Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 12:38 PM

13 posts, read 42,223 times

Advertisements

Lately I've been getting a huge influx of last minute showings.

I don't necessarily mind last minute showings, it's an annoying interruption but I knew to expect it. What I do mind, is the type of potential buyers and feedback I'm getting from most of these last minute showings:

"Loved home but beyond client's affordability."
"Clients may consider placing an offer once their home has sold."
(and my personal favourite) "Clients expect to list their home next week and are just trying to get a feel for what's available."

Why the urgency of last minute showings, then? I know realtors understand the major inconvenience last minute showings put upon sellers. So why even entertain the idea when the clients are clearly not yet in a position to buy?

I'm hoping somebody could shed a little perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 12:51 PM

306 posts, read 1,245,241 times
Elledee - and others.
What do you consider a "last minute showing"?

Old 02-06-2008, 01:23 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,743,367 times
Realtors pretty much have to be ready on-demand of their clients.

However, even though a person seeing your home may not be the buyer for it, they may know someone who is. Even the community member who is previewing your home so they can price their own. They may know someone that wants your home.

So be happy that people are seeing your home. Also, don't hesitate to go and see your competitors homes so you know what your competition is like. If your competitors home gets sold, then you have one less competitor. That's good.

Realtors who preview and know all of the homes in a community and hold open houses there have a good chance of selling one of those when they do open houses.

Let's say that realtor jack brought a neighbor who is a listing prospect to preview your home. Now jack knows your home and so does your neighbor. Next month jack is doing an open house for neighbor and someone comes there who doesn't like neighbors house. Jack asks what they're looking for, and the home they describe is yours. Jack makes haste and shows them your house and presto, you have a buyer. It happens. And it could have been your neighbor whose work associate is looking for a home. Neighbor likes her realtor jack and refers her to jack to go see your home. Good neighbor helps to sell your home. That happens also.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:25 PM

631 posts, read 2,439,959 times
You never know who the buyer is.
I've sold lots of land to people who said " We're not going to buy anything".
My attitude is, yeah, right, lets go shopping and let me show you what you're not going to buy.
As their signing the contract, they remember, oh yeah! We wern't going to buy anything.

I don't like listing homes that people live in as it is an inconvienance to the seller and I'm sure more qualifying should be done than I have to do.
I just show for the most part and don't personally get hung up on qualifying someone as it's all in the numbers in the end. X showings = X sales.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:24 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,511,864 times
We had a last min showing yesterday and the feed back beautiful home but out of our price range.
We found out the night before from our realtor that in one of the monthly mag that just came out they put in our price $100,000 less then it should have been. I wonder how many more showing I will get like that and there is nothing the mag can do?

Old 02-06-2008, 03:36 PM

13 posts, read 42,223 times
Thank you for the replies.

Personally, I define last minute showings as anything less than 2 hours notice. But that's just me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about getting showings, the more the better!

I have a better understanding now why my house is being shown to 'unqualified buyers' (for lack of a better term). But I still don't understand the urgency.

The last showing I had, I had a whopping 35 minutes notice. I think most can imagine my frustration when I found out their home wasn't even listed and they were just browsing. Why not make the appointment for the next day or the weekend? Is there a reason for this, or are the realtors simply placating to difficult clients?

Any thoughts/input is appreciated!

Old 02-06-2008, 05:38 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,099,401 times
One of my realtors finally put a statement in the listing (seen only by other agents) to the effect that showings were limited to people who were prequalified for the purchase price. It didn't actually stop agents from asking for showings if their clients' preapproval amount was in the "ballpark". It did stop all the annoyance showings, e.g., lowballers and peepers.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:59 PM

631 posts, read 2,439,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elledee75 View Post
The last showing I had, I had a whopping 35 minutes notice. I think most can imagine my frustration when I found out their home wasn't even listed and they were just browsing. Why not make the appointment for the next day or the weekend? Is there a reason for this, or are the realtors simply placating to difficult clients?
Any thoughts/input is appreciated!
Who knows what was going on.
Sometimes we don't know we have a difficult customer until we're in it with them. This past week we've had 2 diff. appts back to back that had us book appts for a cabin showing. The lady lives there so of course she was ready for us. Lady #1 decided she loved it, but didn't want a cabin. After 5 agonizing days with her, guess what? She bought a cabin. Just a diff. one and we closed in 2 days. Man #2 had my associate show the same lady's cabin and a couple of other ones. Then, not until the weather got bad and it was getting late he told her, ok I lied to you, I really want to see Lot X and he's not buying a cabin. He bought Lot X.
Hence the term, buyers are liers.
Did we want to choke them? Yes! They start out knowing they are going to buy something. But before they pull the trigger, they feel they own the broker. Run them into the ground just seeing **** their curious about and wasting time as their on vacation anyway and wanted to see the countyside! Then they finally get down to business. You just never know!

I do feel your pain. Sometimes I want to put my own house up for sale, but I do dread having to have it ready to show. I'm almost thinking about listing it with someone else and telling them they can only show it when I'm not home.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:22 PM

15,518 posts, read 40,267,236 times
The buyers may have been out of town buyers that decided to see your house before flying back...there are a lot of reasons for short notices. To me, I would consider anything less than 1 hour short notice, so there may be an issue of expectations at play here.

I agree with Captain Bill that you want agents previewing your home, but I don't ask sellers to leave when I preview. I just want to see the features of the home.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:50 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,777,124 times
It seems you'd be able to have the listing agent modify the showing instructions. I'd discuss this with your agent - to strike a good ballance between getting buyers in your home, and not inconveniencing you unecessarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals