Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 10:22 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,014 times

Advertisements

How much time before we feel our home is actually ready to be listed, should we hire an agent? We are in the process of completing a remodel, nearly finished with new paint, new carpet has been ordered and install is approx. 2 weeks, and I have trim to install. We had a home inspection performed as a preemptive service in order to correct anything that may be an issue and we are clearing as much "stuff" out of the house as we can. If all goes well, I think that in 3-4 weeks we will have the house in a position I think suitable for listing.

Given this information, do we begin the interview and enlistment process now, or wait a little longer?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 02:16 PM

818 posts, read 1,066,796 times
I would have suggested interviewing agents prior to doing your remodel efforts to make sure you were putting your hard earned money into things that would give you the best return for your dollar. Interview several agents and look at their statistics (sales to list price ratios, # of listings cancelled/expired/withdrawn, their BBB rating, as well as their individual marketing plan for your home.

Once you figure out which agent is best for you, they can start doing work behind the scenes immediately even before your home is officially listed on the MLS.

Best of luck!
Jim

Old 03-20-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBroker View Post
I would have suggested interviewing agents prior to doing your remodel efforts to make sure you were putting your hard earned money into things that would give you the best return for your dollar. Interview several agents and look at their statistics (sales to list price ratios, # of listings cancelled/expired/withdrawn, their BBB rating, as well as their individual marketing plan for your home.

Once you figure out which agent is best for you, they can start doing work behind the scenes immediately even before your home is officially listed on the MLS.

Best of luck!
Jim
Thanks for the response!
As to "their statistics (sales to list price ratios, # of listings cancelled/expired/withdrawn", how does one go about finding that information, or is that something the agent should be able to provide for me? The BBB ratings I have explored and all are A+. Their marketing plans is a question near the top of my list.

The remodel I began over two years ago and have done 100% on my own, with one exception, that will be the carpet install. Including tools and materials, I remodeled both bathrooms completely but for the tubs, one I had re-glazed. I installed new tile floor and bath surround, vanities, toilets, plumbing and lighting fixtures, exhaust fans. New kitchen and downstairs flooring, new paint throughout the house (2000 sqft two story), crown moulding, solid core doors - 8 total, new trim and base moulding, custom stairs and railing, other light fixtures, 1 standard exterior entry and 1 french door to the rear deck, for a running total of $12k and my labor.With the upcoming carpet install and remaining misc., the total will be about $15k. Keeping an eye on the market in this neighborhood the past several years, the appraised value of my home and what comps are going for, I expect to glean $30k to $45k for my investment.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:58 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Sometimes it takes a week to order professional photos. I would start interviewing now.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:03 PM

818 posts, read 1,066,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
Thanks for the response!
As to "their statistics (sales to list price ratios, # of listings cancelled/expired/withdrawn", how does one go about finding that information, or is that something the agent should be able to provide for me?
I don't think there is any public portal or data source you can get this from so you will have to ask the agent for it. I know some MLS systems allow higher level of access to brokers and managers and as the broker owner of my own company, I can pull this data for other agents when I compete against them.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I don't think there is any public portal or data source you can get this from so you will have to ask the agent for it. I know some MLS systems allow higher level of access to brokers and managers and as the broker owner of my own company, I can pull this data for other agents when I compete against them.
I will be sure to ask for it then, thanks!

Old 03-22-2016, 08:14 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,006 times
NOW! In fact, a couple of months ago would have been good, too. Almost any real estate agent would be happy to review your staging and sprucing up, and let you know where your decorating money will have the most impact. It gives the agent a chance to do a thorough job of comparative market analysis, scope the competition, and line up professional photography, etc.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:54 PM

42 posts, read 40,180 times
Quote:

Best of luck!
Jim

I agree 100% I was going to say prior to the remodel.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:29 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
NOW! In fact, a couple of months ago would have been good, too. Almost any real estate agent would be happy to review your staging and sprucing up, and let you know where your decorating money will have the most impact. It gives the agent a chance to do a thorough job of comparative market analysis, scope the competition, and line up professional photography, etc.
Does this include actually signing the contract with the agent? I imagine they'd be constantly asking for updates to begin showing after a contract is signed.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:19 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Plan ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
had a home inspection performed as a preemptive service in order to correct anything that may be an issue
Do NOT fix everything.
Leave at least 6 small items for their inspector to find.
Inspectors have to find something wrong to justify their effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals