Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 01:20 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,844,179 times

Advertisements

First time home buyers, relocation YOUNG couple, very very nice. I took them everywhere - and I mean everywhere!!! I found them a GREAT deal on the perfect home, they loved it. put in a verbal, (which was my first mistake) and then they dropped the ball. They thought I was too pushy for them - I guess they didnt understand the timeframe when putting in an offer to actually signing contracts and such. Actually, it didnt bother me if they wouldnt have purchased the house at all, I would have showed them 50 more, but they thought I was pressuring them to buy. What I was doing was trying to get them to understand the urgency of getting the formal papers signed etc etc. I have to say, I will NEVER do a verbal offer again and have my repuation on the line. Interestingly enough, someone did buy that house for the same amount the same day I called the listing agent and told them that my buyers weren't buying~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a good lesson learned here by ME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 01:22 PM

170 posts, read 475,907 times
I hear Real estate is a pain in the ass. Dunno how you do it bro.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthySailor View Post
I hear Real estate is a pain in the ass. Dunno how you do it bro.
You know what??? Generally people are really really great!!!!!!! I love showing them houses and taking them around and getting to know them, I just wish they would understand this is not a towel that can be returned lol

Old 02-05-2008, 01:45 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,726,354 times
It's a good lesson, and I agree that an offer should never be verbal because it doesn't mean anything. However, even if they had put in a written offer, they could back out before it was accepted, or they could have backed out when a counter offer came back.

As part of the lesson you learned, because you did get fired, do you think you may have been a little too pushy?

I've always been a firm believer in "constructive criticism" for educational purposes, and believe me, I've been on the receiving end many times and learned from each one. So I'm going to offer some constructive critique and hope you accept it in the good faith that it is meant to be.

First time home buyers probably need to be treated with a little more sensitivity than the move up and 2nd residence buyers. It is a huge investment for them, and in all likelyhood it will be stretching their budget.

There are certain types of sellers that also need that same sensitivity, and that is a seller that has to sell because of the death of a spouse, or some other drastic situation.

An agent must be extremely sensitive in these cases, and make sure to give the client time to make a decision that they're comfortable with.

Perhaps, just perhaps, (I'm not saying that I know what happened) they liked the home and you got them to make the verbal offer prior to them sitting down with the contract and having you explain it to them. I believe you were in a bit of a hurry when you elected to give the verbal offer.

So when it came time to deal with the contract they became hesitant, which can be a part of buyers remorse. They had their remorse after the verbal offer.

Perhaps, just perhaps, had you sat them down early and gone through the entire contract paragraph by paragraph, and then told them to sleep on it before committing themselves to an offer, they would not have felt like they were under pressure, nor would they have thought you were too pushy. They may have appreciated that you understood their situation and are willing to give them breathing room. They may have then proceded with the offer. Even if they didn't get this house, they would have the confidence in you that you were sensitive their situation and would not have fired you.

As someone pointed out recently, we should think of ourselves as counselors and not sales people. We do not want our clients to buy a property that we know will be a problem for them, or buy one when they're unsure if they should; or to sell a property and regret in later. We need to know what's in their mind and help them make the right decision.

I admire your courage in telling us that you were fired, and putting yourself on the hot seat by explaining the situation. It shows that you are concerned and want to learn more. It will help you grow as a realtor.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:45 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,850,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
First time home buyers, relocation YOUNG couple, very very nice. I took them everywhere - and I mean everywhere!!! I found them a GREAT deal on the perfect home, they loved it. put in a verbal, (which was my first mistake) and then they dropped the ball. They thought I was too pushy for them - I guess they didnt understand the timeframe when putting in an offer to actually signing contracts and such. Actually, it didnt bother me if they wouldnt have purchased the house at all, I would have showed them 50 more, but they thought I was pressuring them to buy. What I was doing was trying to get them to understand the urgency of getting the formal papers signed etc etc. I have to say, I will NEVER do a verbal offer again and have my repuation on the line. Interestingly enough, someone did buy that house for the same amount the same day I called the listing agent and told them that my buyers weren't buying~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a good lesson learned here by ME
I always go in first, with a verbal, those that wont sign after the verbal, probably wouldnt have signed before one, out of fear of signing a legally binding contract.

They most likely just were not ready.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:01 PM

Captain Bill

No offense taken at all, I didnt feel I was putting myself on any hot seat here lol. I agree with all of what you are saying and of course, I didnt want to take up a ton of room and go into detail. I have a very strong personality and try to get my clients the home they want for the best price. These folks just werent ready, imho. I did explain everything to them prior, they got cold feet, again imho. They are more laid back than those in sales, and like I said, I personally didn't care if they purchased this one or another, I explained time frames and everything to them. They didnt want to use my inspector that I recommended or mortgage person, which is totally fine with me!! But, if you want to use your own contacts, there is still a time frame involved.

Well, was I fired? I would think so, since the email they sent me said, they will no longer need my services. But they were very gracious and I liked them as well, and wish them the best of luck!!!! honestly.

I take everything with a grain of salt, I am not mad at anyone over this, and I will just explain in more detail next time. I don't run around getting mad at anyone, everyone finds a comfort level with someone. I hope the next realtor has as much patience as I did with them, and they get what they want.

I hope they find what they are looking for, they are really a nice couple.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:08 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,226,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
What I was doing was trying to get them to understand the urgency of getting the formal papers signed etc etc. E
Perhaps the urgency you felt wasn't shared by the clients. It's almost never fails that if I have an agenda, the client senses that and the transaction fails to gel. I try to put myself in my clients shoes from the first moment I meet them.

It only took me a few dozen years to figure that out, you're probably smarter than me.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Perhaps the urgency you felt wasn't shared by the clients. It's almost never fails that if I have an agenda, the client senses that and the transaction fails to gel. I try to put myself in my clients shoes from the first moment I meet them.

It only took me a few dozen years to figure that out, you're probably smarter than me.
I have to agree with you on that, and I've learned apparently to tone down..the sad part is that they lost on a really great deal, not that another one won't come up, but still, it really was a good one for them, and just what they wanted. I am sure eventually they will find something, or maybe they are going to go back to renting?? I've wished them much luck though.....and I mean it.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:49 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,872,458 times
Quote:
Interestingly enough, someone did buy that house for the same amount the same day I called the listing agent and told them that my buyers weren't buying~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just a thought...how do you know it wasn't them?

Old 02-05-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
Just a thought...how do you know it wasn't them?

Because I've done my own "due diligence" in regard to this. That was my exact thoughts from the beginning. Great minds think alike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals