U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2016, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Needham, MA
6,483 posts, read 9,665,293 times
Reputation: 5495

Advertisements

Like some of you, I'm a member of a number of real estate agent oriented Facebook pages. Well, today on a relatively new page the moderator recommended to all 3500 members of the group to join City-Data. She stated it was the primary source of a lot of her business. She gave tips like "don't advertise your services or you'll immediately be banned." She also gave tips about how to use the site to prospect for new clients without actually looking like you're prospecting. So, I'm expecting a large number of agents to join the site looking to pick up new clients.

It's unfortunate because we have a pretty good collection of agents on this site most of whom just want to be helpful. They're not here to prospect. So now (at least until they give up) we'll have a bunch of agents here trolling for clients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2016, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
33,655 posts, read 58,387,489 times
Reputation: 32382
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Like some of you, I'm a member of a number of real estate agent oriented Facebook pages. Well, today on a relatively new page the moderator recommended to all 3500 members of the group to join City-Data. She stated it was the primary source of a lot of her business. She gave tips like "don't advertise your services or you'll immediately be banned." She also gave tips about how to use the site to prospect for new clients without actually looking like you're prospecting. So, I'm expecting a large number of agents to join the site looking to pick up new clients.

It's unfortunate because we have a pretty good collection of agents on this site most of whom just want to be helpful. They're not here to prospect. So now (at least until they give up) we'll have a bunch of agents here trolling for clients.
99% of agents cannot help people without flagrant self-promotion.
So, of that 3500, I welcome the 3 dozen who may stick around and offer value to conversation. I learn a lot here, vs. FB where Old School agent-centric agency reigns.
Have you ever seen the "Raise The Bar in Real Estate" group?
1999 all over again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2016, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Just south of Denver since 1989
10,913 posts, read 29,411,953 times
Reputation: 7144
Do you know her handle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2016, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Needham, MA
6,483 posts, read 9,665,293 times
Reputation: 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
99% of agents cannot help people without flagrant self-promotion.
So, of that 3500, I welcome the 3 dozen who may stick around and offer value to conversation. I learn a lot here, vs. FB where Old School agent-centric agency reigns.
Have you ever seen the "Raise The Bar in Real Estate" group?
1999 all over again.
I don't think those guys know where the bar is! As you say, we'll probably pick up a few contributing members out of this. It's just going to be a little painful for a while as the unhelpful people are weeded out. I just took offense to the fact that the site was presented as a place to prospect which will likely attract the wrong type of person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2016, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
33,655 posts, read 58,387,489 times
Reputation: 32382
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I don't think those guys know where the bar is! As you say, we'll probably pick up a few contributing members out of this. It's just going to be a little painful for a while as the unhelpful people are weeded out. I just took offense to the fact that the site was presented as a place to prospect which will likely attract the wrong type of person.


RTB: I like to post to the whiners that they can RTB the most by going to work on the mirror, daily, first thing in the morning.
Many don't grasp that. They want everyone else to step up their game, without actually "Raising The Bar" themselves.


Weeding out, "painful?" Nah. Picking out the idiots is as much fun as shooting skeet.
I feel for the mods, if there is a swarm. They work really hard with repeat offenders, and it has to be frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2016, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Just south of Denver since 1989
10,913 posts, read 29,411,953 times
Reputation: 7144
Found it! SoFLGal

She does give some good tips on what to post.

She does say not to solicit.

I once went to a state realtor convention where the opening speaker showed City-data and most specifically shown the spotlight on poster George Chong.

I was a little concerned that my little playground was soon to be overrun. Not much happened. REP's come and go on the Denver forum, mostly go.

Sometimes I get weird email and/or text messages from c-d posters. I try to find the humor there. I will continue to help those that ask. I have even closed a few referrals from cd posters.

It's addictive. My name is Annalisa, I have been a member of C_D since June of 2006, I read & post during my between time, or my waiting time, or while drinking coffee, I have been in real estate since 1983 (property manager) and licensed in Colorado since 1989....

Last edited by 2bindenver; 01-02-2016 at 10:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2016, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Needham, MA
6,483 posts, read 9,665,293 times
Reputation: 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Do you know her handle?
I don't think it's fair to call someone out on the open forums. She's currently running a mini workshop on how to prospect on CD without appearing to be prospecting. The Facebook group is Real Estate - Out of the Box Owl. FYI, she doesn't ever post in this section of the forum. Probably because posting here doesn't get you clients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2016, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Needham, MA
6,483 posts, read 9,665,293 times
Reputation: 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
RTB: I like to post to the whiners that they can RTB the most by going to work on the mirror, daily, first thing in the morning.
Many don't grasp that. They want everyone else to step up their game, without actually "Raising The Bar" themselves.


Weeding out, "painful?" Nah. Picking out the idiots is as much fun as shooting skeet.
I feel for the mods, if there is a swarm. They work really hard with repeat offenders, and it has to be frustrating.
It just strikes me that this will be similar to a bunch of spammers showing up all at once.

As I said, those raise the bar people don't even know where the bar is. If I see one more post in that Facebook group about "my client is out of town and wants me to make sure his house is secure after showings but I don't want to do it" I'm going to puke. Why is this even a question? Just do it.

My second favorite is "a buyer called me directly, but they have an agent. The agent had a death in the family and is out of town and the buyer wants me to show them the property. Should I do it?" Yes! Your job is to sell the property dummy not whine and cry about how the other agent is unavailable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2016, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Just south of Denver since 1989
10,913 posts, read 29,411,953 times
Reputation: 7144
I am a member of a few of those groups. I have seen 4 in my feed so far. It's not just that one.

It's a public forum. She discloses her username in her posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2016, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Needham, MA
6,483 posts, read 9,665,293 times
Reputation: 5495
Here's a funny story. My wife used to teach in the freshman writing program at Harvard. One of the assignments she gave involved researching using vatious sources (i.e. books, periodicals, the internet, etc.) the topic of the paper ended up being real estate related. One student raised his hand in class and asked how to appropriately cite something he found on the internet. He wanted to know if MikePRU was an appropriate source for his paper.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
She does day not to solicit.
She does say that, but it's more in the vein of don't advertise or you'll be thrown out before you can scare up any clients. Not, don't advertise because this isn't a place to prospect. It's a place to help people.

Last edited by MikePRU; 01-02-2016 at 10:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top