts, read 594,058 times
I personally think that the lockbox (and its MLS) is by far the most important tool when it comes to selling a house.

-Mark

Old 02-04-2008, 08:40 PM

511 posts, read 1,517,008 times
I agree with the lockbox. You have to show when it is convenient for the buyer. In SC you can register your lockbox so that you are notified when an agent has entered the property. I would suggest that they make an appointment and you would know when it is being shown. Good Luck!!

Old 02-04-2008, 09:24 PM

610 posts, read 2,718,370 times
I agree with all that has been said. I know that when I make showing appointments I give an hour window. Is your agent going to sit there for an hour waiting for me to show up? Plus, many buyers might feel uncomfortable with the listing agent there, a bit too formal. It is totally up to you as the seller whether a lockbox goes on the door but I think having one will be more of a positive feature than a negative. Your agent can always do a detailed follow up call to the buyer's agent with the specifics on your home and try to work his/her magic that way. Good luck to you.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:38 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,871,515 times
It's up to the seller's listing with me if they want a lockbox or not. And they can specifically request the mls box that registers any agents using the box or they can request a generic box that will allow agents from out of town to use it. It's up to the seller.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:28 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,223,536 times
Have both!

I like to help other agents show my listings because Next to the seller, I know more about it than anyone else. If the buyers agent doesn't want me around, that's fine. I usually just make myself available and trail behind or hang out on site if any questions come up. If the buyers agent wants me to do the presentation, that's fine too.

I consider this a part of the full service I offer my sellers

Old 02-05-2008, 12:45 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,448,175 times
Lock boxes are the standard in my area. The exceptions are usually high end homes or owners who prefer business be conducted the way it used to happen.

Agents tend to by-pass those average priced listings that require an agent accompany in my area because both sides are pumping the other for motivation.

If it is not common in your area, I would avoid it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals